• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Debate about sarcasm - split from strength training 101 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadi

But Fadi, this is MY thread, and its called strength training 101.

Why confuse matters with a % of your 20RM, its pointless.

The percentages I mention are what I use to make clients strong.

Check the lifts at BATB or the AUSBB record board, they work, full stop.

Lets keep this one thread on track and talk about strength. Not deadlifting empty bars for one trillion reps, or doing calisthenics for 10 minutes.

This thread, in the powerlifting section, is about strength.

In that case some reciprocation would be in order don't you think Markos?! If you wish to go down sarcasm ally then you'd leave me no choice but to delete your post as I have stated here:http://ausbb.com/rules-information-minor-announcements/9420-one-team-ausbb.html#post72887

I ask you to please read it carefully and if in doubt about anything in it; please don't hesitate to ask for more clarification. Let this be the last time for sarcasm please. Next time won't be tolerated.

Fadi.

i hope sarcasm wont be a reason to delete posts or ban people or the population on this forum will be cut pretty quickly :eek:

im all for a bit of form ettiquette but i just dont find sarcasm to be overly offensive and sarcasm can be easily mis-interpreted.

i hope sarcasm wont be a reason to delete posts or ban people or the population on this forum will be cut pretty quickly :eek:
It's the type of sarcasm that's the issue here, not the 'all in good fun' kind, more the 'c**tish variety' that is on the rise on this forum.

It's the type of sarcasm that's the issue here, not the 'all in good fun' kind, more the 'c**tish variety' that is on the rise on this forum.

thats the thing though, sarcasm can go either way depending on how its interpereted by the individual reading it.

thats the thing though, sarcasm can go either way depending on how its interpereted by the individual reading it.
I think it's dead easy to differentiate between a post like PTCs in this thread and someone just having a joke around.

If you think a post breaks the letter or spirit of any rules we have here, hit the report button to the left,
report.gif
, please don't clutter the thread with debate about whether or not it's badwrongnasty.

Let's make these threads as productive and informative as we can.

If the ban/delete happens, this forum would get worse than ocau

Haha i got banned twice lol...

Its only markos, nothing sinister. If he leaves i can see this forum dying and i will be following.

Last edited:
I think it's dead easy to differentiate between a post like PTCs in this thread and someone just having a joke around.

yeah but i dont think that post was in any way breaking any forum rules, sarcastic yes, offensive? no way. if thats the standard of sarcasm that gets people warned/banned then we're all in the sh it.

edit: someone should probably clean this thread up and get it back on track again

Last edited:
I tend to agree with most of the above sentiments - and if you guys want I can tidy this up so the real subject of "Strength training 101" survives another day.

OK - done.

I don't like deleting posts as a general rule, tends to make people annoyed, so there's a new thread set up now. Maybe having a whole new thread is unnecessary, but I did what I thought was best at the time.

I can only speak for myself here, but I don't think people are going to be banned for non-offensive behaviour. We're all different, that's what makes the forum such an interesting place to hang out.

also i dont think mods should be warning/banning people for sarcasm, i think its the responsibilty of the person the post is directed at to report it to a mod if they are offended. of course there are certain instances where the mods can step in straight away if it looks ugly but as sarcasm can be delivered on so many levels they should use some discretion and wait for a complaint.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of witt which is used in humour for passing a comment, a light poke in the ribs or a cheap show of arrogance towards another. Once stripped down it really is just a general injection of humour within a discussion. If used consistantly it does show the users limited understanding of its value and perhaps other social flaws. In which case, we as a team or group can identify that common user and accept it as just their humour.

In some forms sarcasm in its humour useage is used to easily deflect somone away from feeling bad ie change of topic in a roundabout way.
Which is how i read PTC reply, which i see it as a valid view expressed through a personality traight, the arguement was presented non the less.

To ban people, Delete posts with the use of "Sacasm" is madness. I understand bringing this topic up, in the name of protecting some of our more fragile members, but thats up to those members to bring it to the forum admins so that the decision if Malice or humour was inteded and clarification, apologies, differences may be settled privately. Its not other people or what they may joke about that get me down or break my spirit, Its the negativity from the whole team which sinks into my skin.

After reading this entire thread i get the feeling that this is much more of a knee jerk reaction to something else. But as I said before its the admins jobs to deal with issues of the forums members, not mouth stitching against such a common form of humour or someones way of cushioning an opening to a valid adult argument or point of further discussion.

Text lacks tone of voice, expression of face, and so on. So sarcasm etc is hard to judge. I've seen many a forum brought down into meaningless blather because people were busily looking to find offence in every post, and moderators stomped on everything.

I am happy to see sarcasm, profanity, and abuse as people like. I'm on another forum where that's allowed, and it's the only forum I've ever seen where people actually apologise to each-other. Things are just more straightforward - people can have their arguments, call each-other rude names, then build a bridge and get over it.

It's like how a big stinky pile of manure can fertilise a garden and have it grow beautifully. Strange but there it is.

But lots of people aren't comfortable with the poo you have to turn over to do that. And that's fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.