• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can genes predict athletic performance?

just read that link to ACTN3 on wiki page. its been said that olympic sprinters tend to have 80% fast twitch muscle fibres, and for the norm its said to be 50, 50 fast and slow twitch.
due to this does that mean if 2 olympic sprinters or weightlifters male and female were to conceive a child would that child have a higher percentage of fast twitch fibres from birth? would thta child turn out to be a good sprinter?

im not to sure of that as there are plenty of sprinters/ lifters who have had children and the children once grown have never really been better than there parents, or anyone else.
so it still doesnt change the fact that working hard and training/eating your heart out is the only way to be noticed in something and be that bit better than everyone else.

They do it with horses.

The Chinese were breeding tigers but through the same gene, they discovered that it was creating a defective line of animal or something like that.

These days in our society; dumb breeds dumb and it's rewarded.

Your missing the point.

Far too many people complain that they have poor genetics. Its a cop out. By claiming you have poor genetics you get away from having to try.

Its like the term, the harder I train, the luckier I get. Its used by Golfers and Tennis players.

Its a generic term, people like to point at others and give a reason why they are better than themselves.

I think you missed the gist of it, never mind.

I understand what you are saying, and have heard the sayings before,. but the statement is just not accuarate..

I even allude to the main point of you get out what you put in, by my comments on maxes acheivments.

Other saying that comes to mind is "shit in,....shit out" and it can be applied to most things.

Oh and luck favours the prepared.

But yes, certain individuals may have a natural or conditioned ability to adapt better than others.. Yes the topic does lend itself to some interesting thoughts, especially when you think about some of the points raised about different ethnicities and how they tend to excell at different things..

Scientists and politicians ruining things,.... umm thats pretty generalised, maybe it is how individuals percieve information, or how they interpret it, and then pass it on, maybe not knowing all the facts or thinking it through first.. In the end we are all individuals capable of making choices and expressing ourselves. some poeple make a mess of stuff others acheive greatness...

Last edited: