• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
it's things like this that drive me crazy
What d'ya all think of this smith machine

default.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNWMhrXnlT0&feature=related

Last edited:
To the mod squad,
I would the word smithmachine be stricken from this forum and be treated as an offensive word.

I don't see an issue squatting less than bodyweigth on the toilet machine.
Squatting anything heavier is most dangerous as in the bar has only one path to travel and you are under it-it can fold you in half like a piece of paper.

Has anyone here squated big weights on the smith machine, provided you get yourself in the right position it is safe. For ultimate quad development i use the smith and i use more weight than a normal squat. No one here talks about the hack squat machine. Try doing free weighted hacks with a barbell behind your hams, you would opt for the machine over that one.
AZZA

My gym doesn't have a squat rack so I use this smith machine for my squats, my pb is 3x8 reps on 150kg, apart from my stabiliser muscles getting a touch lazy, with the correct foot placement I consider it quite effective at building up the legs.

Machines in gym whats good whats bad?
Any machine that locks you /your joints under load (make that heavy load) ought to have a warning sign on it, such as the smith machine for example. There I'd have a warning sign that says something to the effect of: "Do no overload on squats lest you risk a lower back/knee injury." Some may disagree and simply ban the whole machine for the sake of safety and duty of care for the client.

TBH I have never experienced any issues in or from the smith machine, incline in it gives me a crazy pec pump.

I find many machines a welcome option for many muscles.

favorites probably life fitness machine rows and lat pulldowns when I a too tired or lazy to do chins, pullups or bar rows.