• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Your thoughts on a 24/7 gym and security

M

MADDYSMUM

Hi
There is a new gym opened up in my area which I am thinking of joining. It has all the machines I require. After 6.30pm it is unmanned and no staff.
I do my workout about 8.30 or 9.30pm due to work committments and family, and I have been doing them at home up until now. But I want a change.

Now I had a look inside and spoke to one of the staff, and there is a telephone in there for security so if something happens, security come with a push of a button.
I am a little concerned though. The doors are locked after 6.30 and only members with a security key can come in and thats ok, but what happens if a member turns psycho or rough and starts to harass?
By the time you reach for security, you could be dead..I wanted to know what your thoughts would be on it.
I know I might be thinking the worst, but being female, who the hell knows.

There's one of these gyms near where I work (Anytime Fitness) and I wouldn't join it due to security reasons either. But that's speaking as a young woman. If I was a beefcake I'd have no hesitation about joining!

Katie..thats the gym I am talking about. Anytime Fitness in Bayswater melbourne.

LOL..Brendon. I thought about doing that...OR a can of hairspray in my gym bag to spray in their eyes. I might try my tae-bo moves on them!

I have a 7 day free pass and I thought I might try it out to see what its like.

Just hoping I don't die during a workout....haha

I can not understand how these gym's are allowed to operate with no staff in attendance, it's not exactly a coin-op laundrymat !!!

I'd like to know who the insurance company is and the premiums.

One angry member could let in a group of roid raging mates at 3am to destroy the place. Sure there would be security cameras, but they could be accounted for.

What about serious injury where the person is unable to move to reach the panic button?

The same could happen pretty much anywhere you are and I think a gym would be one of the better places to be.I`ve seen a few tools in gyms in my time but never a psycho.
I had a look at one of these set ups near my sister`s place in Melb. and there was a ladies only room set up and one of the staff was there at all times.Not actually on the gym floor but snoozing in the rest room.

One angry member could let in a group of roid raging mates at 3am to destroy the place. Sure there would be security cameras, but they could be accounted for.

What about serious injury where the person is unable to move to reach the panic button?

exactly what I am worried about. I can look after myself pretty well, but when it comes to weapons and stuff its another matter. :eek:

Gals / Guys,

I say follow your instincts here. I also worry there are no staff! Especially if there is a medical emergency???!!!

What da??? Apart from the safety of the females, gym staff are meant to be qualified so that if anyone has a heart-attach, stroke etc there will be someone to at least call an ambulance.

I speak with experience as it turned out to be that way for one of my friends! If there were no staff he'd be 'speaking with god right now'...

Is that even legal??

I used to be a member of a 24/7 gym for a couple months as it was the only one nearby and temporary. In terms of security it was very similar - security cards, phones, plus they had security cameras inside and out. I was never really worried about security but I've never seen any psycho's in the gym either, most people are there for the same reason as you. The gym's are still staffed during normal busines hours too.

As for insurance, they walk every person through each machine and show them how to use it and the safety's etc. Then they make you sign a form to say they've done this so if there's any acccidents due to your stupidity or incorrect use of equipment it's on you. Apart from that they have normal insurance like any other gym.

All in all it was ok for a temp, except mine was brand new so didn't have any barbells when first opened and was especially useful on the times where I was busy and couldn't make normal gym times but didn't want to miss a workout.

PS. There's no such thing as roid rage.

Some of the 24hrs gyms have the following..

Motion sensors that can pick up if a member hasnt moved for a certain amount of time.. this will notify security who can then view that location and send any help ( ambos's etc), they can also communicate with the member in the gym..

Some also offer a panic button that can be worn around your neck whilst training.. though i know this would be uncomfortable.. it does cater for those that have concerns...

Most also dont have barbells etc

Seems they have made a good attempt to cover all bases...

I think it caters for alot of different people... may not be everyones cup of tea... but a great cheaper solution to some of the larger chains.

Some of the 24hrs gyms have the following..

Motion sensors that can pick up if a member hasnt moved for a certain amount of time.. this will notify security who can then view that location and send any help ( ambos's etc), they can also communicate with the member in the gym..

I can imagine some pranksters playing dead, just for fun...
Although, they would probably be banned for crying wolf if they do it too many times.

I can imagine some pranksters playing dead, just for fun...
Although, they would probably be banned for crying wolf if they do it too many times.

Well yep.. there are a few Di#ks out there...

What ive been told is.. they use and have facial recognition software so they pretty much know who is in the gym at any time..

Even to the point where if you sneak in a non member... it can pick that a non member has entered and the member that assisted will be fined $100.00.. ( this is in the member contract).

Alot of these gyms also have no contract periods, so you can sign up and quit at any stage...

This gym def has barbells.
Some also offer a panic button that can be worn around your neck whilst training.. though i know this would be uncomfortable.. it does cater for those that have concerns...
they have this too.

I wouldn't want anything to happen to you Angie. Either train at home or find yourself a safer place. Even a man has to be careful when by himself at night.

Alternatively: Get a black belt in Krav Maga then I'll give you my blessings... reservedly:)!

Fadi.

lol Fadi you crack me up. I will be ok I think. I will try it for a few days and see. I might ring around and ask if anyone want to come with me. But not many of my friends are into fitness :( so it might be a challenge

Just dont make it a habbit to attend on the same days at the same after hours times, some people notice this and can predict your actions...In the gym you should be fine its getting to, and from the front door that presents an oppertunity for some one to go shopping for buff babes...