• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Barry_

Good Afternoon,

I'm over 6-foot, almost 18, 87kg and would like to increase my vertical jump & general agility.

My current routine is as follows;

Floor-work;

• 70 Pushups
  • 300 Situps
Weights;
22.5KG Barbell

• 13 repetitions of both exercises, (wrists facing up, wrists facing down)
12.5KG Dumbells

Please recommend what I should add/remove from my current routine in order to become a faster, and jumpier (higher jumping!) basketball player.

I would like to keep most if not all (or more) of my current strength as well as increasing strength directly related to improving my Basketball.

I welcome suggestions.

Thanks you,

Barry_

Last edited:
I'm no expert, keep that in mind when i say....how are shrugs & front delt raises going to help you jump higher ?

Things like power cleans, snatches & polymetric work will improve your vertical jump

I'm no expert, keep that in mind when i say....how are shrugs & front delt raises going to help you jump higher ?

Things like power cleans, snatches & polymetric work will improve your vertical jump
My current routine is from some rock-climbing strengthening website my brother referred me to, over a year ago.

I'd like to switch over to a more basketballer orientated routine, with as little muscle/strength lost as possible.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you,

Barry

^What's wrong with my current?

What are side laterals?

__________Before Edit__________

Shouldn't of chosen a desk job :eek:

Hmm, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the advice, please keep it coming!

Barry

Last edited:
Squats, Squat Jumps, Powercleans, lunges, burpees, Jumping. Anything that is explosive lower body work
This post is spot on, I don't see the point of doing neck/shoulder exercises when 90% of improvements in your leap will be seen from stronger legs :)

You have a Barbell so you should be doing.

Military Press
Bear Complex (Judds) See Below
Sprint Training
Vertical Leaps
BB Rows
Pull Ups
Push Ups (Variations of the ush up. Wide, close, Medium width)
Lunges

[youtube]YEwDSjizzLU[/youtube]

^Thanks... um that video you posted looks a little dangerous.

Would you recommend I find some free Guest-Pass for a gym and get them to walk me through it? (and other exercises)

EDIT:

Most of them I can't do because I don't have the equipment.

I just tried BB Rows, did 13 repetitions... WOH

Not sure if I should be doing certain exercises/stretches after it, also how do I make sure I'm positioning my back in the right place?

EDIT2;

Did another 20 BB Rows... (22.5KG barbell)

Last edited:
This subject is dear to my heart. I have 2 boys that play basketball, and I coach.

Max is 173cm @ 72kg and 17. He easily jumps and hangs off the 10' ring.

The first exercise you need to do is powerclean, followed by deadlift and squats. Then some push presses or jerks.

Thats it.

Nothing you are doing will contribute to an increase in your hops.

For Basketball you need to get the "twitch" muscles working more. So a normal technique for squats wont quite work. You need to do the sqaut faster.

One of the best things for vertical jump is skipping. Another idea is to buy some ankle weights, and train with them on. Both these worked very good for me when I was playing, and then coaching basketball.

Those are valid but very dated techniques. Speed with out strength is like ****** without ***. Its why we combine cleans(power) with deadlifts(strength)

If you have no access to quality gym equipment though, ankle weights are excellent.

Compared to what your now doing, they are 100% better.

The glutes and hamstrings are the prime movers in jumping in case your wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread. I love basketball so I will surely be working on my powercleans, squats, and DLs.

Sorry PTC but I deemed it necessary to edit your above post, some could have found it offensive.

back when i played basketball, i did a jump program to increase my vertical leap, im rougly 5"7 but i was able to grab onto a basketball ring..

i just copied this one of hoopsvibe, but theres so many programs out there to help you.
just gotta find one your comfortable with, and stick with it...

Nine Weeks Jump Program

This is a great 9 weeks jumping training session. Follow it carefully to get real results. Always take 60-90 seconds minimum of rest between sets.

Weeks 1 & 2

Pick 2 exercises to do 3 times per week from the list below.

1. Jump-rope: 3-5 sets of 100 reps, 2 sets (1 on each leg) of one-legged jumping of 100 reps.

2. Square jumping: create a square with four quadrants on the floor (use tape or something) and jump around into each square in a clockwise and the counterclockwise pattern. Do 4 sets of 25 reps alternating clockwise and counterclockwise rotation (one time around, four hops, counts as one repetition.

3. Jump and Reach: Find an object that is just beyond your reach and jump from a standing position (no approach) and reach for it (basketball rim or point on the backboard). Do 5 sets of 15 reps.

4. Pool Jumps: This is great for anyone with a back injury. Squat and jump out of the water as high as you can; land in a manner that puts no pressure on your body (if you sit into the water when you come down, you will avoid most impact injuries—don’t land on the bottom of the pool butt-first though). Using chest-high water works great for those with back injuries (me), and the shallower the water, the more pressure will be put on your joints. I recommend this for everyone that has access to a pool—you avoid the impact but get a great workout on your legs. Do 3 sets of 10 repetitions.

