• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

where to get cheapest weight

danielkusuma

what is the approx price of cheapest weight in Melbourne or Australia? and where to buy it, anyone have suggestion? on rebelsport for 5 kg its 20 aud is that cheap?

Sportsmart have it for $3 a kg. That's where I buy it if I cant get what I need off eBay.

I would never buy anything from "Ripoffsport"

What kind of weights?

Are you going to be deadlifting or cleaning?

What floor surface?

Olympic or standard plates?

I get my equipment from Australian Kettlebells and Gym direct.

standard one, i use carpet at home :p. im using the ausbb beginner training. I think im gonna buy from rebel sport + 18$ shipping.. wew i dont have cars and im goin to buy 20 kilos more by bus?.. that takes a lot of time

I picked some up on special about a year ago, 2- 25kg plates for $2 per kilo. Did the old ring a round and that was the best place i could find. Fitness concepts here in Adelaide if i remember correctly.

To begin with why would you want 'the cheapest plates available'? cheap plates are inaccurate (eg, a 25kg plate isnt 25kg) and the rubber literally rots. In the end you dont save money.

As Australians have a tradition of rubber coated weights (less wear and tear on floors and bars) and because they're generally in the same price range, I'll walk you through some ones I like:

LFS Sydney - Hammertone olympic plates $2.30/kg

LFS EXERCISE AND FITNESS WEIGHTS

Definitely the cheapest plates around and they look okay, though I've had no experience with them. I'd contact the seller and get them to tell you just how accurate they are.

Gymandfitness - standard rubber coated plate $3/kg (gymdirect sells these too)

Gym Equipment, Fitness Equipment, Home Gym Equipment, Power Racks, Multi Gyms, Weight benches

These guys have quoted me that most of the plates which come through are 1-2% accuracy and never more than a 1kg off. They seem tough, very thin and there are lots of package deals you can get where you basically get a free barbell. If I had my time again I'd buy these exclusively.

Shu Trading - rubber coated olympic weight plates ?/kg

Shu Trade,gymnastic rings,plyometric boxes,clubbell,kettlebell,weight vest,plates,rack,power sled,sled,medicine ball,medi ball,rubber mat - Home

I was recommended these from a big name rugby coach and crossfit affiliate in Brisbane. He swears they're better quality than the ones from gymandfitness and as they're completely identical to my york plates I'm inclined to agree. My only whinge is that they're quite thick.

Sizes to get weight plates:
- 0.25 x 2 (make these out of chain at Bunnings)
- 0.5 x 4 (with the 0.25s these make microplates)
- 1.25 x 2
- 2.5 x 2
- 5 x 2
- 10 x 2
- 15 x 2
- 25 x as many as possible

Notice that I skipped the 20s? they're unnecessary if you've got 15s and 25s and if you wanna put 300kg on the bar down the track (and if you dont gtfo) they'll serve you much better. Wont fit on a plate rack though.

Rubber Coated/Hammertone Weight Plates

what is the approx price of cheapest weight in Melbourne or Australia? and where to buy it, anyone have suggestion? on rebelsport for 5 kg its 20 aud is that cheap?

$4/kg is a bit steep!

standard one, i use carpet at home :p. im using the ausbb beginner training. I think im gonna buy from rebel sport + 18$ shipping.. wew i dont have cars and im goin to buy 20 kilos more by bus?.. that takes a lot of time

We've heard of a few retailers ^^^ not mentioning any names ;p that sell weight plates as "Standards" that are actually 25-26mm. Just make sure you double check before buying.

Not far off, and you wont need to catch a bus lol

Standard Size Hammer tone

20kg plate for $55 is very reasonable

$2.75/kg is a good price for Hammertone plates.

We stock:
  • Rubber Coated plates at $2.95/kg
  • Hammertone plates at $2.75/kg
  • Duracast plates at $1.95/kg

Of course, they're cheaper if you need a package put together.

LOL. Love the thread mining.

I think there's a few plate suppliers around the traps these days and prices can and do vary considerably.

For example, we have:

• Rubber Coated olympic plates at $2.90/kg
  • Hammertone standard plates at $2.45/kg

With cheaper pricing in packages. (No duracast plates from us :))

BUT I agree with Oli and think it's important to ask more questions of your supplier than just price - things like what the diameter of the center holes of their plates is (25mm-26mm on standard will limit your bar choices, 52mm on olympic can cause the plates to wobble), what tolerances are on their plates (ie if the plate says 5kg, does it weigh 5kg, or could its weight be anywhere between 4.5kg and 5.5kg), how long is the warranty and what does it cover, do the rubber plates have a steel bush, and etc.

These are little things that can impact on your training now and long term.

Yep - as a consumer, I'm always the PITA that asks lots of questions....