• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Muscle Soreness / Recovery.

k_21

Good ppl of AUSBB,

I hit the gym and my muscles are sore 2days
later (Generally the 2nd day is the most sore).

I've been in the gym for about a month now
consistently. However, some exercises (eg:
Seated dumbbell for shoulders) I don't feel a
thing!

My question are:

1. Is this because I haven't worked them hard
enough??

2. Or is it that my body is recovering quicker?

3. How often do you guys change the exercise

for the same muscle group? And is this recommended?
Eg: from Flat bench press, to
incline bench pres for example?

Thanks
Devante.

Post your weekly workout to give us an idea what you are asking.

In my experiance a good muscle soreness is a result of doing a particular exercise not often enough or doing it incorrectly.
Either way- if you can walk you are not to worry about it, try some form of active recovery, like walking , actually -IMO... walking is the only form of active recovery.

Last edited:
when you find yourself sitting on the loo & you can't get up because your legs are killing you, that's called muscle soreness.

I've started to feel a decent amount of muscle soreness in my quads since donig exclusivly olympic lifts (front squats, power cleans, snatches et al), the soreness is possibly that they are fairly new exercises in the sense that i have never put direct training attention into these movements & new fibers are being torn & rebuilt.

what's sore & when ?

Once I do my upper body work out I'm sore
within two days (bearable and I enjoy it. Makes
me feel like I've done a good work out). However,
my shoulders are NEVER sore. So i was wondering
if I have not trained them correctly?:eek:

I do seated shoulder presses using dumb bells normally.

Thanks

fcuked if i know, all that i know is that you do seated shoulder presses in terms of exercises. Are you working to failure, till you can't do another rep ? How many sets are you doing ? Can you at least give us/me an example of what a typical workout would look like.

Once I do my upper body work out I'm sore
within two days (bearable and I enjoy it. Makes
me feel like I've done a good work out). However,
my shoulders are NEVER sore. So i was wondering
if I have not trained them correctly?:eek:

I do seated shoulder presses using dumb bells normally.

Thanks

This comment just proves my point.

How much movement around the shoulder joint?
More often than not trainees do not understand how much work is going on here.
I can back it in you don't have a clue what I'm fukin talking about.

Man-up and squat more

I'll say it now, even tho I'll prolly say it 1000 times between now & when i die...

pretty much all lifts have something to do with your shoulders. Don't forget that with all rules, there's always an exception.

When you bench press, your shoulders are working. when your rowing, your shoulders are working. when your doing bicep curls, your shoulders are working, when your doing front raises, your...shoulders are working. Even when your squatting, your shoulders are working a bit, mostly just to keep the bar from falling backwards or forwards (either way you'll get stappled to the ground). Do you see my point

Good ppl of AUSBB,

I hit the gym and my muscles are sore 2days
later (Generally the 2nd day is the most sore).

I'm the same.

I've been in the gym for about a month now
consistently. However, some exercises (eg:
Seated dumbbell for shoulders) I don't feel a
thing!

Same again!

1. Is this because I haven't worked them hard
enough??

No.

2. Or is it that my body is recovering quicker?

You've answered your own question when you decided to use the word "some". Some exercise you feel, whilst others you don't.

3. How often do you guys change the exercise
for the same muscle group? And is this recommended?
Eg: from Flat bench press, to incline bench pres for example?

I've already written about this subject on this forum. What is it to change your exercise as far as the muscle is concerned? It's the muscle that is at the heart of this discussion let's not forget. So to a muscle, a change of hand spacing on a bar, would be recognised as a change in stimulus and would require new adaptation which would necessitate muscle hypertrophy.

Example: Barbell curls hand spaced at shoulder width. From here, one can go narrower or wider. Try it to feel what I'm sharing with you here. These were three exercises for the biceps there.

A leg press is a classic example with the way one places his feet on the foot plate; high, low, wide, normal, toes out. All these little variations place a different emphasis on the leg/gluteal muscles.

Fadi.

I'll say it now, even tho I'll prolly say it 1000 times between now & when i die...

pretty much all lifts have something to do with your shoulders. Don't forget that with all rules, there's always an exception.

When you bench press, your shoulders are working. when your rowing, your shoulders are working. when your doing bicep curls, your shoulders are working, when your doing front raises, your...shoulders are working. Even when your squatting, your shoulders are working a bit, mostly just to keep the bar from falling backwards or forwards (either way you'll get stappled to the ground). Do you see my point

Ed Zachery and very nicely written.

Mr. Fadi,

I appreciate your expert comments and taking
the time to write so throughly.

You have answred all my questions! :D

Thanks for the info rest of you as well.

Interesting response

what does ****t mean? I can't work that one out.

Last edited by a moderator:
PowerBuilder, I wasn't being smart, Ed Zachery means exactly, I liked the way you post and I especially liked the one you posted in this thread.

Instead of just shooting off at the mouth like an tool all you needed to do was clarify what I was saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I don't like these type of exchanges gentlemen; so let's keep the peace OK! Thank you.

Fadi.

Powerbuilder, pull your head in son. Silverback gave you a compliment and that's the reply.
Get with it boy.
Language like that won't get you far.

Don't worry Silver, PB can be hot headed sometimes.

Gents,

I'm taking this thread back to it's original
post.

So I happened to be watching the boxing/cardio
class working out the other night. I actully have
been doing this for a few weeks now. The trainer
has caught me doing this and came up and started
talking to me on Wed. He says what's with the
watching and NOT joining???:confused:

I happen to explain that I am an ex-kickboxer and
just love seeing ppl train hard and also gives me a
chance to 'refresh' my mind with moves.

Anyway, he says that his class does a 'Manny Pacquiao'
style arm work out using 1kg dumbbells and for me to
join. I reluctantly do so.

:eek: Holy blessed mother!!! I dropped the weights and
just used my arm weight and STILL got me no-where.

My shoulders have been KILLING me last two days!!:D

I am a believer and will be joining the class for cardio.

So here's the work out if anyone is interested.

Two 1kg weights in each hand.

- Start by holding them in front of you for 60sec
- Next to the sides (similar to spreading wings motion) 60 sec
- punching in the air for 30 sec's and then same but as many
punches as you can for 30 sec
- Back to holding them in front shoulder raises with
alternative hands for 60 sec.
- Punching in the air for 30sec and then as many punches
as you can for 30sec.

Generally this goes for 10 minute circuit. If you are still
standing repeat process.

Thanks