• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do deadlifts...

BoyFromAus

I was watching several videos on deadlifting with correct form so I beileve form is not my problem.. perhaps it's my breathing..

anyway, today, after I did my deadlifts I was light headed as hell and felt like throwing up several time. Then I sat down for about 8 mins and did nothing, just to come back to this world.

Is this normal with deadlifts or am I doing something wrong... my squat was fine, but the deadlift hammered me and I was shaking after...

Sounds like you were pushing yourself. I sometimes get that, shaky, blurred vision or vision partially going dark. As long as you are breathing on each rep it should be fine.

I was watching several videos on deadlifting with correct form so I beileve form is not my problem.. perhaps it's my breathing..

anyway, today, after I did my deadlifts I was light headed as hell and felt like throwing up several time. Then I sat down for about 8 mins and did nothing, just to come back to this world.

Is this normal with deadlifts or am I doing something wrong... my squat was fine, but the deadlift hammered me and I was shaking after...

I have been having the same problem with squats.Going by what I know this is probably due to lactic acid buildup.The big compounds,that is squats and deads incorporate the big guns and many other small ones as well creating a big and sudden lactic acid build up.Yesterday I tried not eating for about 2 hours before my workout but it seemed to be worse.I`m guessing that a bit of food in the stomach will keep the acid levels down a bit.
Also,I was a bit light headed at the end of the sets and when I was talking to a mate afterwards he suggested I take my blood pressure before and after squatting.He was thinking,only theorizing keep in mind,that a sudden dilation of the blood vessels caused a drop in blood pressure leading to light headedness.
One gym I use has one of those machines to measure blood pressure that spits out a reading.I`ll try it next time and go from there.

ahh i see. Thanks for clearing that up guys. Yea, I was breathing properly... I was exhaling on my way up and inhaling on my way down. and yea, I was pushing myself...

I have been having the same problem with squats.Going by what I know this is probably due to lactic acid buildup.The big compounds,that is squats and deads incorporate the big guns and many other small ones as well creating a big and sudden lactic acid build up.Yesterday I tried not eating for about 2 hours before my workout but it seemed to be worse.I`m guessing that a bit of food in the stomach will keep the acid levels down a bit.
Also,I was a bit light headed at the end of the sets and when I was talking to a mate afterwards he suggested I take my blood pressure before and after squatting.He was thinking,only theorizing keep in mind,that a sudden dilation of the blood vessels caused a drop in blood pressure leading to light headedness.
One gym I use has one of those machines to measure blood pressure that spits out a reading.I`ll try it next time and go from there.

good info there Zarkov.. speaking of lactic acid, i'm not sure if it could cause stomach churning... my stomach was churning after it as well. I'd like to get blood pressure checked before and after.

It's just that you're pushing yourself hard. Improve your fitness, and leave two hours between a proper meal (shakes don't count) and your workout.

Zarkov is wrong about the lactic acid. The cause is simpler than that.

Your body has a certain amount of blood to keep everything going. When you're digesting food, your guts need more bloodflow*. When you're lifting or running, your muscles need more bloodflow.

You can do one or the other: digest or lift/run, but not both. So if you lift/run hard enough, your body says, "well, looks like he doesn't want to digest, better get rid of the food, then" - and you feel nauseous and eventually vomit. If you don't have anything to digest because it's a couple of hours after your meal, you won't feel as nauseous, but it may still happen.

The feeling faint and tunnel vision have the same cause. Your brain and eyes account for about 1/4 of all the bloodflow in your body, so if you draw a lot away slowly, as in digestion after an all-you-can-eat dinner, you feel sleepy; if you draw a lot away quickly, as in lifting/running, you feel faint and get tunnel vision.

You can improve bloodflow by general fitness and conditioning. Someone who can run 5km without stopping or who regularly does Tabata thrusters will simply take longer to feel sick doing squats or deadlifts or a run than someone who cannot or does not do those fitness things. But it'll happen to everyone eventually if they push themselves hard enough under the iron.

Thus, any time you do an exercise which uses a lot of muscles, there's a chance you'll feel nauseous, faint and/or get tunnel vision. So no-one is going to throw up from biceps curls, but many people have thrown up from deadlifts or squats.

On the one hand, as Arnie said, "so what if I throw up? I won't die." On the other hand, it's not pleasant or necessary to training, will probably make you unwelcome in the gym, and is a waste of all that good food you ate. And fainting with a big weight on your back is dangerous. So if you feel faint or nauseous, I would advise stopping, resting, then trying again later.

Lactic acid is something different, and it's an issue during endurance training, not strength training.

* If you want to be technical, it's not "bloodflow" but "blood pressure", combined with oxygen, glycogen and nutrients. But technical is boring.

Last edited:
ahh i see. Thanks for clearing that up guys. Yea, I was breathing properly... I was exhaling on my way up and inhaling on my way down. and yea, I was pushing myself...

well thats all f u c k e d up and not the correct way to breathe at all.

The effects your feeling have a name....its called training, very common in gyms.

Its good that you can now see why we rave about pulls, squats and presses against that fairy **** most do in spas.

Nice work, keep it up

Zarkov is wrong about the lactic acid. The cause is simpler than that.
Feel free to disagree Kyle but no,I am not wrong.

Are you referring to it making you sick or lactic acid buildup from working out?
If the former I refer to this,
www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/lactic-acid.html
The pain that accompanies lactic acid is thought to result from the irritant effect of acidic muscles on nerve endings. Lactic acid is also believed to ' irritate' the central nervous system, leading to feelings of nausea and ...
Lactic acid is something different, and it's an issue during endurance training, not strength training.

This I disagree with Kyle.
From Scientific American,

Why does lactic acid build up in muscles? And why does it cause soreness?: Scientific American
As our bodies perform strenuous exercise, we begin to breathe faster as we attempt to shuttle more oxygen to our working muscles. The body prefers to generate most of its energy using aerobic methods, meaning with oxygen. Some circumstances, however, --such as evading the historical saber tooth tiger or lifting heavy weights--require energy production faster than our bodies can adequately deliver oxygen. In those cases, the working muscles generate energy anaerobically. This energy comes from glucose through a process called glycolysis, in which glucose is broken down or metabolized into a substance called pyruvate through a series of steps. When the body has plenty of oxygen, pyruvate is shuttled to an aerobic pathway to be further broken down for more energy. But when oxygen is limited, the body temporarily converts pyruvate into a substance called lactate, which allows glucose breakdown--and thus energy production--to continue. The working muscle cells can continue this type of anaerobic energy production at high rates for one to three minutes, during which time lactate can accumulate to high levels.

Also ,on another forum a guy said that eating carbs before his workout made a difference.
http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=183717

Last edited:
well thats all f u c k e d up and not the correct way to breathe at all.

The effects your feeling have a name....its called training, very common in gyms.

Its good that you can now see why we rave about pulls, squats and presses against that fairy **** most do in spas.

Nice work, keep it up

Poor Zubi.

I used to feel faint and dizzy after squatting to the point of almost blacking out.

Doesn't happen anymore as I got fitter and spent more time under the bar

i feel symptoms like that when i haven't eaten right pre training (ie low to no carbs) &/or i don't breath right when doing the lift or my technque down right sucks

I feel like falling over after a 20 rep squat effort. Have to sit down for 5 mins at least. Tunnel vision doesnt worry me so much, 'im in the zone' lol.