• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Commuting

Me too. Something like a Honda CT110 Postie bike would be cheap to run.

a couple of years ago i was looking at getting a scooter ran off a chainsaw motor until victoria changed the laws , so then i was going to get a postie bike as they were dirt cheap to buy and run , fast forward to the present and postie bike cost a fortune even for a broken down one you are still up for a fortune

a couple of years ago i was looking at getting a scooter ran off a chainsaw motor until victoria changed the laws , so then i was going to get a postie bike as they were dirt cheap to buy and run , fast forward to the present and postie bike cost a fortune even for a broken down one you are still up for a fortune

If you ever want someone to test ride an R1 or equivalent for you, give me a call - I'd be happy to help. :)

Did a test run today, Clayton to Fed Square mostly along Gardiner Creek Trail, some 23km in all supposedly.

Left home at 0910, arrived at Fed Sq 1040, so 1hr30'. However, I stopped many times to check directions, a few times to adjust my bike - you can fiddle as much as you like when you put on new tyres, but really you just have to ride and see - and got two phone calls, too. So I think I could probably do it in 1hr15' without busting my arse.

A few lycra-clad greybeards passed me. Those guys are the Volvo drivers of the cycling world - going too fast for safety in case of pedestrians or obstacles, pretty oblivious of others, and with more money than sense.

Three times a guy would be dinging his bell and pass me, then 600 metres on he'd be struggling and I'd pass him in my stately way... I cycle the same as I used to march in the Army, slow but at a pace I could do for hours and hours.

Then it was another 10' across the city, and 5' to park my bike, go to the loo and change my shirt. In all, 1hr45'. I think I'll allow 2hr in all, means I'll be setting out from home at 0700 or so.

Doing that 4-8 times a week should help with the pre-wedding cut ;)

It was a bit hard to be sure with all my stops - and some of the route is designed for walkers, not cyclists, lots of sharp turns and little bridges over creeks - but I think it made a difference, yes. With the MTB tyres I just need to push harder, they have more bite into the road.

It was a bit hard to be sure with all my stops - and some of the route is designed for walkers, not cyclists, lots of sharp turns and little bridges over creeks - but I think it made a difference, yes. With the MTB tyres I just need to push harder, they have more bite into the road.

You get used to it all in no time at all and be drifting around those tight corners with style lol.
The tyres though I think may still be a little heavy but you'll never have punctures as long as you have the pressure up high enough.
The tyres I use on my 4X mtb are 26x2.1 and are 450g with light weight tubes.
What pressures do you run while on your trip as this can make a massive difference as well.
Here are some pressure I like to use
World Cup 4x style tracks I use about 30psi which feels like jelly.
Downhill on a hard tail I go for about 40 psi to stop flats but alot less grip.
BMX style tracks about 60 psi grip isnt an issue.
And road rides about 80psi to decrease rolling resistance and make an easier ride.

The tyres themselves recommend 40-65psi. I've no idea what the pressure was, the gauge on my pump was munted. I just pumped it up until it stopped being mad-squished when I sat on it ;)

The tyres themselves recommend 40-65psi. I've no idea what the pressure was, the gauge on my pump was munted. I just pumped it up until it stopped being mad-squished when I sat on it ;)

Yeah it can be a little hard to judge without a gauge if your not at one with your bike lol but you will be in time.
Try pumping them up a little harder if the terrain your riding isnt too hectic as you can save energy with rolling resistance, but obviously if the terrain is a but out there then more time and energy can be saved with the added grip but you'll have to judge that for yourself.

i was following a lycra clad expensive road bike rider the other day on the way home from work on my knobbly tyred giant mtb. he was riding the same pace as me on the flat and up hills but we got to the top of a hill and he stopped peddling and i kept peddling (in top gear) and he just rolled away from me... must get to the bike shop for a set of slicks...

i ride about 4kms to work most days, takes me 10-15 mins at a leisurely pace.

i was following a lycra clad expensive road bike rider the other day on the way home from work on my knobbly tyred giant mtb. he was riding the same pace as me on the flat and up hills but we got to the top of a hill and he stopped peddling and i kept peddling (in top gear) and he just rolled away from me... must get to the bike shop for a set of slicks...

i ride about 4kms to work most days, takes me 10-15 mins at a leisurely pace.

it's also the gear ratio and the bike geometry that helps alot and also the rider , when i was using slicks i found i was getting more puncture compared to that of knobbies , so switched back to knobbies for the extra protection , the time difference wasn't all that much maybe a minute or 2 but nothing to get too excited over