• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
With your last few posts Barry, this thread is bordering on the m****ic

Last edited by a moderator:
Markos, Barry has taken offence to that "M" word you've used to describe his last few posts; so I've edited it.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Hi

Just a quick update;

To conform my skills to the correct style, I've applied for a Gym.

Sure, it does kind of mean I gave up, but who know's, it may be of benefit.

Thanks for all your help,

Barry_

I don't know, it's as if I've given up on the Internet :S

(well not entirely, but you get where I'm coming from)

hey guys, i found this thread and forum while i was googling on increasing vert. i know abit about it as i increased my vert from 60cm to 93cm over the period of a year and a half through strength training and plyometrics.

i really suggest you get a guide on how to do it, there are books out there that go in depth increasing your vert and come pre prepared with routines to match your ability, nutrition plans and other useful stuff.

i know cos i've used one, its worth it if you're going to stick to it.

firstly to jump higher, you need to strengthen your posterior chain. which is your glutes, hamstringes and to a lesser extent, calves. your lower back is also very important as the power generated by your legs can over time be too great for the landing impact - for your lower back to handle.

what im saying is, your legs put you too high in the air, and when you land your lower back cant take it.

so your need to train your legs, and lower back.

how does one do that? its pretty easy, you find a strength routine such as a 5x3 or a 5x5 routine and an appropriate split.

your routine should be HEAVY weight, LOW reps. dont worry about speed just yet.

squats, front squats, deadlifts, RLDL, weighted pistol squats, weighted one legged squats, lower back hyperextensions with weight, etc

you can vary the exercises to keep your body guessing.

once you can squat about 1.5 - 2x its time to move onto plyometrics, a good plyometrics program is pretty much essential cos its really not something you just jump into (lol at pun)

Great post, bumping this thread back up as it has got so much useful info for the bball players out there.

Apart from increasing my vertical jump, I'd like to know how NOT to get pummelled in basketball.... I play mixed basketball and often have to play against 6 ft beefcakes. Today was the worst game in a while, I got jostled, shoved, had an elbow in the head a few times, etc etc. (I'm a shortie at 164cm and a lightweight too, 60kg)

What can I do? Just focus on gaining muscle because next time I can shove back harder??

Katie; Dr. Ken always would quote Alvin Roy who was one of the first de facto NFL strength coaches. He said that any player squatting over 500 pounds wasn't running enough.

You have to practice to improve.

Weights used as an adjunct to sport should just be means of reducing injury by increasing strength.

Most power comes from the hips transfers through the shoulder.
You want to jump higher? Practice jumping.

Last edited:
Interesting posts, Silverback. What advantage do you mean, specifically? All I can see are the disadvantages - my head height being at their elbow height... ouchy!

Probably going to take the rest of the day off work today, suspect I'm mildly concussed.

Ouch Katie, a person who has short legs and a longer torso can change direction a lot quicker than someone who has long legs short torso.
Look at Wayne Cary very strong upper body, his centre of gravity is lower than most.
He is known as the duck.

A case of someone who is strong in spite of his training rather than because of it.

You just have to do the best with what you have.
It's the chicken soup story.

Practice will help you, lifting weights will also to a degree.

Power transfer is interesting, look at a boxer through a punch, his punch resembles a shoulder press.
Some feel the bench press is the exercise that imroves strength on the field.
It does little, short of wrecking shoulders.

You want to jump higher? Practice jumping.

That comment raises an interesting point.

I have 2 sons that both play in the same team, Max is 17 and Jesse turns 16 on Sunday.

Max is incredibly strong and fanatical with the weights, especially for the last 20 months or so.

Jesse has started training only recently, but shows great potential. Jesse jumps 1000 times a day lol, practicing dunks on a lowered ring. He does this all night every night.

Both boys have extremely good vertical leaps. Max at 173cm has no issues jumping from 1 step and hanging onto a 10' ring.

