• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Debate about sarcasm - split from strength training 101 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wait, I forgot to include the requisite smiley to show that I'm not being aggressive :D

It's so easy to misinterpret others by the text that they write...

Im using apart of my reply in a criminology report. Perfectly valid for what i needed. hehe! I IS CLEVER!

Oh wait, I forgot to include the requisite smiley to show that I'm not being aggressive :D

It's so easy to misinterpret others by the text that they write...

Go easy K it was all .. :eek::eek::rolleyes::cool:;):)

MD

I used to just check this forum occasionally (about once a week or so at most I think) and would pretty much just post some sarcasm/trolls for a laugh after reading and posting the stuff I found of interest.

I have noticed over the last 6-8 months people have been getting a lot more wound up and aggressive over it. To top it off other users have adopted an almost elitist attitude with a bit of a superiority complex. But it's only the internet, so meh.

I still read what interests me.

Pie (whatever your name is), I don't see the point in just throwing in some sarcasm/troll remarks as being very beneficial to the forum at all. I think I may have even commented on you saying something before.

I guess the reason some people are getting more wound up is ALOT more users around here are taking their training seriously these days. Things have changes ALOT around here in the last few months and it is all for the positive. I like the direction in which it is going and I find alot of people are pushing themselves and others now, which is great.

I don't blame people for getting annoyed at someone who just reads what they want and then chucks in a pointless comment for laughs of their own. I feel everyone is doing a good job at helping others out and making this place a bit more of a serious place to talk about BB/Training/Strength conditioning etc. etc. We now have some challenges being setup for people to really push themselves, it is all positive.

Now I am not saying there is no place for sarcasm, not at all! I just think you should contribute alot more to the forum than just chiming in with some sarcasm. You can get away with sarcasm if you are contributing to someone's thread or post, not if you are just putting in your 2 cents and not helping out.

I'm not complaining and some joke posts weren't all I was posting. They were easily the minority of my posts.

I think the pushing and helping each other is a good thing for sure.

But I think people need to relax a bit as some things can be misunderstood as a forum is only text. No tone and all.

I have also noticed some people take the attitude that "it's only the internet" with respect to sarcasm and forget about it, where as others get really caught up on it and take it personally.

But don't misconstrue what I am saying. Personally, I'd prefer the value of the knowledge on here at the expense of the sarcasm/trolls/joke posts.

But does there not need to be a balance? it seems like some people don't have that (on both sides of the spectrum). Maybe that balance needs to be found on a different site for them and such don't appreciate it here. I don't know. I was just posting my experience with this forum and a brief - study breaking - thought.

Overall I rate this forum highly. The info, the diaries, it's great. I'd hate to see it ruined by either becoming a small 4chan rip off or going the other way and not having anyone with a bit of character on here. It's always a balancing act.

Apie and Josh, although it appears that you have opposing views it seems that you are mostly in agreement to the value add of the forums as provided by those who commit time and effort in research in order to provide advise. I think that as humans, a lot of us would naturally take it personally if someone came in an essentially mocked something that we believed in, and lets face it, a lot of the stuff we learn and apply to our daily lives qualifies as faith. I'm not going to get religious here but you see where I'm going, if you provide input/feedback to a question and its pertaining to something that you believe in, then someone comes in an trivialises it then you would be expected to to take it personally.

I just think you should contribute alot more to the forum than just chiming in with some sarcasm. You can get away with sarcasm if you are contributing to someone's thread or post, not if you are just putting in your 2 cents and not helping out.

Hey Pie, I just want to clarify that I was not meaning that directly at you. Not at all. I was saying it as a forum member. I know you contribute alot around here as well mate.

Holy ****, I just found this thread. WTF is happening. I love sarcasm.

Now, that post that Fadi has up of mine HAS ZERO SARCASM, I was serious as a heart attack.

I think Fadis advice was absolute crap, so I said so. Isnt that allowed. Is this Fadi's forum now. Is Fadi going to explode another myth. Maybe I should start referring to myself as a 3rd person.....but Markos doesnt do that, Markos dont roll like that, Markos doesnt think that everything Fadi says is Gospel, Markos will speak his mind, but Markos will always help someone trhat genuinely wants to improve.
'
Fadi, I have been a moderator on another lifting site for 5 years, I've never warned anyone. Your not that important Fadi, either is Markos.

Why the f**k would you start this thread and have a go at me. Did Markos dispel a Fadi theory.

Grow up Fadi, are you so used to everybody nodding approval at you every time you open your mouth.

Some might disagree with you. Markos disagrees with you.

Is that alright, or are you going to ban Markos.

Holy ****, I just found this thread. WTF is happening. I love sarcasm.

Now, that post that Fadi has up of mine HAS ZERO SARCASM, I was serious as a heart attack.

I think Fadis advice was absolute crap, so I said so. Isnt that allowed. Is this Fadi's forum now. Is Fadi going to explode another myth. Maybe I should start referring to myself as a 3rd person.....but Markos doesnt do that, Markos dont roll like that, Markos doesnt think that everything Fadi says is Gospel, Markos will speak his mind, but Markos will always help someone trhat genuinely wants to improve.
'
Fadi, I have been a moderator on another lifting site for 5 years, I've never warned anyone. Your not that important Fadi, either is Markos.

Why the f**k would you start this thread and have a go at me. Did Markos dispel a Fadi theory.

Grow up Fadi, are you so used to everybody nodding approval at you every time you open your mouth.

Some might disagree with you. Markos disagrees with you.

Is that alright, or are you going to ban Markos.

Gosh, I thought we've moved on now; what happened? What makes you think I started this thread Markos? What, you're blowing your top again I see, without any provocation I might add. Calm down mate, no one is coming near you and no one is being aggressive towards you. It's like you're having a monologue there mate...:D:)!

Markos, I've never claimed to be special, a Mr. Know it all, or anything of the kind. If that's the way I come across to you, then I'm sorry you see me in that light.

Fadi.

What makes me think you started the thread?

Are you taking the piss?

Yours is the first post, with my post inserted.

pretty sure Katie did some moderating and split the first few posts from the other thread then started this one with Fadis post first lol

Hyjak is absolutely right... I'm extremely sorry if this wasn't clear. From now on, I might edit the top post to emphasise it has been split from a thread (except it's in the title already, so I thought people would realise).

jeez.... im thinking this forum is full of whingers.. people just gotta relax. its a forum be prepared for ppl to speak there mind thats what these are for. everyone needs to drink a cup of cement to harden up a bit.

Sorry Fadi.....I'm stunned that one post created a whole thread, I assumed you started it as your name appeared next to my comments.

Strange forum. Very strange forum.

I feel like I'm living in Pleasantville.

I think people were defending you Markos, hence the reason for this thread going on and on!

I can close it now if you want, seems like we all agree it's ok to be sarcastic at times if we're not being offensive about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.