• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Wait till Markos sees that,he`ll have a fit!
WTF is with the 2-3 thicknesses of board there?Cheating!

Zarkov, they also do that at PTC. It is a way of training for a heavier bench, to help lock out I believe.

You should check some of the training logs over at Powerlifters. Dudes pressing 267.5kg in training. CRAZY!

Last edited:
ME day originated at westside. I've used most of those priciples with some success. we have 4 boards, 3 boards and 2 boards.

What I've found is burnout in lifters that lift clean. If you take juice, you can follow lots of their ideals, but clean will kill you.

Nina used a lot of these priciples when she competed at the Nationals. We just restrict the number of sets for recovery.

You should have a look Noobs, just because they have assistance gear doesn't mean they aren't strong. I prefer RAW lifting, but credit where it is due. Given the pressing off blocks and with all the gear, I was expecting a bit more. But it does get pretty heavy towards the end. It would be nice to know the bodyweights of the lifters as well.

ME is the training, he is not in it.

ME day originated at westside. I've used most of those priciples with some success. we have 4 boards, 3 boards and 2 boards.

What I've found is burnout in lifters that lift clean. If you take juice, you can follow lots of their ideals, but clean will kill you.

Nina used a lot of these priciples when she competed at the Nationals. We just restrict the number of sets for recovery.

Now I`m really confused.........
You say a bit above the chest is a fantasy press so why do boards make it OK?

im not sure belts help much when benching anyway do they? i thought the lifts were good....

Zarkov, they use the boards for improving certain parts of their bench press. when benching normally if you dont touch the chest it doesnt count, what they are doing with the boards isnt a normal bench press

Dave, in no way am I saying they are not good lifts. They certainly are! I guess I have just been reading way to much powerlifting stuff over the last few days.

Given the fact someone at BATB3 pressed 375lbs to the chest with no assisting tools and not to blocks. It makes me wonder what people like that could do with all of this gear.

I thought a belt would help to strengthen the core during the lift with the arching techniques they use.

Dave, in no way am I saying they are not good lifts. They certainly are! I guess I have just been reading way to much powerlifting stuff over the last few days.

Given the fact someone at BATB3 pressed 375lbs to the chest with no assisting tools and not to blocks. It makes me wonder what people like that could do with all of this gear.

I thought a belt would help to strengthen the core during the lift with the arching techniques they use.

my post was probably more directed at noobs, im pretty impressed whenever i see someone lift more than me lol.

can anyone confirm that a belt helps when benching?

Zarkov, they use the boards for improving certain parts of their bench press. when benching normally if you dont touch the chest it doesnt count, what they are doing with the boards isnt a normal bench press

OK please explain a bit more.Sorry if i seem thick but that just contradicts what Markos and ,I think, Josh have said in the past.

what Josh said. think of it as more of a training technique and not someone showing off how much they can lift

OK please explain a bit more.Sorry if i seem thick but that just contradicts what Markos and ,I think, Josh have said in the past.

By utilising this technique, the lifter gets to train at a particular range of the movement instead of a range he’s already strong at.

You see Zarkov; every lifter has a sticking point, a place where he just stalls due to his body's structure. Your sticking point may be 2” from lock out, whilst David’s 5”. So David’s problem is coming out of the bench, when yours is near the lock out. Here it would make sense for you to have a really thick board, where David’s would be fairly thin in comparison.

In a nutshell: it’s eliminating/strengthening the weak link in the chain.

This is Markos's baby, so he may explain it better than me.

Fadi.

Thanks for the explanations.
It just seems a bit weird that when someone does a "fantasy press" we all like to jump on them but put a board there and , WALLAH! it is a legit training techinique.

Zarky, I don't get why you are still refuting it?

The thread is named incorrectly, it should be named - ME Board Pressing. IT IS NOT A BENCH PRESS.

If you don't touch your chest on a Bench Press, it is not a Bench Press.

Zarkos the board pressing is used sparingly for the purpose of overload.

It conditions the muscles and tendons use to a heavier weight than the lifter can use with a properly executed bench press. As fadi says it targets a particular part of the lift in this case the top part (lockout mostly), the less boards the bigger ROM it targets.

At no stage does it replace the proper bench press, it is simply a tool used to supplement the correct exercise and to target specific areas of the lift.

It should be used sparingly and I doubt if more than one or two of the members on this site are are at a stage where it would be useful to incorporate into a workout.

Fadi gave a perfect explanation.

Zarkov, every lifter has a sticking point. For most, they are weakest off the chest, so how do you ever train the top part of the lift if your restricted by the poundage you can use off your chest.

Its an advanced technique best used by more experienced /stronger lifters.

Its not a bench press, its a board press. The wankers at FF call it bench press and dont get in the same postcode as their chest.

Powerlifters bench press AND board press, as well as doing floor press.

Wankers call them all bench press, hence the confusion.

Now heres another reason why powerlifters that lift equipped do them.

The shirts these days provide massive help off the chest, the board is designed to allow a lifter to press from the point where the shirts help diminishes.

Again, this is all for advanced lifters competing with gear.

So you know, the top dogs in the bench press can get an extra 150kg with shirts.

When Nick did a 165kg 4 board press, he didnt put

Bench press 165kg x 1

In his journal. He put

Board press 165kg x 1 (4 boards)

There in lies the difference between a strength athlete and a tosser.