• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Lifting weights is mechanics and you don't have to be a mechanic to lift weights

Does a plumber pick plums?
NO

Does a carpenter lay carpet?
NO

Does a bodybuilder build truck trailers?
I think he does

Does any of this make any sense
NO

Why did I type that?
I was bored and just wanted to be a part of the conversation

You are a beginner if you cant bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg. I dont care what your bodyweight is, get bigger, its why your lifting. Bodyweight is not an excuse.

I posted this up on another forum a year ago. The pissweak pencil neck poindexters all pointed out that it was biased against skinny guys. Crap. If your skinny, eat something. At the time Max weighed 60kg and wasnt remotely close to any of those lifts.

One year later he only has the bench to go, he is only a handful of kg's away. That sounds about right. If you train correctly, you should be able to achieve these goals in a year, regardless of bodyweight. Not many on here lighter than Max was, so no complaints.

The record for achieving all these lifts at PTC from complete beginner was Vocy, he did it in under 3 months from never touching a weight, he weighed 100kg. Benny did it in roughly the same, around 10 weeks.

Now, if your a beginner, here is what you need to do, for between 3-12 months.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

If youve been training for longer than 12 months and cant make ALL those lifts, you've been kidding yourselves, wasting your time on rubbish.

If somebody gave you a pile of ****, and said it was free, would you keep it, simply cause its free? Of course not, you have no use for it.

Just because something is free doesnt mean its useful.

That's a great list there! In my view, I find mixing fitness routines and making changes here and there helps me be focused on the routine and not get bored. One of the main reasons why people find it difficult to continue gymming is because they get bored. And believe me I was one among such people. It took me a lot of motivation to drive down to the gym and lift weights. At first I thought I was lazy, but gradually realized that it was the monotony of the routine that made me wanna cry running on the treadmill.

So, I started bringing a healthy mix of gymming and fitness activities to keep myself engaged.

And guess what, it really helped.

I have been a gym regular for more than 18 months now and I don't wanna stop.

Thank you for the beginner program,

I am getting old(er) and have decided to try and commit to regular gym sessions.

Will give this program a go but have some potentially stupid questions.

How much rest time between sets?

Can I substitute bench press with dumbbell press? (I work out alone and am mindful of the fact i will look like a complete retard when I reach failure on my sets).

I have previously done "normal deadlifts", is it ok to do these in place of SLDL or should i take the time & effort to learn?

I am 37, piss weak build with a gut, and my recovery times seem to be poor not to mention my gains are abysmal.

Is this a factor or do you think I will be fine to do this Mon, Wed, Fri each week?

Thank you again for the program, I look forward to giving it a go.

Thank you for the beginner program,

I am getting old(er) and have decided to try and commit to regular gym sessions.

Will give this program a go but have some potentially stupid questions.

How much rest time between sets?

Can I substitute bench press with dumbbell press? (I work out alone and am mindful of the fact i will look like a complete retard when I reach failure on my sets).

I have previously done "normal deadlifts", is it ok to do these in place of SLDL or should i take the time & effort to learn?

I am 37, piss weak build with a gut, and my recovery times seem to be poor not to mention my gains are abysmal.

Is this a factor or do you think I will be fine to do this Mon, Wed, Fri each week?

Thank you again for the program, I look forward to giving it a go.

Rest as long as you need to hit the reps. 2-3 mins is normal for most. Can reduce this if you want to make it more challenging.
You can substitute dumbells for barbel bench, however you may find weekly progression gets difficult as dumbells usually only go up in 2.5kg increments .
You can substitute normal deadlifts or just learn, either will work.
I ran this program about 4 years ago when I returned to the gym after a long (10+ years) layoff. I am a little older than you and ran this 2 days a week with no issues in terms of recovery. I would think 3 days a week is fine but if you are concerned you could try running it 2 days a week for a couple of months and use the third day to do some conditioning.

You are a beginner if you cant bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg. I dont care what your bodyweight is, get bigger, its why your lifting. Bodyweight is not an excuse.

I posted this up on another forum a year ago. The pissweak pencil neck poindexters all pointed out that it was biased against skinny guys. Crap. If your skinny, eat something. At the time Max weighed 60kg and wasnt remotely close to any of those lifts.

One year later he only has the bench to go, he is only a handful of kg's away. That sounds about right. If you train correctly, you should be able to achieve these goals in a year, regardless of bodyweight. Not many on here lighter than Max was, so no complaints.

The record for achieving all these lifts at PTC from complete beginner was Vocy, he did it in under 3 months from never touching a weight, he weighed 100kg. Benny did it in roughly the same, around 10 weeks.

Now, if your a beginner, here is what you need to do, for between 3-12 months.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

If youve been training for longer than 12 months and cant make ALL those lifts, you've been kidding yourselves, wasting your time on rubbish.

If somebody gave you a pile of ****, and said it was free, would you keep it, simply cause its free? Of course not, you have no use for it.

Just because something is free doesnt mean its useful.

I fully support! Very correct and motivating words!

This could help. Flat Barbell Bench Press, 3 sets of 10. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press, 3 sets of 10. Machine Chest Fly: 3 sets of 10. 50 push-ups for time. ABS (see ABS section at bottom) CARDIO (see CARDIO section below).

Trofim Mate, u don't know what you're talking about. Bodybuilding isn't focused around strength gains it's about building muscle mass. There's several different ways to achieve this. I've been around gyms for 25 years and still learning. I use to bench over 100kgs on the bar wen I was only weighing 80kgs. Now that I'm older I chose to lift lighter weight with extra reps & more focused on quality and my gains are through the roof. Arnie never went real heavy for his weight. It's not a big dick comp bro

Experience the benefits of ZimaFit:

- Hyperpersonalized workout plans for Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, and HIIT protocol, tailored to your goals based on gender (Female - estrogen dominant, Male - testosterone dominant)

- Science-backed dietary plans for optimal nutrition,

- Advanced insights to track your progress

Begin your journey now:

Unlock your full potential for a healthier you!

Last edited by a moderator: