• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Building the ultimate muscle machine: move your body through space. Program #1.

Fadi

Beginners, intermediates, and advance bodybuilders would do themselves a great service if they start analising the exercises they are utilising to get the body they desire. Yes, here on this forum we are always directing the new trainees towards the basics, the compounds, the meat and potatoes of all exercises. We do it because we know what effect this hardcore exercises can have on the body as a whole and not just on one of its parts.

Now I’d like to raise this level of smart training even further if you don’t mind. Yes we have our machines; and yes we have our free weights, and our isolation exercises and our compound exercises, but to take this to the next level, just employing a compound exercise is not enough here.

Let us take the lat pulldown as an example of a compound exercise. Does the lat pulldown have your body moving through space whilst performing it? The answer is simply no. I do not want to stay still whilst the weight moves; I want to move with it through space. To do that, the mighty wide grip chin up can not be beaten here. You’re not only working your latissimus dorsi, rhomboid major and minor, teres major, brachioradialis, brachialis, biceps brachii, and brachioradialis; but your core muscles are also working over time amongst other stabiliser muscles. Also, training in this fashion where your body is moving through space, helps you build functional muscles and strength; that means your daily task of lifting/moving a fridge, a couch, or even lifting your spouse will be very easy and possible. Unlike the bodybuilder who solely relies on moving the weights whilst his body remains still, the strength gained from such lifting is not only not functional, but it’s not transferable to real world strength moves. Take a look at the bodybuilder pulling down 400lbs in the lat pulldown machine for 15 reps or so, only to fail miserably when asked to pull himself up for the same amount of reps (even when he only weighs 200lbs)! It makes you wonder how quickly his “strength” has deserted him, doesn’t it?

Please do not misunderstand me here and think that I’m rubbishing any exercise that doesn’t have your body moving through space, like the bench press say. Not at all. What I’m saying here and what I’m asking you to do is to incorporate some of these higher level/functional level exercises which will go a very long way to making you a much better bodybuilder than you could ever dreamed of being.

Muscles do not move until commanded to move by your nervous system. The more muscles the exercise activates; the more neuromuscular stimulation will be involved. The more NMS potential the exercise has; the more muscles you’ll get for your time and effort in the gym. Squats anyone!?

So what are some of these exercises that belong to that flying through space club?

• Squats
  • Chin ups
  • Reverse chin ups (close grip)
  • Push ups (weighted)
  • Romanian pulls
  • Dead lifts
  • Dips
  • Lunges/walking lunges
This is a 3 days per week program consisting of 6 exercises of 20 sets per workout with reps ranging from 4-7. Your task is to pick a weight that will allow you to complete 4 reps in good form. As the weeks progress, add repetitions until you can reach 7 reps. Once 7 reps have been reached, increase the weight by 2.5-5kg and progress overload as before. Your aim is to always add weight or increase reps week by week. Again, once 7 reps have been reached; decrease the reps back to 4 whilst simultaneously increasing the weight by 2.5 to 5kg. This program is for 12 weeks.

Use weights to increase the intensity. Had the male gymnasts added weights to their parallel, roman-rings, and floor exercises, you would have seen gymnasts who looked like bodybuilders. But they only use their own bodyweight and look absolutely phenomenal.

374.jpg
gymnastics2009a.jpg
1_640x466.jpg

This program will not only increase your strength and build functional muscles, but will insure that muscles built here are of the dense and permanent type. By that I’m talking about muscles getting built through the myofibrillar and not through the Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy pathway. Please check page #50 for more information if you wish.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=QWSn4iKgNo8C&dq=Kraemer,+William+J.%3B+Zatsiorsky,+Vladimir+M.+(2006).+Science+and+practice+of+strength+training+book&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=0N_VSr6GI86GkQXt0MmADg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Here’s a Romanian pull; some call it stiff legged deadlift.

[youtube]noA5iBH-WIw[/youtube]

1.Squats--------------------------------------------------------4 x4-7
2a.Chin ups to the front (wide grip)-----------------------------2x 4-7
2b.Chin ups (close grip palms facing you)-----------------------2x 4-7
3.Push ups/weighed--------------------------------------------3 x4-7
4.Romanian pulls-----------------------------------------------4 x4-7
5.Standing military press (exception to the rule)----------------3 x4-7
6.Dips (elbows close by side)------------------------------------2 x4-7

PS: everything I’ve mentioned above re building the ultimate muscle machine is also applicable to trimming down and toning up the ultimate shapely you! The determining factor that plays a huge role here is none other than your thoroughly thought through eating plan.

