• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Building the ultimate muscle machine: move your body through space. Program #1.

I usually add 5-10kg but do lower rep ranges. I can do 12-15 with bw but liken it to doing heavier sets with other compounds. I don't bench or dead lift for sets higher than 8-10, so assume the same with pullups/chins.
Great, thank you for that reply appreciate it. How about momentum,..do you perform your 12-15 with bit of a body jerk up or are you able to complete such a rep number in a smooth and continuous motion?

Also, do you do chin-ups (palms facing you) where the biceps get one hell of a workout, or do you do pull ups,..palms facing away from you, or do you alternate?

Fadi.

No momentum, occasionally I like to stop top and bottom but they're usually just done fluidly.

I prefer pull ups but alternate. Probably do wider than shoulder width, palms away more than anything. Shoulder width with neutral palms occasionally and chins the least. I could do sets of 20+ chins, I don't find they hit the back as effectively but pump up the biceps like you say

I find the best time to do pull ups (palms facing away) is straight after deadlifts. Your body weight will feel very light compared to what you just lifted. And your upper back muscles won't be that tired. I will do sets of 8 where I pause at the bottom of every rep and reset. It really burns the lats.

To work the other way (chin up, palms facing in), I'll use an underhand close grip on the lat pull down machine.

Chalk and cheese comparing a deadlift to a chinup. I see your logic though.

The prime mover in the deadlift is the quads (initially). Strapping 20kg to yourself and doing 4 chins is pointless IMO. When you get to the 3rd or 4th rep (maxing out) how much of your lats are you engaging as opposed to your biceps, shoulders and god knows what else??

Wrong?

Was that a reference to my post? I wasn't comparing the 2. I was just saying they feel good straight after deadlifts. Also using the palms facing away grip so you don't use your biceps.

Not sure.... Who is saying to do sets of 4 chins? I don't see the point in that either

Obviously a lot easier for lighter guys like myself to do multiple sets of pullups/chins though. I'm only pulling around 80ish kg with the weight added, where the heavier guys are looking at 100+kg with just their bw. That said, I believe [MENTION=11621]taurus[/MENTION] ; does sets of them with a 20kg vest quite regularly.... But he's a beast!