Weeks 3 & 4

Continue doing two of the three exercises for weeks 1 & 2. Choose 2 more of the 4 exercises listed below.

1. Block Jumps: Find an object within your reach on an average, less than maximal jump. It’s best for this object to be on top of something. I used objects on a 8 ft. bookshelf. The reason for this is that you want to be able to reach up and penetrate over this object and not touch the structure the object is on top of or the object itself. Jump and reach with maximal effort reaching with strong hands, fingers spread, and without touching anything in the process. Work on getting as close to the objects as possible with your hands and moving your hands around the object while in mid-air. This will better your balance while still jumping with maximal intensity. Do 3 sets of 10-15 repetitions. And don’t knock the bookshelf over.

2. No-armed Jumps: Get ready for the hardest exercise. Jump with your hand clasped above your head striving to touch your knees to your chest on each jump. As your feet hit the ground, rebound back into the air (bounce, with no pause on the ground). This exercise really sucks because you realize how much you use your arms to jump. Do 3 sets of 15-20 reps. Have a trashcan ready for puking.

3. Approach Jumps: Do normal approaches with maximal jumps. Reach for an object slightly out of reach. Concentrate on your arm movements as well as the speed of your approach (the faster the better). The closer (time-wise not distance-wise) that your last two steps hit the ground, the higher you’ll jump. Focus on mechanics. Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps.

4. Laundry-Jumps: Named after the materials I had available to me at the time, this exercise requires jumping back and forth over an object in a side-to-side motion. The object should be no taller than 2 feet and no lower than 8 inches. It should not be more than 12 inches in width. The object should also be collapsable in case you land on it. I used an extremely collapsable laundry basket (plastic). Rebound back and forth over the basket. Do 3 sets of 20-30 reps.

Weeks 5 & 6

Do your 4 exercises from weeks 1-4 and add one from this list:

1) Speed skater bounds: Do the same motions as a speed skater would. When you land on your right foot, your left arm should be swinging in front of you, your right arm should be swinging backward, and your left foot should be close to the ground and crossed behind your right leg. Sorry if the description isn’t very good. I recommend watching a speed skater. Instead of sliding back and forth while bent over, you bound back and forth over about a distance of 4-6 feet depending on how tall you are. You should feel it killing your gluteus maximus. Do 3 sets of 30 repetitions.

2) Split-leg jumps: Start in a kneeling position with your forward leg bent at 90 degrees and your back leg slightly off the ground. Jump and land with the opposite foot forward and the opposite foot backward (don’t bang your knee on the ground). On your forward leg, try and keep from bending your ankle so that your knee is more forward than your foot (this puts a lot of pressure on your knees). Do 3 sets of 30 repetitions.

Weeks 7, 8, & 9

Now it’s time to do some real work.

From weeks 3 & 4, do three of the four exercises and add 10 repetitions to each exercise. Also, do both of the exercises from weeks 5 & 6 adding 10 repetitions to each. After you are done with these 9 weeks, take a week off and do some "active-rest". After that, do some of the exercises that you enjoyed the most—or the exercises that you felt you benefitted the most from. Do 3 of your favorite ones three times per week working on intensity and increasing the number of reps you do every week. After another nine weeks of that "playing around", you might want to start working on the program again. I recommend a lot of "down-time" from plyometrics after a nine week period of hard training.
I have kept nearly all of my gained vertical jump after I finished a year of plyometrics and progressive weight training without much plyometric maintenance. However, to get back to peak form, I would have to do three sets of some exercises, three times per week for a few weeks. I do that a few weeks before each season begins. Good luck.

Those are valid but very dated techniques. Speed with out strength is like ****** without ***. Its why we combine cleans(power) with deadlifts(strength)

If you have no access to quality gym equipment though, ankle weights are excellent.

Compared to what your now doing, they are 100% better.

The glutes and hamstrings are the prime movers in jumping in case your wondering.

Yes, very true.

However, you will find that a lot of people who are new to bball will try to increase their strength in their legs, and thus, do very heavy leg exercises.

It is important to do both. 100% agreed. But in my experience, the two that seem to work the best are more basketball playing, and skipping.

Revised Routine

Hello Everyone,

Since I last posted on the forum, I have turned 18! :D

Here is my latest routine, feel free to critique & suggest new styles/additional exercises & if I should be doing any stretches;

• My old dumbbell routine, all in one standing
  • Plyometric Barbell Curls (normal grip & reverse grip, 12 reps)
  • 70x Pushups

Thank you,

Barry_

^Thanks.

Looks doable;
i35.tinypic.com/2useb9s.jpg

I'll do it for 3 weeks to see if any change is noticeable.

Also, am I meant to do legwork in the morning, and other weights in the night, or the other way around?

Barry_