Here's a way to get strong in the pull ups:

Week #1-------------10 sets x1 rep Mon-Fri
Week #2-------------5 x2 Mon, Wed, Fri
Week #3-------------4 x3
Week #4-------------3 x4
Week #5-------------2 x5

Do not progress to the next week until each weeks' sets and reps have been succesfully completed.

Option #2

Week #1--------------10 sets x2 negative reps. Either stand on a chair or get a friend to help you up. Take 5 seconds to come back down all the way.

After doing one whole week of the above, you should be able to do the first week of 10 x1 by yourself. Give it a go and let me know how you go. You never know when you might need to jump and pull yourself over a barrier one day.

Alternative Exercises:

1.Squats--------------------------------------------------------4 x4-7
2.Wide grip front lat pulldowns----------------------------------3x4-7
3.Barbell bench press-------------------------------------------3 x4-7
4.Romanian pulls-----------------------------------------------3 x4-7
5.Standing military press---------------------------------------3 x4-7
6.Barbell curls--------------------------------------------------2 x4-7
7.French curls--------------------------------------------------2 x4-7

All power to you and thank you for reading.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Nice post Fadi. Pull Ups/Chin Ups are one of my favourites. I am always boggled by the people who can lift (or pull) more than their own bodyweight on the Lat Pull Down yet not do a Pull Up/Chin Up?

Wide Grip Pull Ups are great and torturous.

yer ive commented before about the way some ppl can bench and lat pull down heavy but cant do one pull up, its always got my goat how they can be so dumb and think that it doesnt matter. It makes me sad to see that they are short changing themselves all the while im getting stronger so i just smile politely and go about my business :)

yer ive commented before about the way some ppl can bench and lat pull down heavy but cant do one pull up, its always got my goat how they can be so dumb and think that it doesnt matter. It makes me sad to see that they are short changing themselves all the while im getting stronger so i just smile politely and go about my business :)

Some people can't because they are using more weight, I can do 75kg pull downs 4 to 6 reps but can't do 2 pull ups because I weigh 95kg.

You just have to work at the pull ups Lazy.

I weigh 76kg, so it is easier for me. Though I have strapped 30kg to myself and repped a few out with that. So the people using more weight is not really a good excuse. ;) They also have more muscle as well.

Errr, romanian dl's look just like normal dl's.

Lazy, stand up straight and then bend down from the hips first rather than your knees. Your legs are kept as straight as can be whilst at the same time unlocking your knees to prevent unnecessary stress (and injury).

Fadi.

Some people can't because they are using more weight, I can do 75kg pull downs 4 to 6 reps but can't do 2 pull ups because I weigh 95kg.

Lazy, here's a way to get strong in the pull ups:

Week #1-------------10 sets x1 rep Mon-Fri
Week #2-------------5 x2 Mon, Wed, Fri
Week #3-------------4 x3
Week #4-------------3 x4
Week #5-------------2 x5

Do not progress to the next week until each weeks' sets and reps have been succesfully completed.

Option #2

Week #1--------------10 sets x2 negative reps. Either stand on a chair or get a friend to help you up. Take 5 seconds to come back down all the way.

After doing one whole week of the above, you should be able to do the first week of 10 x1 by yourself. Give it a go and let me know how you go. You never know when you might need to jump and pull yourself over a barrier one day.

Fadi.

Hi Fadi, the program looks very good. I've not done a pull up since I left the army, my best was 11.:D

So that is whats next after the 6 weeks we are doing now. Do you still want us to do the 100 burpees on the off days?
Please say no, please say no, please say no... grrrrr you're going to say yes aren't you.:)

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Fadi, the program looks very good. I've not done a pull up since I left the army, my best was 11.:D

So that is whats next after the 6 weeks we are doing now. Do you still want us to do the 100 burpees on the off days?
Please say no, please say no, please say no... grrrrr you're going to say yes aren't you.:)

Cheers,
Mike

What was that you wanted Mike; 100 burpees again?!:D

No my friend, no more 100 burpess, just 50 twice a week. On Tuesday and Thursday. Wow Mike, that's like having a holiday. That's a drop of 67% from what you were doing. Play time!

Let's get strong and some dense muscles in the process whilst we're at it, what'd you say?

