• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

waist size.

brendon

ok so whats peoples thoughts on this.

obviously a lower bodyfat percentage will decrease fat around the waistline but what about the effects heavy compound movements play in keeping waist size down? heavy squats and deads use the core muscles abdominals/obliques and other ones quite a lot. therefore allowing them to grow, . my waistline is about 35.5 inches and im not interested in getting it much smaller as for me its just not stuffing up an eating some cake to get it a little smaller but , you see like Ronnie coleman , dorian yates and all those guys who have massive roid guts, i know why they get roid gut but then you compare them to dexter jackson who has quite a narrow waist . What did they do to keep waist sizes down?
was it just they did not allow the abdominal muscles to grow heaps? this is just a random thought i had. or did they over train the abdominals so they would not grow to much but get quite toned.

Dexter's waist is not as narrow as you think. He still has a distended gut esp when viewed from side.

ok so whats peoples thoughts on this.

obviously a lower bodyfat percentage will decrease fat around the waistline but what about the effects heavy compound movements play in keeping waist size down? heavy squats and deads use the core muscles abdominals/obliques and other ones quite a lot. therefore allowing them to grow, . my waistline is about 35.5 inches and im not interested in getting it much smaller as for me its just not stuffing up an eating some cake to get it a little smaller but , you see like Ronnie coleman , dorian yates and all those guys who have massive roid guts, i know why they get roid gut but then you compare them to dexter jackson who has quite a narrow waist . What did they do to keep waist sizes down?
was it just they did not allow the abdominal muscles to grow heaps? this is just a random thought i had. or did they over train the abdominals so they would not grow to much but get quite toned.

I think doing alot of compound movements will play a small role in waist size but I think when it comes down to it, it has alot to do with genetics.

Ronnie and Dorian both have/had fairly wide waists (Ronnie more-so later years) - and im not talking GH guts here - and they were both very much into heavy compound movements, so I always wondered if its related to that or genetics, drugs or a mix of all options.

Dexter on the other hand still has a GH gut but its alot narrower through the waist - I have never heard of Dexter focusing his training around really heavy compound movements like Ronnie and Dorian did - so that could be a reason - or again it could just come down to genetics and how your body reacts to weight training overall.