• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to master the Power Clean

PowerBuilder

How To Master The Power Clean

by Bryan Krahn

TMuscle.com
If you learned everything you knew about training from your local Bally's or 24 Hour Fitness, you could be forgiven for thinking that a squat is an exercise performed in a Smith machine with a padded tube wrapped around the middle of the bar, or that a pull-up is something you need a special body-weight-neutralizing machine to perform, or that "mixing things up" means doing preacher curls before incline curls, instead of the other way around. You aren't that guy, of course, but just for a moment imagine that you are. Picture yourself in the gym one morning or evening, going through your usual lower-body routine of leg presses, leg extensions, and leg curls, when you see a guy do something completely foreign to your eyes.

He loads an Olympic barbell with a 45-pound plate on each side, and sets it on the floor. Since you've rarely seen anyone in this gym lift a weight from the floor, you have to stop what you're doing and watch.

He crouches over the bar, with his knees bent and back more or less parallel to the floor. First he pulls it past his knees, which doesn't seem terribly odd. But then he suddenly straightens his body and shrugs his shoulders while rising up on his toes, flinging the bar up the front of his legs and torso before ducking down into a squat as the bar lands on the front of his shoulders. He descends into a full squat, then rises back up until he's standing straight with 135 pounds of metal sitting next to his collarbones.

You aren't sure what you just witnessed. It looks like something you once saw a 4-foot, 10-inch Bulgarian do in the Olympics, except that lift somehow ended with the bar over the little guy's head. You've certainly never seen an American lift like this. The lifter bangs out three more reps before he sets the bar on the floor and steps back to catch his breath. You notice that everyone in the weight room has stopped to watch, including the gym's trainers, who seem convinced the guy has broken a rule, even if they can't decide which one.

Six Reasons to Get Your Clean On

As I said, you aren't that guy. You'd know a power clean if you saw one. But, unless you played sports in college or dabble in CrossFit, chances are you haven't yet tried them, or done them with the frequency and intensity it takes to see results.

Should you?

If you're an athlete, power cleans and other modified Olympic lifts get an enthusiastic thumbs up. The movement pattern may not precisely mimic anything you'd do on a field or mat, but the total-body power it helps you develop is useful in just about everything. "Athletes have to react to any change in their playing environment quicker than their opponent," says TMUSCLE contributor Matthieu Hertilus. "Lifting explosively can help."
For bodybuilders, the answer is also yes, but for different and somewhat more nuanced reasons:

1. Cleans recruit more muscles than standard gym exercises
"Very few, if any, other strength exercises involve more articulations," says veteran TMUSCLE coach Christian Thibadeau. A power clean involves movement at the ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, elbow, and wrist joints. That means you're using your calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, spinal erectors, traps, deltoids, and forearms, as well as the core muscles that come into play to stabilize your spine throughout the movement. Cleans, Thibaudeau says, "are unparalleled in terms of implicated muscle mass."

2. Cleans makes you a better lifter
Even the most serious lifters in today's gyms rarely attempt exercises more complex than squats, deadlifts, and bench presses — all of which are great exercises for strength and size development. But adding power cleans to your programs can make you better at those lifts. "When you build explosive strength, you train the muscles to more readily activate the higher-threshold motor units," says author, coach, and neurophysiology nerd Chad Waterbury. "The best bench pressers in the world have tons of explosive strength. If you've ever watched a world-champion bench presser train, you'll notice how fast the barbell accelerates compared to the lesser mortals." You'll also develop better balance and coordination, improving your form on front squats and other classic muscle-building exercises.

3. Cleans get you yoked
Well-developed glutes, hamstrings, and spinal erectors are crucial for athletes as well as bodybuilders. But you can develop those posterior-chain muscles with deadlifts, squats, good mornings, glute-ham raises, and just about any other lower-body exercises you'll find in the powerlifting playbook. Power cleans bring one more set of muscles into the mix: upper traps. "The traps have to fire explosively in conjunction with the legs to accelerate the bar upward with enough force to get you underneath the bar," Hertilus says. "Look at some of the best middleweight Olympic weightlifters and you'll see the density of their traps."

4. Cleans help you get ripped
Even when performed for relatively low reps with long rest intervals, power cleans are metabolically taxing, due to their explosive nature and enormous muscle recruitment. You can intensify this effect by bumping up the reps and decreasing rest periods. But, with apologies to our friends at CrossFit, it's not a good idea to go ape**** with the volume. Power cleans are among the most technique-sensitive lifts you can tackle, and when volume comes at the expense of form, you're putting yourself (and possibly those around you) at risk for an injury. Even if you don't get hurt, you don't want to reinforce faulty recruitment patterns by lifting with sloppy form while you're fatigued.

5. Cleans work your core
You need a strong core for all the major multijoint lifts that employ heavy loads, like squats, deadlifts, and weighted chins. That's especially true for power cleans and other explosive lifts. But once you're ready to add cleans to your routine, you'll find your core strength improves rapidly and dramatically. "Lifting explosively requires the recruitment of many additional muscles to stabilize your body," Waterbury says. "This builds total-body stability and strength."

6. Cleans just look cool
Anyone can do a biceps curl or leg extension. They're the first things they teach newbies at commercial gyms. Power cleans are at the opposite end of the exercise hierarchy. You need a solid base of conditioning, coordination, and weight-room experience before you learn the exercise, and then you need focus and effort to master it. It'll be a while before you're ready to pull heavy weights from the floor to your shoulders.
But once you're there, you'll be among a small percentage of lifters who can do one of the best exercises in the world for strength, power, muscular development, and overall conditioning. And you'd better believe the other lifters in your gym will notice.

