• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Your thoughts on a 24/7 gym and security

Stupid people like that is what I am worried about, especially when it involves children and their safety. I wont be going back there anymore.

I fully comprehend what you're saying Angie. You can never be too careful when it comes to defenseless children.

Fadi

umm yeah I live in the south east. I did witness the man going into the play area at the hotel, and he looked a bit weird. Afterwards I heard that he tried to rob the place. I know there are nut cases everywhere, but in this day and age, you have to think negatively. Our business was robbed at the start of the year, and my husband was assulted with a crow bar over the head and was hospitalized for 1 week with titanium plates inserted into his eye socket and forehead. I am a little weary of people around me now. So this is the reason why I am a bit funny about it. But the gym is well secured with security cameras and stuff so it made me feel much better.

I can not understand how these gym's are allowed to operate with no staff in attendance, it's not exactly a coin-op laundrymat !!!

I'd like to know who the insurance company is and the premiums.

One angry member could let in a group of roid raging mates at 3am to destroy the place. Sure there would be security cameras, but they could be accounted for.

What about serious injury where the person is unable to move to reach the panic button?

I hear these gyms will be on the increase in the near future.

MD

Hi MD,

I actually spoke to a guy in person yesterday, who is co-running the only 2 of these Jett's gyms in Sydney, Alexandria and Miranda (opening Dec 5th, next month).

I duscussed all these issues with him and it was basically as is described in this thread.
So far, no issues with the existing gyms and nothing stolen.
There are heaps of these gyms in Brisbane and Queensland, some in Melbourne and other areas around the country, but Sydney only has 2.
He said they plan to open another 40-50 outlets in Sydney over time.

So if any problems were to happen, they would have likely happened by now and systems put in place to preven them happening in future.

The way they are growing, they seem likely to suceed.

And, they will have dumbbells (up to 40kg), not just machines.

Last edited:
Effective training by a client requires an effective instructor.

Fitness First tries to remove the client, these gyms remove the instructor.

And thus, everyone gets to fail.

I can fail at home for free :)

if its any concellation i train at jetts alexandria. the owners names are michael ford and jo buchanan, they are very welcoming friendly people which i have had many good conversations with. The manager or the gym is Stephen. Michael and Jo are opening a new one in miranda as stated in about a months time. i have been there since the place opened and no real major incidents to date, there was 1 incedend where a guy mooned someone on a tread mill but the persons face was eventually caught on the camera system which michael then relayed to the local police station and the guy was charged a couple of weeks later with indecent exposure.... the system in action is very high tech and i class as very safe. it even detects if more than one person tries to sneak into the gym with only 1 swipe of the card and they will get a phone call the next day to discuss the situation. things are very well handled :) probably best thing of all, membership is CHEAP! half the price of most gyms around the area.... and it gives you flexible training hours too which all others cant...

with unmanned services like 24-7 gyms w/o staff, what exactly is the Damage Control Protocol or emergency management protocol?

Suppose some smartass teen was trying to bench press 400kg and dropped the weight on himself, what next?...

He dies.

Which may not seem like much a loss to the gene pool, but stupid teens do grow up, so...

On the other hand, teenagers tend to be less stupid on their own, it's only in pairs and packs that they go truly mental.

But people of other ages can always have a dumb day, or a weak day, or heart failure or whatever.

Sufficient equipment to work out with costs about a year's membership of a gym. I'm paying for qualified supervision, thanks very much.

with unmanned services like 24-7 gyms w/o staff, what exactly is the Damage Control Protocol or emergency management protocol?

Suppose some smartass teen was trying to bench press 400kg and dropped the weight on himself, what next?...

I'd think most 24/7 gyms don't even have barbells to begin with, so he would just drop his 200kg dumbells safely to the side.
I also doubt they have dumbells above 35kg...so he would need 6 of them per side, further deterring him from being stupid lol :p

Jokes aside, I agree with what you and kyle are saying. It doesn't have to be a smartass kid, could be some nice old man who just happens to trip on something and hits his head.

I think Maddysmum mentioned they have the cameras hooked up to the security guys monitoring room so they can see if anyones hurt but how long will that taken them to notice...and then how much longer for them to get to the gym?
Do security guards even need to know first aid?

Also when I was a member of Jetts last year they have these special alarm wristbands you can wear as you workout. They have a button on them so if you injure yourself and can't move you can press the button and emergency help is sent.

They also tested how long it takes for the security and ambulance to arrive and it was around 3/4 minutes which is pretty quick.

...there was 1 incedend where a guy mooned someone on a tread mill but the persons face was eventually caught on the camera system which michael then relayed to the local police station and the guy was charged a couple of weeks later with indecent exposure....

Laugh out loud!

Effective training by a client requires an effective instructor.

Fitness First tries to remove the client, these gyms remove the instructor.

And thus, everyone gets to fail.

I can fail at home for free :)

kyle, mate...thats just part of the fitness industry these days.. how many so called personal trainers actually pursue fitness/PT course becoz they really do enjoy it? rather little i would say.. in fact many PT these days includ. couple of ma mates did so called intensive 12weeks PT course cert 3/4 purely becoz its not a 9-5 corporate thingy and u get to mingle ard..not to mention YOU ARE A PERSONAL TRAINER!
oh well get real.

Thinking logically and not being sucked in by mass media hysteria - the way I see it, there is no money on premises to steal, the only reason for criminal activity to occur would be vandalism or to cause personal harm. Both of these can be performed by someone that way inclined a lot easier and with more success on the street or any other less secure venue than inside a secure monitored center with constant video surveillance. I'd be more worried about walking in the street outside of the gym!

by the way guys ive had a good chat with the owner of the gym franchise and according to the agreements they are not allowed all the equipment most gyms would have. i quizzed him today because i really wish they had a rack and free weights + a good bar so i can do dead lifts and rack pulls etc... EVEN SOME BENCH PRESS! i dont mind using dumbells tho :p but its all due to their safety agreements... on a rack you can stack on anything upwards of 80kilos... where as the dumbells stop at 40kg each so its a little more used friendly should someone need assistance... but since its not constantly under supervision they cant have a rack........ oh well...... ive tried SLDL with dumbells but its just not the same.... technique is a bit shakey and as stated... only goes to 40kg a side so for later in my training it will be rendered useless.... other than that its great for just keeping in shape and doing most weights exercises... just sadly cant do weight lifting training there... so when i get to that stage i will have to progress somewhere else where i can :)

I've been using a Jetts 24/7 for about a year now, and consider my training I've found it amazing. I can work out whenever I get the chance and the weights are generally perfect for what I need. I'm not up to 40kg Dumbell Presses yet, and I use the smith machine for presses and squats etc. Security wise I've never had any problems either. It may be the neighbourhood that I live in, but everyone that goes there are all there to train. No ones there to cause mischief.

my current gym i train at now is anytime fitness 24/7 gym at wynard sydney city. Ive trained at 11pm sometimes and love it!! havent really thought about security but only members can really get in and they have cameras anywhere.

They give u a button which u can hold onto while training and can hit to call for security if need be.

There isnt much in terms of aerobic classes as its all about the weights here but the dumbells go to 50kgs (compared to FAIL first gym for example which only goes to 35kg) and they have 2 squat racks.

Price is a bit high 900 a year but for the convenience its awesome expecially on weekends if ive been busy and cant get to a gym before closing time.

Last edited:
How do you know that Finance First goes up to 50kg Morgan, you haven't been there have you???