• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Zarky, I don't get why you are still refuting it?

The thread is named incorrectly, it should be named - ME Board Pressing. .

Mate,i am not refuting anything.I believe you.

I`ve just never,ever seen it mentioned here before yet I have seen people talking about the fantasy press and telling every one who does it how wrong it is,which is good,but it has never come up.
I guess I`m trying to say that a lot of people criticize this move before but never mentioned the board press.If I did this without boards would it still be legit?And would people tell me I`m doing it wrong.
"Hey mate,that`s wrong.The bar should just touch your chest"
"I`m doing a board press"
"But you don`t have a board!"

doing board presses, without a board is...well...not really a board press then. I don't plan on doing board presses for quite a while, since it's somethin' for the big boys to use, who can bench in the range of 1.5x their body weight ?

The problem with board pressing without a board is getting a consistent range of motion. With a board your guaranteed to get the right range, but without any boards you would simply be guessing, and the point of the exercise is to use a specific ROM.

thats right and ya load up more weight then u can bench too because of the rom its to all in the thread

Mate,i am not refuting anything.I believe you.

I`ve just never,ever seen it mentioned here before yet I have seen people talking about the fantasy press and telling every one who does it how wrong it is,which is good,but it has never come up.
I guess I`m trying to say that a lot of people criticize this move before but never mentioned the board press.If I did this without boards would it still be legit?And would people tell me I`m doing it wrong.
"Hey mate,that`s wrong.The bar should just touch your chest"
"I`m doing a board press"
"But you don`t have a board!"

I dont think anyone at fitness first is strong enough to even consider using this stuff..

The problem with board pressing without a board is getting a consistent range of motion. With a board your guaranteed to get the right range, but without any boards you would simply be guessing, and the point of the exercise is to use a specific ROM.

I second that. Thanks EnzymeX.

Fadi.

Zarkov, just for your information, we have plenty of 1/4 moves or partial movements in weightlifting as well. They're all designed to strengthen the weakest point in that lifter's lift. Sometimes it could have nothing with strength but pure technique as in recovering from a jerk believe it or not.

How would you practice/drill a jerk recovery move without exhausting yourself in the process? You perform it in a power rack like this:

[youtube]dETFRX7t5vo[/youtube]

And just as Markos would not call a board bench press a bench press but a board press; no weightlifter would call that a jerk, but a jerk recovery instead.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Another reason for the board Zarkov is that in official competition, you bench from a dead stop, the bar pauses on your chest till you get the "press" command. You do the same with the board.

Hard to replicate with the bar hovering in mid air.

Another great use for the boards that havent been mentioned on here is a technique that was used in the 50's by Paul Anderson in the squat.

Select a weight, around 10% more than you can bench press, and do 5 reps in the 4 board press with it. Next week, attempt the same weight in the 3 board press. Use fewer boards each session till you can press it off your chest. This procedure will strengthen your tendons and wrists, help with muscle memory.

Fadi, I like those jerk recovery's, I have to admit I've never seen them before. I get a rack soon, I will have some of my clients try them.

Another reason for the board Zarkov is that in official competition, you bench from a dead stop, the bar pauses on your chest till you get the "press" command.

Markos, I didn't know there was a "press" command during a bench press competition. My respect for those lifters due to this rule has just gone up even more. Thank you for that information.

Fadi, I like those jerk recovery's, I have to admit I've never seen them before. I get a rack soon, I will have some of my clients try them.

Yes Markos, I sure did them. Just the same way I did jerk dips. Do your boys do those? I think Ivan Abadjiev would be raising his eye brows at you and me right now. It would be interesting to see how the weightlifting coaches in Australia have changed their approach since 1986. It was then when Ivan decided to cut all weightlifting lifts to just 5 then 3. C&J, Snatch, and front squats. Or those plus the power clean and power snatch.

Fadi.

Last edited:
That pause on your chest makes your bench VERY low. I was doing it with 95kg the other day. It is a struggle to get anymore though.

The judge will either clap, or yell press, either one. The bar must be motionless and NOT sunken into your chest. You cant rack it till you get the command either.

Pausing on bench is another great way to improve your start, where most have a weakness.

You mean these dudes I see at the gym wearing a belt for tricep push downs are illuminati? Better shut my mouth...