• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Buying Egg Whites in Melb.

k_21

Guys/gals,

Here's the dilemma I have been facing. Want to
buy egg whites. I have only been able to buy
them from Safeway. In a 1ltr Milk carton package.

The problem is that:

1. it's frozen (no issue right? leave it in the fridge
for a day or two and can use it) yup done that.
2. The label on it states 'do not re-freeze' after
thawing or something. Also saying to use it within
5 or 7 days of opening!??. :confused:

How much of egg whites do they think a man can
consume consecutively??

Comments on if you use this type of egg white product
and where else I might buy them in smaller quantities.

Thanks
Devante.

As many as you want, 5-7 days should be plenty of time. Make a big omelet or something and they'll be gone in no time.

Those egg white cartons are designed not for lifters, but for desserts-making, meringues and things. That's why they're in largeish packs. I was never a pastry chef so it's been ages since I used them, but if I remember rightly, 1lt of egg whites is equivalent to the whites from 30 whole eggs.

So, consuming 1lt in 5-6 days is like having 5-6 egg whites a day. 200ml would have 22g protein, equivalent to a palm-sized serve of steak. That's not a huge amount for people lifting heavy and/or trying to bulk up.

Eat the whole eggs instead, much better for you. The vitamins and minerals are mostly in the yolk. The yolks have a fair bit of saturated fats, but if you are also eating nuts and fish, and doing regular exercise, the evidence seems to be that this will overall do you good; if you just have the saturated fat and no nuts and fish and no exercise, it will overall do you harm.

In my neighbourhood, I can get 30x 55g regular eggs (about 7g protein), or 20x 65g free range eggs (about 8g protein), each tray for $6.

I saw egg whites at woolworths the other day im in South Australia but Woolworths carries mostly the same stuff so you may luck out if you give them a go where ever you are.

Forget what I just said i thought you were looking for them.

Last edited:
I'd leave the egg whites as described above for people who have most use for them; people like Kyle (chefs).

Please show me the article that influenced you to favour egg whites over egg yokes or just simple whole fresh eggs? I'm sincerely interested as to where this information is coming from k_21. Thank you Sir.

Fadi.

I'd leave the egg whites as described above for people who have most use for them; people like Kyle (chefs).

Please show me the article that influenced you to favour egg whites over egg yokes or just simple whole fresh eggs? I'm sincerely interested as to where this information is coming from k_21. Thank you Sir.

Fadi.

Fadi,

I have been following "Body for Life". I read it 12
months back and tried the programe with good
results.

I am back on it now since joining AusBB a few
months back. Little bit of size on the upper body.

The gut is still there though <--that's the one I want
GONE :D

Thanks
Devante.

Fadi,

I have been following "Body for Life". I read it 12
months back and tried the programe with good
results.

I am back on it now since joining AusBB a few
months back. Little bit of size on the upper body.

The gut is still there though <--that's the one I want
GONE :D

Thanks
Devante.

OK Devante, I went and checked this body for life way of eating. If it's working for you, then great. I would never recommend anything remotely close. But that's me and as you know, I'm a fan of fat. No wait a second; I'm a fan of balance.

Devante, I really do not wish to persuade you one way or the other. But I will say something and I do hope that you ponder over it a bit. Think back a bit; did you gain that "gut" because you were having too much fat, protein, or carbs? I bet the answer is no. The reason for the excess fat you've accumulated was simply due to an excess of calories all around matched by low to none existent physical activity. So if that's the case, then why deprive yourself of one macro and make it a scapegoat for your low activity and excess all around calories?

I'm not here to tell you what is best since you have found what is working for you. I'll just say, take extra care of your immune system, because sooner or later, it's going to let you down due to the low fat "body for life" diet plan.

All the best and I'll leave it here.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Mr. Fadi,

Thanks for that great reply. I am NOT a
nutrition expert. Far from it. I keep hearing
that egg whites have better protien content!

However, from this thread it's evident that it
doesn't seem to be the case.

I just want to loose my gut and wear size 32
pants comfortably:eek:.

A six pac along the way would be awesome
to look in the mirror.

Thanks
Devante.
P.S. Some days the more I read the more confused
I get:confused:

Devante, to lose your gut means losing bodyfat. To do that, you simply need to consume less calories than you expend.

That gut (and the rest of your body's fat) is like your car's fuel tank - but like a big balloon tank that can expand. If you drive your car around lots and lots revving the engine, you burn up that fuel. You have to put fuel back into the tank or the car will stop, but if you want the tank to shrink, just put in a little bit less fuel in than you're burning.

Whether that fuel is egg whites or egg yolks or dripping sandwiches or carrots doesn't matter to the basic inequation,

if energy in < energy out, something else must be burned

The "something else" will be mostly fat. However, some will be muscle. To minimise how much muscle gets burned for energy, you need sound nutrition - lots of fresh fruit and vegies, nuts and beans, some meat, fish or dairy, a bit of starch (spuds, rice, bread, pasta) - and exercise.

If you eat less than you expend and sit on the couch, your body says, "well, he's not using his muscles, I may as well eat them up for energy, them and the fat, too."

If you eat less than you expend and lift weights, your body says, "hmmm, he seems to be using the muscles, I guess I better not eat them up, I'll eat mostly the fat instead."

I do not advise going for a sixpack, that is an unhealthily low level of bodyfat. Your body needs a certain amount of fat on it to keep it going - fat stores hormones, vitamins, and so on.

Those egg white cartons are designed not for lifters, but for desserts-making, meringues and things. That's why they're in largeish packs. I was never a pastry chef so it's been ages since I used them, but if I remember rightly, 1lt of egg whites is equivalent to the whites from 30 whole eggs.

So, consuming 1lt in 5-6 days is like having 5-6 egg whites a day. 200ml would have 22g protein, equivalent to a palm-sized serve of steak. That's not a huge amount for people lifting heavy and/or trying to bulk up.

Eat the whole eggs instead, much better for you. The vitamins and minerals are mostly in the yolk. The yolks have a fair bit of saturated fats, but if you are also eating nuts and fish, and doing regular exercise, the evidence seems to be that this will overall do you good; if you just have the saturated fat and no nuts and fish and no exercise, it will overall do you harm.

In my neighbourhood, I can get 30x 55g regular eggs (about 7g protein), or 20x 65g free range eggs (about 8g protein), each tray for $6.

where did you get those from? I use egg whites and whole egges together, but paying 5 bucks for the eggs whites suck and I like the flavour of whole eggs better.

They also dont stick to the pan like egg whites, bloody things make too much mess

I get the $6 for 30 regular eggs from a Sri Lankan grocery store near my home in Clayton. Next door is a Greek grocery store that sells the $6 for 20 freerange eggs.

Just go to your local "ethnic" grocery store, provided it has a few others nearby for competition. It should be run by an actual "ethnic" person, those run by Anglo yuppies are overpriced with low quality food.

I don't know where there are such places in Berwick, I'm sorry.