• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Both the Concentric and Eccentric builds the lat. Don't get caught up in that though, just lift heavy! Pull Ups and Deadlifts would be the two I would be doing. If you want a third, then I would add in Rows.

Last edited:
I seem to get more benefit from close grip pulldowns.
The biceps seem to do more work the wider the grip. That's me anyway. I have long levers.

Gotta take the Arms out (flame on you flaggots). Use the Arms as JUST levers. Lats were my best bodypart for years and all I ever did was Wide Grip Pull Ups and Barbell Rows, trying to focus on the Lats and take the Arms out.

Gotta take the Arms out (flame on you flaggots). Use the Arms as JUST levers. Lats were my best bodypart for years and all I ever did was Wide Grip Pull Ups and Barbell Rows, trying to focus on the Lats and take the Arms out.
Bio-mechanics won't allow it.

Bio-mechanics won't allow it.

Talk to the Hand Sister!

All I ever did for years were Pull Ups and Barbell Rows being sure to take the Arms out as much as possible and Lats were my best bodypart to the point I felt self conscious about their size.

I've always felt people who build big Arms were all show and no go - Arms as levers muthafarkers!!! You don't punch with you're Arms (you use your whole Body). Same as you shouldn't Pull Up or Row with your Arms but rather your Lats, as much as possible.

Last edited:
I seem to get more benefit from close grip pulldowns.
The biceps seem to do more work the wider the grip. That's me anyway. I have long levers.

The kicker or irony here is; if you where able to isolate the biceps to then be able measure the strength ( in foot-pounds) in an isometric manner at various degrees of ROM you’d find (and I would not be surprised) that your strength would be in the very high percentage only because your arms and cruel leverages is required to work extra hard to move you from a to b.

does this help at all?
Not really bit will or could help you avoid certain exercises, and in the case of an older trainee that has been plugging away for years could find that chinning in the true sense could just as easily replaced with something as simple as hanging from a bar an shrugging to strengthen vital areas of the shoulders

I've always felt stronger in my back than my chest. Love Bent Over Barbell Rows and 1 Arm Dumbell Rows and T-Bar Rows for free weight back exercises. For machines cable rows, lat pulldowns and hammer strength rows. Lots of different row type machines out there that all essentially do the same thing, they just have slightly different arm and grip positioning etc, different adjustments too.

Talk to the Hand Sister!

All I ever did for years were Pull Ups and Barbell Rows being sure to take the Arms out as much as possible and Lats were my best bodypart to the point I felt self conscious about their size.

I've always felt people who build big Arms were all show and no go - Arms as levers muthafarkers!!! You don't punch with you're Arms (you use your whole Body). Same as you shouldn't Pull Up or Row with your Arms but rather your Lats, as much as possible.

Eitherway the arms are going to fatigue long before the lats and that is a fact.

people that have big arms are big in spite of exercise choice, we tend to compare ourselves all the time.

have a look At Sergio Olivia’s arms, long, long muscle belly the bicep and tricep that disappears into the forearm almost no tendon he hasn’t the peak of bicep like the body builder, his arm is the same height of his face.

Eitherway the arms are going to fatigue long before the lats and that is a fact.

Dats why you need to focus on working the Lats over the Arms as much as possible, when doing Lat work.

I'm not overly concerned anyway because my lats are well proportioned and rather well developed.
Need more arm and shoulder. :(

If your working biceps on the same day as lats then you can hit them both. Chin Ups with under-arm grip give an awesome bicep workout.