• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

muscle and broken bones / dissociations

Some might not be inteested in isolating certain muscles, but as one ages and as one becomes more injury prone due to soft tissue damage and years of playing sport a well designed machine is key to continued training to maintain muscle strength which maintains flexibility.

if i had more than 15 posts i would be able to post up that no excuses nike commercial :)

Nautilus machines are hands down the best machines ever made, designed by Arthur Jones.

Hammer Strength was done by his son.

I used Hammer Strength in 1990 in the States.

It was okay, some were better than others, but Nautilus was much better in my opinion.

I watched Mike Mentzer use the Nautilus curl machine in Golds Gym Venice, and at that precise moment I realised the mistake people make/made is that they use the same ideas from free weight training...ie a barbell and apply it to the machine.

The reason Nautilus ultimately failed was that they were used incorrectly. The cam design was perfect, sepecially the pullover machine which is still unequalled for hitting a mucle equally over a full range of motion.

As far as sports and real life go, nothing, but nothing compares with the humble barbell. Never will.

But if your goal is to isolate a muscle and train it with equal resistance over the longest possible range of motion, for whatever reason, a BB is a poor choice.

Bands and chains can help dramaticly here, but the Nautilus machine, and to a lesser extent the Hammer Strength equipment are superior for this.

As a side note, in the early 80's there was a Nautilus Gym in Frankston. A close friend trained there from his first ever gym session. He had made nice gains in his muscle size. He asked to train with a group of us at the old Tarzan & Janes.

He nearly fell off the bench press, couldnt squat, basicly had to start again. He had zero real world strength, yet looked pretty good. He never actually got anywhere near any of us in regards to strength, even though he stuck with free weights once he saw how weak he really was.

Would I use machines at PTC?

If I could get my hands on the Nautilus pullover and Bicep curl machines, absolutely, but nothing else really interests me. His crunch machine maybe, I love that thing lol

Another interesting point, Arthur Jones was asked why he never made a calf machine. He said you couldnt design anything more effective than single leg calf raises off a block holding a DB.

Think about that next time your doing fancy **** for calves.

Arthur Jones was also a genius.

PTC, the gym I am a member has all Nautilus weight and cardio machines and a Hammer Strength Power Rack.

I have seen the Nautilus curl machine in there but have never used it.

The original ones were 20000000000000% better than the later ones.

Nautilus went belly up, Arthur Jones is dead, Nautiles by name only sadly.

I used the newer ones a couple of years ago. I could actually hear Aurthur Jones rolling over in his grave.

Nautilus machines are hands down the best machines ever made, designed by Arthur Jones.

Hammer Strength was done by his son.

I used Hammer Strength in 1990 in the States.

It was okay, some were better than others, but Nautilus was much better in my opinion.

I watched Mike Mentzer use the Nautilus curl machine in Golds Gym Venice, and at that precise moment I realised the mistake people make/made is that they use the same ideas from free weight training...ie a barbell and apply it to the machine.

The reason Nautilus ultimately failed was that they were used incorrectly. The cam design was perfect, sepecially the pullover machine which is still unequalled for hitting a mucle equally over a full range of motion.

As far as sports and real life go, nothing, but nothing compares with the humble barbell. Never will.

But if your goal is to isolate a muscle and train it with equal resistance over the longest possible range of motion, for whatever reason, a BB is a poor choice.

Bands and chains can help dramaticly here, but the Nautilus machine, and to a lesser extent the Hammer Strength equipment are superior for this.

As a side note, in the early 80's there was a Nautilus Gym in Frankston. A close friend trained there from his first ever gym session. He had made nice gains in his muscle size. He asked to train with a group of us at the old Tarzan & Janes.

He nearly fell off the bench press, couldnt squat, basicly had to start again. He had zero real world strength, yet looked pretty good. He never actually got anywhere near any of us in regards to strength, even though he stuck with free weights once he saw how weak he really was.

Would I use machines at PTC?

If I could get my hands on the Nautilus pullover and Bicep curl machines, absolutely, but nothing else really interests me. His crunch machine maybe, I love that thing lol

Another interesting point, Arthur Jones was asked why he never made a calf machine. He said you couldnt design anything more effective than single leg calf raises off a block holding a DB.

Think about that next time your doing fancy **** for calves.

Arthur Jones was also a genius.

so we've established that machines may be beneficial for bodybuilders and people who make excuses :p but the question was about strength for breaking in horses and you dont get much more "real life" than that...

Droo, send me your email address please

i cant access PMs because i have less than 10 posts. ironically this is my tenth post and when i hit submit this post will become redundant, but only because ive posted it. even more so because i already emailed you my address. :p

Arthur Jones changed the way people exercise.
What he wrote in the 70's alot is still most relevent.
He invented nautilus machines and later Medx but he always stated nothing beats a barbell.
Anyone interested in the physical culture should read his bulletins.

Two other books: muscle, smoke and mirrors and John mc callums KTP

The original ones were 20000000000000% better than the later ones.

Nautilus went belly up, Arthur Jones is dead, Nautiles by name only sadly.

I used the newer ones a couple of years ago. I could actually hear Aurthur Jones rolling over in his grave.

These must be the newer ones then.

Jones became fed up with the industry, sold Nautilus and ventured into rehab and testing strength using computer technology in Medx equipment, lost interest in the end and died a lonely man.
His medx epuipment was state of the art and the only tool to this day that is able to test/measure strength.