Jesse is 172cm and cant touch the ring yet.

Both ways have been effective, but I think if Jesse had Max's strength, he could be dunking at 172cm and 15.

So if I had to choose, I would choose both, jump AND lift weights.

Yes PTC.
I like the analogy;
pound for pound a skilled boxer will always hit harder than a stronger untrained person.

Now, what if someone could only do one or the other?

Matching the results to the effort, I would say jump.

Max kills himself in the gym, Jesse has a ball practicing all his dunks.

Jesses vertical is not too far behind Max's.

Max has the better physique, but nobody cares what you look like if you have your balls in the guys face lol

^LOL

On the other note, you're mentioning that he's "fanatical" on the weights, could you be more specific with the exact routine he completes?

hey guys, i found this thread and forum while i was googling on increasing vert. i know abit about it as i increased my vert from 60cm to 93cm over the period of a year and a half through strength training and plyometrics.

i really suggest you get a guide on how to do it, there are books out there that go in depth increasing your vert and come pre prepared with routines to match your ability, nutrition plans and other useful stuff.

i know cos i've used one, its worth it if you're going to stick to it.

firstly to jump higher, you need to strengthen your posterior chain. which is your glutes, hamstringes and to a lesser extent, calves. your lower back is also very important as the power generated by your legs can over time be too great for the landing impact - for your lower back to handle.

what im saying is, your legs put you too high in the air, and when you land your lower back cant take it.

so your need to train your legs, and lower back.

how does one do that? its pretty easy, you find a strength routine such as a 5x3 or a 5x5 routine and an appropriate split.

your routine should be HEAVY weight, LOW reps. dont worry about speed just yet.

squats, front squats, deadlifts, RLDL, weighted pistol squats, weighted one legged squats, lower back hyperextensions with weight, etc

you can vary the exercises to keep your body guessing.

once you can squat about 1.5 - 2x its time to move onto plyometrics, a good plyometrics program is pretty much essential cos its really not something you just jump into (lol at pun)

Excellent post gurkoboy, it seems as if you registered here just to help me out!

Sorry for not replying sooner, only just noticed your reply.

I'll do as much of what you suggested as possible, and will get back to you in 3 months to tell you if I've improved (I'll start the routine you suggested in a month)

Thanks everyone for your continual help & advice,

Barry_

Good Morning,

Mat77 & aussieBaller referred me back to this thread because of a new thread I created. However, although each thread was created for different purposes, there is a lot of useful information in this thread which I haven't had the time to go through.Just sifted through this thread, and found the sheer number of different exercises scary!!!

Since I'm not well versed in training, or the male anatomy :rolleyes:, could I please have some help winnowing through the following list, of 29 different exercises, to find the best routine?

Thank you,

Barry_

• Approach Jumps
  • BB Rows
  • Block Jumps
  • Burpees
  • Jerks
  • Jump and Reach
  • Jumping
  • Laundry Jumps
  • Lunges
  • Military Press
  • No-armed Jumps
  • Pool Jumps
  • Power cleans
  • Pull Ups
  • Push Presses
  • Push Ups (Variations of the push up. Wide, close, Medium width)
  • Skipping
  • Snatches
  • Speed skater bounds
  • Split-leg jumps
  • Sprint Training
  • Square Jumping
  • Squat Jumps
  • Squats
  • Train with ankle weights
  • Vertical Leaps
  • Weighted lower back Hyperextensions
  • Weighted one-legged Squats
  • Weighted Pistol squats

Last edited:
^Thanks, looks like a real handy website.

The reason I submitted my last post was to find out which of the 30 (took out Bear Complex from lack of confidence) exercises I should complete, how often, and to what degree.

I don't believe it would be good to do all 30 of those exercises twice a day 7 days a week, maybe I should only do 8 of them, and if so, which 8?

Please alleviate my concerns.

Thank you,

Barry_

Last edited: