• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Australian Supplement Prices

the amount of $$$ spent by the importers on gettin the products into the country is huge!.. permits registrations.. frieght.. tax's. as well as the aussie dollar jumpin up and down. ontop of that they still have to make some money.. u wouldnt do what i do day in day out for free so why should the guys who import the product in.. if any one has dealt with TGA and AQIS b4 u would know how expensive it can be...

This is what we needed to know, what costs are are involved when bringing supplements in when trading as a business/importer, not just an individual buying directly from the USA.
Of course the local suppliers have to make money, they have business expenses to cover and have to make a reasonable profit margin on their costs.

The question is, why is Australia's policy so strict concerning taxes, duties, customs, etc?

And, to avoid this, surely a national Australian manufacturer could be formed to manufacture world class quality supplements and distribute locally, to avoid all these other importing and associated costs.
They are probably already doing this, but since the market price has been set, they probably price their products to be just below the market price which is set.

GNC and Go Vita massively overcharge, there is no doubt about that. Go and check what they charge for No-Xplode and their protein powders. It is crazy!

You would think that companies as large as that with the volume they bring over would be able to cut some costs on price. GNC is well known for over charging in the US as well.

well if your not making 30% GP minimum then you shouldnt be in business.. every one has to make money... fact of life...
we cant expect a retailer to lower its profit to 10-15%...
and if they source a cheaper australian alternative... will they sell the product as well as an AST or BSN or dymatize even... most the time ur buying respected brand name..

Just to start this out, I'd like to say that this thread isn't about bashing the Australian Supplement retailers or anything along those lines. And I don't want it to turn into a "you don't need supplements, just eat, sleep and lift heavy s**t" thread.

I'd just like to know why buying supplements in Australia costs so much when compared to buying them overseas. The Australian dollar is continually growing stronger compared to the U.S, even projected to surpass it in the near future, however I am sure we won't see supplement prices decreasing at all. Buying supplements retail from the U.S is literally 2 to 3 times cheaper, some even being upto a quater of the price of the product when purchased from Australia. Even adding in postage an order is considerably cheaper and can be received in around in 2 to 3 days (with express post which is only a couple of dollars extra). Also note I've never had a problem with customs seizing anything I've ordered.

I like to support Australian industry but where it comes at a massive expense to myself I struggle. I can only assume it comes down to taxes. I know Aminoz on this site runs an online store so I'm hoping he or someone in the industry can provide me some insight.

It's a booming industry in Australia with stores constantly popping up, so I'd assume this would force everyone to have competitive pricing. I won't be posting up any price comparisons because that's not what this is about, but people can do their own research if they are unsure.

I haven't read through this thread because I'm on a bit of a timer at the moment, but I did see this topic so thought I'd put up a quick post.

I feel your pain - Australia has always been relatively expensive with supplements. But you should see the margins that us retailers are working at - it's pretty slim pickings.

It's all about the supply chain, and of course general supply/demand. Compare an American retailer to an Aussie:

USA: Manufacturer -> Distributor -> Retail Store
Australia: Manufacturer -> US Distributor -> AU Distributor -> Retail Store

That additional middleman incurs a lot of costs from:

1. Shipping from USA to AU
2. Their overheads, advertising, samples etc.
3. The fact that they are also a business and need to make a profit to survive

As retailers, we are unable to import the goods from the states to cut out the middleman. Apart from the fact that Aussie suppliers have exclusive rights, it's illegal to import from the states without the correct packaging and resell in Australia.

You guys as the buyers also have to pay GST, which adds another 10%.

All these additional costs add up and ultimately result in a more expensive product. But, the advantages of buying locally of course include such things as convenience, reliability, contactability, supporting the Aussie economy, easier resolution of problems etc.

I know whilst we are very competitive on price, we do aim to outdo our American counterparts by offering exceptional service. This is only possible because we are a much smaller company than the overseas giants, so we can provide that "added value".

Ok, Max's are an Australian company as far as I know, been around for quite a while.
Assume they manufacture locally in Australia:
Maxs - Maxs aminoactive bodybuilding supplements ,workouts nutrition research sports dietary supplements.

