• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Loosing the gut and showing the Abs!

k_21

Hello gents,

Quick summary about me and a question.

I'm 33 and a pretty skinny guy. Currenlty weigh
72kg about 5'6". However, as you may imagine
most of my fat is on my gut! It's looking like a over-pumped
balloon :eek:.

In anycase I want to obviously get rid of it and get a
six pac. However, there seems to be confusion within
the wider community that you CAN'T Bulk and loose
fat at the same time??!!! So I'm posting here to get
all you guys opinion on it.

What have you guys emplyed to achieve the six pac and
loos the gut? Who here has been in a similar position and lost the
gut and achieved the six pac? If so how long did it take?
what type of programe were you on etc? any help is appreciated.

Will post a pic if anyone needs clarification.

Thanks
Devante.

You cannot Bulk and lose fat. Plain and simlpe.

As for achieving a 6 pack, that is all about diet. I will say that there is no use having a 6 pack if you have nothing else going along with it.

Mmm, age 33 i've seen kids at 12 who got's 6 packs or even younger. But never too late for a six pack. Im skinny too, but I use to just do 360 situps every night for about 2-3 months can't remember but eventually I got a 6 pack, it was during year 5 then since then i trained until year 6 and got them. I started with 30 situps until I felt the burn once I was use to it I would double it, so 60 sits up, then 120, then jump up to 300 then stop at 360. I know it doesn't help much but cardio helps such as a jogging, my friend wraps gladwrap around his stomach and jogs but it loses the fat for some weird reason, sounds strange but it works.

You cannot Bulk and lose fat. Plain and simlpe.

As for achieving a 6 pack, that is all about diet. I will say that there is no use having a 6 pack if you have nothing else going along with it.

Hi GTiR,

Thanks for the info.

To answer your question NO I'm not trying to just get a six pac.
I'm attempting to get to the gym 5days(ideal) a week. Here's my
routine.

Mon:Upper body
Tue: Cardio +Abs
Wed:Lower Body
Thu:Cardio
Fri: Upper
Sat:Cardio +Abs

Although I have to confess it's been more like 3 days lately. I
have heard quite a lot of people say that building muscle will
in-fact help fat loss??!!! And YES the jury is still out on this!

Comments welcome

Thanks.

No the Jury is not out on it, Building muscle will help fat loss. By lifting heavy you will be speeding up your metabolism by building muscle.

What does your actual workout look like? Can you list the excersizes.

As I have stated, a 6 pack becomes visible because of low bodyfat. To achieve this you need to have a good diet that will help you lose bodyfat. What is your diet like? This is usually the place that people go wrong.

Yes I think that's the key! Nutrition or the lack of
it in my case!

Will just need to discipline myself and eat right.

I'm sick of seeing a spare tire around my waist!

Here's my routine.

All sets involve the concept of 6 sets with 60 break between sets. Set 6 will be a different exercise for the same muscle group.

For example
Upper body:

Flat Dumbell press
Set
1 12x30lbs,
2 10x30lbs,
3 8x35lbs,
4 6x42lbs,
5 12x30lbs
6 12x15lbs(Flat Dumbell Flies)

I do this for shoulder / back / triceps and finally biceps. Hope that helped but I have the answer!

Its eating right. That's my challenge!

Mmm, age 33 i've seen kids at 12 who got's 6 packs or even younger. But never too late for a six pack. Im skinny too, but I use to just do 360 situps every night for about 2-3 months can't remember but eventually I got a 6 pack, it was during year 5 then since then i trained until year 6 and got them. I started with 30 situps until I felt the burn once I was use to it I would double it, so 60 sits up, then 120, then jump up to 300 then stop at 360. I know it doesn't help much but cardio helps such as a jogging, my friend wraps gladwrap around his stomach and jogs but it loses the fat for some weird reason, sounds strange but it works.
Old school boxing trick, how it works nobody knows but some people swear by it!!

Its all diet - get your training right, 3 days a week. Maybe do some short high intensity stuff on the off days(burpees, thrusters etc.). Then eat clean with plenty of quality lean protein, fresh veg. Cut out processed food, grains and sugar.

..and Squat heavy!

You'll be on the cover of Mens Health in no time! ;)

I can already see that your program is going to be very lacking. But can I ask what you do for shoulders and back and triceps and biceps? If you are saying that you do Flat Dumbell press for all of them, your program is not good.

Mate I think you've misunderstood my reply.

What I meant was that I do 6 set's per body part (as given
for the chest). Each set starting at 12x reps decreasing by 2
reps until the 4th set. Set 5 & 6 back up to 12x reps each.

And it would go some thing like this:

Chest:- Flat bench Dumb bell press (see previous post)
Shoulders:- Seated Dumb bell Press
Back:- Pull ups with assisted weights
Triceps:- Seated machine press
Biceps:- Preacher Curls.

I may substitute a different exercise every 4-6weeks!

Hope that makes sense!:cool:

Thanks

Everybody has a 6 pack. Its whether or not there is body fat covering them or not. Cardio and a strict clean diet is your best bet to make them show. Once they are and you want them to "pop out" I'd concentrate more on developing your lower abs first- let the middle and upper abs will take care of themselves when you do more compound exercises that involve core activation (squats, deadlifts etc)

The exercises I found to be more productive were decline knee ups and hanging leg raises. I don't like leg raises from the ground as they put too much strain on my lower back however if you like em do em. Crunches are good but they concentrate more on the middle and upper abs.
Russian twists with a plate or hanging twists will give you some nice obliques too. One exercise that I found to be a good all rounder is the "air bike" (just as long as you dont put your feet on the floor at any point) but its not as intense as the previous exercises mentioned.

Hope this helps

If your new to weight lifting then you may see musclke gains and fat loss for the first couple of months - known as noob gains, but these will stop soon after and then it's as Josh has stated - you can either bulk or cut and that is based on your diet more than anything.

Also you need to include more heavy compound exercises in your workout as these will be more beneficial to your goals. Muscle burns more calories than anything else in your body so the more you have the easier it is to lose fat.

Personally I think cardio is overrated (and actually detrimental as it can lead to muscle loss) and is not needed with the right diet and training however this may depend on the individual.

Guys,

Thanks for all those wonderful tips and advise.
I have made a commitment to make sure I have at least
4 meals a day targeting at 6 (That's been my weak point
all along).

Anyway, even if you don't bring your food in (which is much
cheaper than buying) you can still buy good quality foods.
I figured out yesterday that I can walk in to Subway and
buy a 6inc grilled chicken sub with the salad. I said don't worry
about the bread just give it to me in a take away box. The guy
nearly had a heart-attack! :eek:

If I keep this up a 4 weeks and train as per norm I should see
definite results.

Will report back!

Ha ha you can still have bread - the wheat bread is fine, plus they've just introduced wholegrain