• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

kindred

I got a gym membership to a 24 hour gym that is 100% machines acept dumbbells. Because i wanted to lift weights before work which i couldnt do with my home gym as it wakes the people next door.

ANYWAY

I was thinking today about machines in most gyms. I know free weights are better but can some stuff in the gym actually be ok? Some of the machine i was specifically thinking of is:

- assisted pull-up machine
- ab machines (they leave my abs burning so they must be doing somethin)
- Smith machine (im convinced they do something I just dont know what)
- rowing machines
- stationery bike
- lat pull down (?? i dunno about these)
- deadlift/squat machine (this is a new one i only saw today it isnt a machine as such but it tilts up like a wheel barrow but you add weight to it.)

Im not a fan of biceps machines or leg machines of any sort.

Machines in gym whats good whats bad?

It's not the machines per se but your effort and training plan that counts. You can become a MR. Olympia using only machines, or be a total unknown using only free weights. I know, they are some big statements I'm making here; but I'm trying to emphasise that it's the way you train instead of your reliance on this machine or that d/bell that is at the heart of the matter.

It’s no different with knowledge; it’s not how much you know, but what you do with what you know that counts. Are you with me kindred?

Fadi.

Yep I know what you mean. I think im gonna need to learn more about dumb-bells tho as i cant fint in some of the machines there. I think they were build for gnomes.

yeah but you better chuck some more popcorn in the microwave, Morgan just tried to blend the last lot into a shake, said something about waxy maize is good carbs or something.....

For bodybuilding, a good machine would be one which targets your intended muscle/s, through a full range of motion preferably, which feels comfortable with your body proportions, which can have increased resistance easily as you progress.

There are alot of good plate loaded leverage machines for all different exercises, like Hammer Strength, if they are isolateral, it's even better.
Some cable machines can be good too, for certain exercises, you can do so much with just a lat pulldown machine which also has a low pulley.

Last edited:
It's not the machines per se but your effort and training plan that counts.[/QUOTE]Agree 100%

Your muscles only know work/resistance. They can't differentiate between how that resistance is created. For example, machine shoulder press, dumbbell shoulder press and barbell shoulder press all equal a load on the shoulder (and assistance) muscles when you ask those muscles to lift the load.

Yes you will be limited by the variations you can use with your training, but you should still be able to perform and adequate workout.

Has anyone ever looked at Dorian Yates doing machine pullovers? Machines are effective, use it correctly and pile on the weight with good form. Smith machine squats and shoulder press's are great in a smith machine, try doing rows in a smith machine. Use both effectively. Isolation stuff like rear delt etc can help bring up that delt when all your press's overuse the front delts.
AZZA

"Your muscles only know work/resistance. They can't differentiate between how that resistance is created. For example, machine shoulder press, dumbbell shoulder press and barbell shoulder press all equal a load on the shoulder (and assistance) muscles when you ask those muscles to lift the load.

Yes you will be limited by the variations you can use with your training, but you should still be able to perform and adequate workout."

Have you ever done a standing miliatary press? You cannot seriously say there is an equal load on the shoulders whilst doing a SMP compared to sitting in a poofy machine pressing straight up from a seated position. You are using NO assistance muscles, the shoulders are just having to press up, instead of hold the bar steady and press up at the same time.

I could go on forever......

Have you ever done a standing miliatary press?
Yes, regularly.

You cannot seriously say there is an equal load on the shoulders whilst doing a SMP compared to sitting in a poofy machine pressing straight up from a seated position.
Don't belive I said that? However I did say that they both equal a load, not they both have an equal load.

You are using NO assistance muscles, the shoulders are just having to press up, instead of hold the bar steady and press up at the same time.
I agree (partially). Yes you are using assistance muscles, even stabilisation muscles - you just anre't working your stablisation muscles as hard. Regardless, they do both create a load on the shoulders and the shoulders cannot differentiate between a machine press and an SMP. They don't think to themselves "Hey, this guy has chosen to use the smith machine for presses theyfore I refuse to work as hard" - they just simply recruit the fibres that are needed to get the job done.

Have you ever done a standing miliatary press? You cannot seriously say there is an equal load on the shoulders whilst doing a SMP compared to sitting in a poofy machine pressing straight up from a seated position. You are using NO assistance muscles, the shoulders are just having to press up, instead of hold the bar steady and press up at the same time.

I could go on forever......

What's an
equal load on the shoulders?
Then you say:
You are using NO assistance muscles, the shoulders are just having to press up, instead of hold the bar steady and press up at the same time.
With your second remark, you've shifted the argument into a different territory. So which is it now; the load on the shoulders or the involvement of stabilisers/assistance muscles? I can go on but I'm satisfied that you've actually answered your own question with the last part of your remark here:
the shoulders are just having to press up
So there, the shoulders did do something; they (the shoulders alone) pressed the weight up without the assistance muscles. I'm not saying which exercise is better or more effective here; just simply answering your put down remark:
sitting in a poofy machine pressing...

Fadi.

I think control, is the only drawback using machines, and the lack of stabilisation required for the exercises. I find when using machines no matter how unco, or even if you are pushing or pulling in the right direction, the nature of the beast will guide you though the proper range of motion.

So yes they target the desired muscles goup, but they teach you body very little in the way of control.

Machines are useful when you first start out, or as a last / finishing exersice when you are shagged, and want to reduce the risk of injury whilst still performing a range of motion.

They are also good for isolation exercises, if thats what you want to do.

Any proggressive resistance will increase mass which makes strength gain possible.
But at the end of the day a poor tradesman will always blame his tools.

You've summed up my first reply perfectly with your above observation Silverback. Thanks mate.

Fadi.

You and I know Fadi, that anyone can biuld a better looking stronger physique with just a bar and plates, dipping bar and chin-up bar.

Although - having my time over I would have done more work with dumb-bells.

Machines are great when you can't do deadlifts or squats, I mean its better than nothing.