• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength training 101

Max isnt the exception.

Alen - squat PB - 165kg - 140kg x 12 - Thats 85% of 1RM

Dim - squat PB - 120kg - 105kg x 10 - Thats 88% of 1RM

Ryan - squat PB - 145kg - 120kg x 20 - Thats 83% of 1RM

I could keep going. I train the lifters at PTC to be STRONG. At 85%, we are not doing 2-4 reps, closer to 10. Our low rep work is done at 90-95%.

The rule of getting stronger is adaption. The quicker the body adapts, we move on.

Imagine if these guys simply did 2-4 reps at 85% of their 1RM, they would be as weak as piss, they would be lifting at less than 30% of their ability.

Anyway, food for thought. They also have the advantage of someone watching over their session and pushing them, plus a stack of stronger guys around.

Dave and Ryan squatted 120 and 125kg x 20 today, would make you feel pretty good in any gym, then Nick squats 150kg x 21.

Dont you hate it when reality smacks you right between the eyes. Nick and Dave only weigh 3kg apart.

PTC & Fadi, I'd love what you have to say about prilepin's table?

To me it makes a lot of sense, the right rep ranges within the right %'s. I saw Markos that you highly encourage 85% + work so you probably see a good bit of merit in the table

Hi PowerBuilder,

That table reflects how Olympic weightlifters world wide train. Please remember that high reps of 20 or so in weightlifting were not the norm when I was weightlifting; maybe things have changed since those days I don't know.

But as I've already stated few posts back now, you can always find your RM in a particular rep range by actually doing it.

Fadi.

I agree 100%. As Fadi has quite often stated, Weightlifters dont miss lifts in training due to weight, only technique. This program is perfect for weightlifting. Thats its intended use, to drill technique.

I cant see where it fits into your powerlifting Powerbuilder.

I agree 100%. As Fadi has quite often stated, Weightlifters dont miss lifts in training due to weight, only technique. This program is perfect for weightlifting. Thats its intended use, to drill technique.

I cant see where it fits into your powerlifting Powerbuilder.

I tell you what Markos; we could have done with some kick arse 20 reps back in the 80s. Fitness, as I wrote in my cardio and weight article should never be separated from strength/power; just modified accordingly.

I wonder if weightlifting coaches have changed in their approach since those early years; where fitness was only an introductory phase to the year ahead?

Fadi.

Talking to Nick, who is trained by your friend Robert Kabbas, it doesnt appear to be in Australia. Its the same old stuff.

America dominated weightlifting in the 50's, 60's and half way through the 70's doing the same old thing. Then the Russians changed the face by adding lots of variations to their training, and they lifted more than 3 times a week. After them came the Bulgarians, 3 times a day lifting every day.

Americans have to work, they cant lift, eat, rest, lift, eat, rest, lift, eat , sleep every day. The Eastern Block countries could. America hasnt won a medal at Olympics or World Championships for over 20 years.

The Chinese are now leading the way. I dont think the Australians or Americans will ever be a power, or even a mildly interesting player, in the world of Olympic lifting.

I went over Nicks training program, it looks like something Hoffman had the yanks doing in 1956. It worked then and built some strong guys, so it will work now.

But where are our next champions, and Americas, going to come from?

Louie Simmonds has some interesting training ideas for the US weightlifting team, he has kept America at the top of the heap in powerlifting, by implementing Russian weightlifting ideals into powerlifting.

Sadly here in Australia, we are going to have to get used to only having one male and one female go to the Olympics every year as long as the current Team Based system is employed, and our lifters will always lift in the B section.

If as much effort was put into weightlifting as is put into swimming, I have no doubt we could produce elite lifters.

Will never happen.

Talking to Nick, who is trained by your friend Robert Kabbas, it doesnt appear to be in Australia. Its the same old stuff.

America dominated weightlifting in the 50's, 60's and half way through the 70's doing the same old thing. Then the Russians changed the face by adding lots of variations to their training, and they lifted more than 3 times a week. After them came the Bulgarians, 3 times a day lifting every day.

Americans have to work, they cant lift, eat, rest, lift, eat, rest, lift, eat , sleep every day. The Eastern Block countries could. America hasnt won a medal at Olympics or World Championships for over 20 years.

The Chinese are now leading the way. I dont think the Australians or Americans will ever be a power, or even a mildly interesting player, in the world of Olympic lifting.

I went over Nicks training program, it looks like something Hoffman had the yanks doing in 1956. It worked then and built some strong guys, so it will work now.

But where are our next champions, and Americas, going to come from?

Louie Simmonds has some interesting training ideas for the US weightlifting team, he has kept America at the top of the heap in powerlifting, by implementing Russian weightlifting ideals into powerlifting.

Sadly here in Australia, we are going to have to get used to only having one male and one female go to the Olympics every year as long as the current Team Based system is employed, and our lifters will always lift in the B section.

If as much effort was put into weightlifting as is put into swimming, I have no doubt we could produce elite lifters.

Will never happen.

Thank you very much for your words there Markos. I've always said and still do, if you want to get super strong; then up your frequency. The well thought out percentages would take care of the rest.

Again, much appreciated Markos.

Fadi.