So if they avoid all the import taxes, duties, other fees, etc, why are their prices still higher than importing an equivalent product from the USA?

I suppose they are just meeting the market.
If consumers are buying, they will keep selling for as high a price as they can get away with, basic business.
We have been conditioned over time in Australia to accept high prices.
We have also been conditioned into believing that we "need" all these supplements.

If they make it and market it, people will buy it, it's funny like that.

Good post Hulk. Syn-Tec as well. I think they are actually an NZ company, yet they are more expensive than the US brands anyway. I think there is more to it, and I do think we are getting the shaft.

I think everyone has been conditioned into believing we "need" supplements. For some reason, most at AusBB see past that crap. One of the many reasons I like it here.

Even if you are buying a private order direct from the States, and think you are getting a good deal for brand name supplements, most of the purchase price is funding the supplement companys' marketing campaigns.

I had an eBook with recipes on how to make most of the brand name supplements with raw bulk ingredients, for a small fraction of retail/end user prices.
Unfortunately, can't find it now.
Personally, couldn't be bothered making my own supplements, but many people would.

There was a segment on making supplements, how easy they are to make and how deceptive the industry can be in the documentary - Bigger Stronger Faster.

Hulk, do you know the name of the ebook that you where talking about, or if you could rember where you got it from would be great. i think i would be great to find out whats in some of the stuff.

Don't buy supplements in Australia

LAB LAUNDRY

That article pretty much sums it up for me. I don't have too many commitments at the moment so I've got a bit of extra money that I don't mind throwing away on some supplements just to see how they might change my training or how I react to them. $30 for a Pre-WO drink is nothing but when charged $100 for it in Australia there's no way I'll be buying it from here.

Anyway some good insights as to why it costs so much in Australia. It would be good if there were some quality Australian manufacturers that were willing to offer value for money supplements and not just meet the current market prices.

ok.. 60 dollars for dymatize US....
Right now the dollars good. but lets be serious.. its not going to stay that way.. 5 months ago it was jumping between 55/65 cents. as a distributor u have to have a happy medium so u do all ur sums around 75 cents.. that 60 dollars jumps to 80 dollar AUD then once u convert it .. then your paying 10% GST once it lands.. plus fright to get it here which isn’t cheap.. plus product registration.. plus u hope ur shipment doesn’t get seized by AQIS in which u get stuck with the bill for the audit.. onto of that u add marketing.. wages.. and a profit..
Then the retailer gets there hands on it. pays freight from the distributor.. plus what ever expenses they have.. plus the retailer needs to make a profit.. 160 doesn’t sound that bad..
yes u can import in ur self..
but u run the risk of losing the product.. cause il tell u know.. the distributor isn’t going to be handing over his manufacturing certs to u so u can get he product into the country esp if he is paying 20K PA for those documents.. and yet people have the nerve to sook and bitch to distributors/imports when there products r seized and they wont help u out....
just like anything.. BMWs here in Australia r worth heaps more then if you bought one from germany..

use all sound like a bunch of JEWS to me :)

I say support these guys.. they have risked a lot to bring in quality products into the country easily available to you on a Dailey basis.
JEWS JEWS JEWS!!! J
Whats for lunch.. im hungry

I don't know about that, it will be interesting to see how long the AUD stays up against USD. I personally think it is going to be there for a while.

As for savings in my pocket. I have a family, study work full time and nothing is getting cheaper. Anything that I can keep in my pocket I will, regardless of who I am giving profit to at the moment.

I don't know about that, it will be interesting to see how long the AUD stays up against USD. I personally think it is going to be there for a while.

As for savings in my pocket. I have a family, study work full time and nothing is getting cheaper. Anything that I can keep in my pocket I will, regardless of who I am giving profit to at the moment.

thats cool... Just dont have a sook when ur shipment gets siezed by customs.. do what shrek does if u wanna save cash.. buy aussie made stuff in bulk..

Bulk WPC bought in Aust works out cheaper than importing smaller 1-2kg tubs.
BULK WPC FTW.

there u go.. ur granateed ur products to rock up.... doesnt have a big name or flasshy packaging.. but does the job..