• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Want to bulk and define.

What Fadi is saying is if you want to build up the mass, don't worry about bodyfat % until you are happy with size. If you are trying to trim down while building you are not going to get anywhere.

Yes you have been working out for 3 months, though that is not really that long. Given the program you are currently doing you will be building slowly as well. You need a compound program and you need to eat well and eat alot.

the program i posted at the start is the one i am currently doing, i have had 1/2 inch gains pretty much everywhere throughout my body

Well I guess you are the expert then mate, I don't even know why you made a thread asking for advice and then refute all info that is given to you. Keep on with what you got and stay weak and little.

Most people starting out will make some kind of gains, but if you want to do this properly - I'd take the advice given to you by Josh and Fadi.

Using machines for squats and bench is a waste of your time. You will make much faster strength gains if you use free weights for those compound exercises.

The workout you listed really isn't an efficient use of your time and energy - You will realise this as soon as you start hitting some heavy free weights.

Well I guess you are the expert then mate, I don't even know why you made a thread asking for advice and then refute all info that is given to you. Keep on with what you got and stay weak and little.

way to assume that's what i was saying, i was just stating those were my gains, i know the program can be improved and will be starting yours and the beginners one tomorrow when i go to the gym. So please dont assume **** before i actually say it myself.

What were you saying by stating that though?

Anyway, not worth going on and on about. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

What were you saying by stating that though?

Anyway, not worth going on and on about. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

i was stating that i have made some gains from it, people were saying it was a very poorly made program which i am not saying it wasnt but i still had gains from it which i cant not be happy with.

I did my first session of the beginners and i think one or two exercises of joshs and i must say, i am extremely suprised on how well it worked, it was amazingly hard but i felt i achieved more in doing just those few exercises then i did doing ALLLLL of the other ones.

All free weight:
Bench Press - 45kg 3x8
Military Press - 30kg 3x8
Dips - 3x12
Barbell Curls - 20kg 3x8
Barbell Rows - 55kg 3x8
SLDL - 55kg 3x8
Barbell Front raises 55kg 3x8
Bicep Curls - 12.5kg 3x8
Squat - 65kg 3x8

Last edited:
That is not bad, but you have altered a bit.

Why two sets of Bicep Curls? BB Bicep Curls should be enough along with the back stuff you are doing. Also Barbell Front Raises, what are these? 55kg seems bloody heavy for what I think you are talking about.

At least you are seeing what we have been talking about.

That is not bad, but you have altered a bit.

Why two sets of Bicep Curls? BB Bicep Curls should be enough along with the back stuff you are doing. Also Barbell Front Raises, what are these? 55kg seems bloody heavy for what I think you are talking about.

At least you are seeing what we have been talking about.

YouTube - Barbell Raises 60kg (132lbs)

an altered version of this, probably about 10 inches lower and i feel it in my chest/shoulders/traps.

yes i do, and i thank you dearly for it because i would have been continuing with my same old ****ty work out and i realize now how much extra i was doing than i should have been. also military press feels SO GOOD.

the reason i did 2 sets of bicep curls is because i want to build a nice peak on both of them, but if it is doing its job on the BB curls then i wont do it. Something else i forgot to add was i did tricep cable pulls 3x10 35kg.

Last edited:
your doing to many extra lifts. if your not tired after doing the prescribed number then you didn't work hard enough. raise the weights or decrease the rest period.

your doing to many extra lifts. if your not tired after doing the prescribed number then you didn't work hard enough. raise the weights or decrease the rest period.

what do you mean too many extra lifts? i was doing basically what the beginner program told me to do, and i dont want to increase the weight too much because i dont want to get too big, thats my main fear.

what do you mean too many extra lifts? i was doing basically what the beginner program told me to do, and i dont want to increase the weight too much because i dont want to get too big, thats my main fear.

you added barbell front raises, and extra set of curls and dips. and you didn't do squats.

fear of getting too big, i usually hear that from women. i wish it was that easy to put on muscle. put the weight up, or don't bother training.

