• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I've no problem introducing myself - where is the best place to do so? Also I don't see how I hijacked this thread, it wasn't me that made references to tricep kickbacks, oiling bodybuilders etc.

I've no problem introducing myself - where is the best place to do so? Also I don't see how I hijacked this thread, it wasn't me that made references to tricep kickbacks, oiling bodybuilders etc.

Why are you arguing the point so much? What are you trying to prove? The fact is this is a good program for a "BEGINNER" interested in strength training. It is far better than the millions of programs advocating split body parts for beginners. Those guys stay relatively the same size in the gym and never seem to go anywhere.

Beginners as such should not even worry about 1RM's imo, they should concentrate on building a solid base, which is something this program WILL do for them.

But the author has tied this in with achieving certain 1RM standards, and this program is not the fastest path to achieving those goals.

Your point right there is essentially why this is a good program for beginners. As you said, beginners should never be worried about 1RM's, I agree. Now many of these 5x5 programs are based on 1RM % right? So the programs you are harping on so much about are not ideal for begginers as 1RM's should not be there initial focus.

Before building a solid base of strength (the lifts listed at the start of this thread) you are better off building a good solid base of strength and muscle. You will build more endurance and get more out of working in the 8 rep range than the 5 rep range IMO. 5 Rep ranges come into their own when you have been lifting for some time and built a good base of strength, as to increase any strength your 5 reps or less should be in the region of 85% or more of your 1RM.

If you are a beginner how do you know 1RM? It is best to get onto a good program such as this and lift. After 6 months you could test 1RM, but you should really put at least 1 year of HARD training in before you look at 5 reps or less for strength training.

I also am interested in your lifts.

Why are you arguing the point so much? What are you trying to prove? The fact is this is a good program for a "BEGINNER" interested in strength training. It is far better than the millions of programs advocating split body parts for beginners. Those guys stay relatively the same size in the gym and never seem to go anywhere.

Beginners as such should not even worry about 1RM's imo, they should concentrate on building a solid base, which is something this program WILL do for them.

But the author has tied this in with achieving certain 1RM standards, and this program is not the fastest path to achieving those goals.

Your point right there is essentially why this is a good program for beginners. As you said, beginners should never be worried about 1RM's, I agree. Now many of these 5x5 programs are based on 1RM % right? So the programs you are harping on so much about are not ideal for begginers as 1RM's should not be there initial focus.

Before building a solid base of strength (the lifts listed at the start of this thread) you are better off building a good solid base of strength and muscle. You will build more endurance and get more out of working in the 8 rep range than the 5 rep range IMO. 5 Rep ranges come into their own when you have been lifting for some time and built a good base of strength, as to increase any strength your 5 reps or less should be in the region of 85% or more of your 1RM.

If you are a beginner how do you know 1RM? It is best to get onto a good program such as this and lift. After 6 months you could test 1RM, but you should really put at least 1 year of HARD training in before you look at 5 reps or less for strength training.

I also am interested in your lifts.

1 year of hard training is too long to stay above 5 rep if maximal strength is the goal imo. there should be cycles of various rep and set schemes, as to fully develop the movement and muscle efficiency.
16 weeks imo is enough time for a beginner to become coordinated and experienced enough to try a 1rm or 3rm.

1 year of hard training is too long to stay above 5 rep if maximal strength is the goal imo. there should be cycles of various rep and set schemes, as to fully develop the movement and muscle efficiency.
16 weeks imo is enough time for a beginner to become coordinated and experienced enough to try a 1rm or 3rm.

I just don't see the point in doing 5RM with 60kg on bench and 80kg Deadlift.

I just don't see the point in doing 5RM with 60kg on bench and 80kg Deadlift.

Because they are still weak and need to build a bertter base to start from.

Where better base = bigger muscles to start off with? say sarcoplasmic hypertrophy??:confused:

In the end, we're just all curious. OF COURSE MARKOS' PROGRAM WORKS AND IT DOES WORK WELL!:p We just want to know why! :)

Where better base = bigger muscles to start off with? say sarcoplasmic hypertrophy??:confused:

In the end, we're just all curious. OF COURSE MARKOS' PROGRAM WORKS AND IT DOES WORK WELL!:p We just want to know why! :)

8 is a nice rep. 3x8 is 24reps per exercise. similar to 5x5 =25 but with less intensity. 24 reps is a good volume for beginners. with beginners volume is key.

8 is a nice rep. 3x8 is 24reps per exercise. similar to 5x5 =25 but with less intensity. 24 reps is a good volume for beginners. with beginners volume is key.