A Sober Approach to the Clean

Sometimes you'll hear the power clean described as the sum of its component parts — a deadlift followed by an upright row followed by a front squat. And if that's the way you approach it, you'll probably have trouble mastering the exercise. It's better to think of it as a vertical jump with a controlled landing. "The key is pushing the ground away from you as forcefully as possible, and pulling yourself underneath the bar to catch it," Hertilus says.

Starting position
Stand with your feet between hip- and shoulder-width apart, with toes pointed outward slightly. Squat down and grab the bar with an overhand grip, your arms just outside your legs. Keep your back flat or slightly arched, your chest up, and your shoulder blades retracted. The initial set-up is similar to the deadlift, except you want your shoulders farther out in front of the bar, as you see in the picture to your right. You should feel tension in your hamstrings; it means your posterior-chain muscles are loaded for the lift.

First pull
"In the clean, there is the first pull and then the second pull. They are continuous, but distinct," says strength coach Charles Staley. Although the first pull looks like a deadlift, the technique is different. Staley cautions you not to try to rip the bar off the floor. "The lift starts off slowly and then culminates into an explosive, full-body extension," he says. Start by pulling with your legs, straightening your knees so the bar can travel on a straight upward path while staying close to your body. "This is also a good time to emphasize a small yet crucial detail, which is to turn the elbows out," Hertilus says. That will help you avoid using your arms in the second pull, which will slow you down and minimize the work performed by your traps. Your shoulders are still out in front of the bar, with your hips high.
Transition

As the bar rises above your knees, thrust your hips forward, pulling your body upright. Your knees will bend slightly as the bar moves past them, but this isn't something you need to focus on.

Second pull
This begins the "power" portion of the power clean. As you straighten your knees and hips, you're going to pull so hard that you come all the way up on your toes. This is the "vertical jump" part of the lift. When your lower-body joints reach full extension, rapidly and violently shrug your shoulders to give the bar maximum upward velocity. At this point of the lift, your arms are still straight, with your elbows turned out, as the bar moves straight up along your torso. It's important not to pull with your arms. They're the equivalent of lifting straps at this point — you just need them to hold the bar, not accelerate it.

Catch!!!
As your shoulders get as high as they're going to go, reverse directions and pull your body back under the bar. This includes two simultaneous movements:

• Bend your knees and hips to a quarter- or half-squat position.
• Bend and rotate your arms under the bar so your upper arms are parallel to the floor and the bar rests on your front deltoids.

Even though you're catching the bar, rather than projecting it upwards, there's nothing passive about this part of the clean. You're forcefully pulling your body bac

Stand up to complete the repetition, then lower the bar to the floor ... unless you can get away with dropping it, which is a lot more fun.

Variations on a Clean

As you can tell from the detailed description of the exercise, it's not something you can expect to do competently the first or second time you try it. It takes time. You may want to start with these variations:

Clean shrug from hang
This exercise focuses entirely on the second pull, helping you learn to extend your body while forcefully shrugging your shoulders to generate maximum upward momentum on the bar.

Start with the bar just above your knees, which is the transition stage of the power clean. You want your hips bent so your torso and thighs form a 135-degree angle. Put another way, your arms, which hang straight down toward the floor, form a 45-degree angle with your torso. Push yourself away from the floor as fast and powerfully as you can, straightening your knees and hips and coming all the way up on your toes. Shrug your shoulders to complete the second pull. Instead of dropping down and catching the bar, stop the exercise there, and lower the bar for the next rep.

Quick warning: No matter how many shrugs you've done recently, nothing prepares your traps for this exercise. You will be sore the next day, and the day after, and quite possibly the day after that. Hang clean progression In the video to your right, Hertilus demonstrates three versions of the hang clean. The first starts with the bar just around mid-thigh level. The second begins just above the knees, and then the third starts just below the knees. (The fourth lift is the full power clean from the floor.) In case you're wondering what he's doing in between variations on the video, it has nothing to do with the exercise. He's just adjusting his grip. When you start doing power cleans from the floor with heavier weights, you'll want to reset your grip with each repetition.

The bar will roll across your palms to the ends of your fingers when you catch it on your shoulders, and it doesn't always roll back to the correct position in your hands when you lower it. You may, for example, find you're holding the bar with eight or nine fingers, instead of the perfect 10. It's not a problem to lower the bar with a digital deficit, but you sure as hell don't want to try to lift it without all your soldiers on the front line.

You can also start the hang clean from an elevated position, with the bar resting on blocks or the safety bars of a squat rack.

Last edited:
which is a real shame, because let's face it, doing it is cool lol if you've got the option of doing it in a powerrack, then you can always rack it, after all, it is at chest height

Great article.
I tried doing these today with 40kg ahah its a lot more technical. I can't get the speed to pull the weight and squat down.

I am going good. I'm not squating down to rack the bar on my shoulders. More just having it come up fast enough I don't need to squat down. I need to practice fronts squats to get an idea of how to do it.

control it back down, i control it down to knee height then just drop it. ive had pt's tell me not to drop the weights, i just tell them to tell me a different way of putting it down, they got nothing then and i continue on.

i lift at home in my loft without bumper plates, dropping any weight from shoulder height isnt an option for me. i have no trouble lowering the weight down but its the first bit that seems to be the problem, getting it from the catch position in my finger tips to actually gripping the bar so i can lower it.