you added barbell front raises, and extra set of curls and dips. and you didn't do squats.

fear of getting too big, i usually hear that from women. i wish it was that easy to put on muscle. put the weight up, or don't bother training.

sorry im getting extremely confused here, yes i did add the barbell front raises due to the fact i have been doing them for a very long amount of time probably about 6 months. i stated why i did the extra bicep curl exercise and dips were Josh's idea (look at page 1) also i did do squats i just forgot to put it in when i posted the others up, my mistake it's fixed now :)

yeah, pretty much i dont know why i put on muscle so fast i've just been told by numerous people (including my ex athletics trainer) who works for the AIS in the 100/200/400/1500 athletics that i shouldnt do to heavy weights or i will put too much on.

Last edited:
as long as you feel like you achieved something then that's all the matters.

can i ask why are you training? just because this program is for muscle gain

Haz is spot on Bree. I didn't say what he is saying as you are at least making a step in the right direction.

If you are to take on the Beginners program then you need to stick to exactly what that is. I never said to add Dips to that program, I said to do dips in the program that I outlined. You shouldn't be chopping and changing.

With the beginners program you need to be busting your ass, if you are able to do more excersizes you are not pushing yourself enough. As for the muscle gain, I can understand where you are coming from to a point. I only weigh 76kg which is pretty light compared to most lifters. I never have wanted to be a 90kg meat axe, but I also do want to add some more size.

You are not going to wake up one day and be massive, trust me! It is not that easy at all. You are growing fast at the moment as you are a beginner and that is the way it goes. That will slow down man.

You should stick to the program and go as hard as you can for 3 months and see what happens after that. You will not end up like Arnie.

Also, those are BB Upright Rows not front raises. 60kg is pretty massive for that, I can't help but wonder if you are doing it right.

Last edited:
All free weight:
Bench Press - 45kg 3x8
Military Press - 30kg 3x8
Dips - 3x12
Barbell Curls - 20kg 3x8
Barbell Rows - 55kg 3x8
SLDL - 55kg 3x8
Barbell Front raises 55kg 3x8
Bicep Curls - 12.5kg 3x8
Squat - 65kg 3x8
Same thing ?????

Haz is spot on Bree. I didn't say what he is saying as you are at least making a step in the right direction.

If you are to take on the Beginners program then you need to stick to exactly what that is. I never said to add Dips to that program, I said to do dips in the program that I outlined. You shouldn't be chopping and changing.

With the beginners program you need to be busting your ass, if you are able to do more excersizes you are not pushing yourself enough. As for the muscle gain, I can understand where you are coming from to a point. I only weigh 76kg which is pretty light compared to most lifters. I never have wanted to be a 90kg meat axe, but I also do want to add some more size.

You are not going to wake up one day and be massive, trust me! It is not that easy at all. You are growing fast at the moment as you are a beginner and that is the way it goes. That will slow down man.

You should stick to the program and go as hard as you can for 3 months and see what happens after that. You will not end up like Arnie.

Also, those are BB Upright Rows not front raises. 60kg is pretty massive for that, I can't help but wonder if you are doing it right.
i was at atleast 90-95% on all my lifts, i could add an extra 5-10kg easy, i will stick at it for 3 months, i will take a before and after picture to see the gains i have had over that period and will be sure to fill you guys in :]

i will take a small video of me doing my version of the lift too, just to make sure im doing it right.

as long as you feel like you achieved something then that's all the matters.

can i ask why are you training? just because this program is for muscle gain

I am training because i hate being "Normal" i want to build muscle so i can feel more confident with myself, get some heads turning when i take off my shirt hahaha and basically its good for you.

Same thing ?????

I stated why i did that in a previous post, basically i want a nice peak on my bicep and twisted bicep curls seem to be working

Last edited:
I think 5x5 would be perfect for beginners to build a decent base!!

Yeah shrek he knows what he is doing ,,,building peak lol

im not saying he doesn't, but if you dont have anything to contribute, please dont post in this thread. if he has something to say about my opinion im sure he will.