• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Struggling with overhead press

Uh-oh, now Markos is doing riddles, too. What has Fadi started? :cool:

No riddles from me Kyle. I simply asked xassius to do a 1RM for me so he can follow a program based on it. When I wanted to get strong in military press; I did military press. Nothing fancy really. Others have their ways and I respect that. It's never been my way or the highway; everyone here knows that.

Fadi.

But Fadi, he has told us he IS doing MP, with the same weight for a long time, its not working. He simply needs to get stronger. Doing the same weight for a month without progress is a key indicator that he is not strong enough. Continuing to do the same exercise, regardless of the reps, wont work, unless of course he gets stronger.

Its weight lifting, not nuclear fission.

lift more weight

So if i LIFT 40kg...then i'd only be able to get 2 reps in (let's just say 2 reps). right? so that'll make me stronger? what if im stuck at 40kg for 2 reps for ages...again? up the weight so i can only do singles? :S

So if i LIFT 40kg...then i'd only be able to get 2 reps in (let's just say 2 reps). right? so that'll make me stronger? what if im stuck at 40kg for 2 reps for ages...again? up the weight so i can only do singles? :S

I lifted 180kg deadlift on saturday..

Thursday i almost got 200 and i did not dealdift trianing in between.. I just got stronger from that 180 dead..

But Fadi, he has told us he IS doing MP, with the same weight for a long time, its not working. He simply needs to get stronger. Doing the same weight for a month without progress is a key indicator that he is not strong enough. Continuing to do the same exercise, regardless of the reps, wont work, unless of course he gets stronger.

Its weight lifting, not nuclear fission.

Markos, if in your professional opinion he needs to do one arm d/bell presses or other exercises to improve his MP, then by all means go ahead with it. I'm not disagreeing with your ways, I've already stated:
Others have their ways and I respect that. It's never been my way or the highway
Two very straight forward sentences that are easy to understand; not nuclear fission.

Fadi.

xassius, why would you ever begin a program like 5 x 5 before you could even squat 100kg. You have tried to run before you could walk.

Everybody needs to spend time under a bar doing straight forward full body workouts, doing reps in the 8-20 range, as Fadi has alluded, to build neural pathways.

Most novices dont have the ability to generate enough force to do such low reps, its an actual skill.

Its why you are floundering in a dreadful program for YOUR level.

Squat 3 x 12
bench press 3 x 8
bent row 3 x 8
military press 3 x 8
sldl 3 x 15
bb curl 2 x 8

Thats all you need. Its what I started on. Its what EVERYONE used to start on in the 70's and 80's.

Struggling to MP 37.5kg is an indication your doing the wrong thing. You obviously realised this, so you asked.

You said your form suffered with squats when you increased the weight. You have spent no time actually getting strong, a light weight is causing you to lose form, because you havent paid your dues.

Do that full body 3 times a week workout for 6 months, then come back and tell us about your adventure.

Doing singles with such ridiculously light weights is a waste of time. Do singles in 6 months with 70kg, not 40kg.

If I was allowed to I would link you up to a newsletter titled Physical Culture. Learn a little about the history of lifting, before everyone on the internet was an expert (including me).

Do a beginners program first, trust me, your a beginner, as we all were once. Whats the rush?

Squat 3 x 12
bench press 3 x 8
bent row 3 x 8
military press 3 x 8
sldl 3 x 15
bb curl 2 x 8

Thats all you need. Its what I started on. Its what EVERYONE used to start on in the 70's and 80's.

Do that full body 3 times a week workout for 6 months, then come back and tell us about your adventure.

Do a beginners program first, trust me, your a beginner, as we all were once. Whats the rush?

Xassius,

Markos has given you a very sound advice; please take it and run.

Fadi.

Ok. There's my new program :) Thanks PTC.

Just wondering with the SLDL though. Never done one (as opposed to a normal deadlift)... why SL?

Stiff-legged deadlift. Something for you to look up on youtube and exrx.net. Very hard!

Edit - stiff, not straight.

What? Get your minds out of the gutter.

Last edited:
The MP is easily the most difficult of exercises to improve on. Most that use a basic 5 x 5 program as you are will hit a wall, as you have found.
I'm an example, I started lifting in april on a 5x5 program, squats and deadlift went up fast and never stalled, but MP stalled at 40 and benchpress stalled at 50 for a long time. I think that as I didn't know better and just kept attempting both at lighter weights (never more) that it plateaued.

Last edited:
^^^

I also notice (because i dont do alot of bench and not as much mp as i should) when Lifts skyrocket oyu focus on them because you are so happy to be achieving.. My bent rows, MP and cleans have not improved in a long time. Problem is i dont focus on them like i do squats and deadlifts.. I would dead over bench anyday...

I think like alot of already said focus on your weaknesses..

Not straight leg, its stiff leg, the knees remain unlocked. Never lock your knees.

Mid shin to mid thigh, dont touch the ground, dont lock out