Fadi.

What was that you wanted Mike; 100 burpees again?!:D

No my friend, no more 100 burpess, just 50 twice a week. On Tuesday and Thursday. Wow Mike, that's like having a holiday. That's a drop of 67% from what you were doing. Play time!

Let's get strong and some dense muscles in the process whilst we're at it, what'd you say?

Fadi.

I say I'm in!

50 burpees twice a week, done.:D

Just finishing week 5 of the first program. 1 more week (then a week off?), then I'll eagerly jump into this program.:)

Just one question, why Romanian Pulls not normal Deads?

Make that 2 questions, about my diet, do you want me to stick to the 2200 cal plan?

I'll probably have more questions but, I'll finish the 6 week program first.

Thanks Fadi,

Mike.

Just one question, why Romanian Pulls not normal Deads?
Emphasising different muscles. I want to put more emphasis on the hamstring and I can't think of anything better at the moment that will balance the quads through squats than hamststrings through Romanian pulls.

do you want me to stick to the 2200 cal plan?
Yes. We'll adjust if need be. Thank you Mike.

PS: I've added and alternative to the exercises, please do take a look.

Fadi.

Hi Fadi,

I love what you have to say here. Gymnasts have the best shoulders and arms don't they? Wow! Not many regular gym guys who call themselves bodybuilders even come close to these guys.

Quick Question about Pre-Exhaustion to prevent injury.

Youngs Modulus Stress over Strain.

When one stays close to ones strain limits it is possible to have a blow out. The elastic limit of a spring is my analogy. When you pull a spring out too far it becomes stretched or breaks. Sadly so do I.

My Normal Kid Meets Powerlifter Mentality has come about for a reason.

EXAMPLE
I tend to make strength gains on dips etc that continue week after week. Before I stopped training in 2007 I had a terrible tricep tendon tear doing weighted dips. I had gone to failure on positives, then rest pause singles after 15 sec rests, then all negatives for 4 to 5 seconds when BANG. Under complete control, no bounce, very slow neg rep my tricep tendon exploded.

I seem to have a weird tendency to be able to go to a place where my elastic limit is put at risk. After weeks of gaining, my strength gains seem to always reach breaking point and then I find myself sitting in the emergency ward at the hospital. Not due to poor form or ballistic cheating either. Not due to steroid gains either as I am clean.

Being motivated by fear of injury I have been doing pre exhaustion supersets on everything so as to reduce the tonage on my compound movements.

It seems to be working. Plus there seems to be a carry over effect on the basics. When I
just feel like doing workout with just the compound straight sets. ie gains up.

I am still maxing out and giving it 100% but the strain tonage is less. The sets are still relatively heavy but the danger edge seems to be reduced.

Looking at my 20 something years of training diaries I can see a constant pattern of gain gain gain crash.

Yes I know some will think me weak for heading this direction but I am tired of being out of action due to damage. IMO It's not a sign of weekness to take logical steps to be safe.

IMO Pre Ex is not a sin.
This seems to be working.

Thanks

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Fadi,

I love what you have to say here. Gymnasts have the best shoulders and arms don't they? Wow! Not many regular gym guys who call themselves bodybuilders even come close to these guys.

This is a common comment which I think is misleading.
Most of the gymnasts we see with well built bodies are world class competitiors.
Most regular gymnasts are quite thin and lightweight as far as I've seen.
So if you look at natural elite strength trainers or bodybuilders, they would likely be equally or better built with less time training.

gymnastics2009a.jpg

I know a few Aussie AIS gymnasts, they have biceps like canon balls, Round delts and good pecs too. All this without ever lifting a weight.

Not implying that good bodybuilders aren't heaps better. I just see that in the gym, overall, there are few guys who are better than world class gymnasts. Even among the lighter bodybuilders.

So to clarify... yes most gymnasts are not as big as most bodybuilders. My comparison was not a fair one. World class gymnasts are often better than the average gym bodybuilder...... BUT there is some merit in the generalization that their training of bodies through space is effective.

My point was more that they are great without doing dedicated bodybuilding training.

Thanks Rob

This is a common comment which I think is misleading.
Most of the gymnasts we see with well built bodies are world class competitiors.
Most regular gymnasts are quite thin and lightweight as far as I've seen.
So if you look at natural elite strength trainers or bodybuilders, they would likely be equally or better built with less time training.

Last edited: