• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Are you going for special forces entry? That's one of the requirements for Commandos and airfield defense guards.

Good work btw

Are you going for special forces entry? That's one of the requirements for Commandos and airfield defense guards.

Good work btw

No way. Commandos would be the first to die!

I want to go into the RAAF as a pilot or air combat officer or air traffic controller.

No way. Commandos would be the first to die!

I want to go into the RAAF as a pilot or air combat officer or air traffic controller.

Not sure if Im mistaken, but I was under the impression that commandos and SAS were used more in sabotage and reconnaissance missions. They cost too much and take too long to train to send in on risky missions. The guy I know in the army (in 4RAR commando regiment) told me that they sus the place out, report it to headquarters and wait for them to send in the infantry, artillery or airstrike. They only shoot it out if they get seen by the enemy or they have a good ambush setup, but in Afganistan and Iraq its the Taliban and the Iraqi insurgents that have the upper hand in ambushes. That what he told me anywayz.

Im sure the Airforces' airfield defence guards have the same fitness entry requirements as the commandos, they are not airmen or pilots. They have to secure an area with a 5km perimiter against snipers, ambush/suprise attacks etc against trained infantry. They would need to be at a good fitness level to stand a chance, way above the general entry standards for the standard Airforce entry (that's more of a joke than the police recuitment standards.)

Yeah the Airfield Defence Guards and Airfield Defence Officers have additional fitness requirements.

They have an enlistment fitness of:

• Push-Ups: 15;
  • Sit-Ups: 45; and
  • Shuttle Run: 7.5.
All other members of the RAAF is just a Shuttle Run of 6.5

Not sure if Im mistaken, but I was under the impression that commandos and SAS were used more in sabotage and reconnaissance missions. They cost too much and take too long to train to send in on risky missions. The guy I know in the army (in 4RAR commando regiment) told me that they sus the place out, report it to headquarters and wait for them to send in the infantry, artillery or airstrike.
That is indeed the theory.

However, in practice the government is worried about casualties, especially if those casualties come about as the result of someone's fck-up. If regular infantry are killed then it's all over the papers, interviews with the families and journos wanting to know exactly what happened. If it's special forces, it's all hush-hush and wasn't he brave and sorry we can't tell you the details but look he got a posthumous medal.

Thus, the infantry stay on base training Afghans while the commandos and sassies wander all over the countryside getting brassed up. Sometimes the jundies have a go at them anyway but it's not so common.
LJ said:
Yeah the Airfield Defence Guards and Airfield Defence Officers have additional fitness requirements.

They have an enlistment fitness of:

Push-Ups: 15;
Sit-Ups: 45; and
Shuttle Run: 7.5.
All other members of the RAAF is just a Shuttle Run of 6.5
These are not strenuous requirements ;) It's as I said before, the fitness to get in is piss-easy, the fitness to not have a lot of stress and hassle during the courses is quite a bit higher.

A derogatory rhyming nickname for a religious fundamentalist who takes up arms against someone, eg "fundie jundie".

I have not squated or deadlifted for over a week and my times have gotten better. I am now 13mins 15secs for 2.4km on the treadmill. I believe the squats were straining my muscles needed for running and causing me to under perform.

use google maps to plan out a 2.4k track and run it on the road dude. its heaps better training on the road than on a tread mill. your running style should be more natural on road aswell... dont forget to lean into your strides and run on your toes and not from heel to toe contact... it will kill your calves but you will get used to it quickly and it gives you alot more pace with less effort as your propelling yourself further.
i was running 21km's in 2 hours and 10 mins about 5 months ago... since i have been following a weight lifting program and i went for a 7k run on thursday night i definately feel like a lump...... needless to say i cant do much about my long distance anymore untill i atleast reach my lift goals... then maby a bit more running.... no more 21ks tho lol

use google maps to plan out a 2.4k track and run it on the road dude. its heaps better training on the road than on a tread mill. your running style should be more natural on road aswell... dont forget to lean into your strides and run on your toes and not from heel to toe contact... it will kill your calves but you will get used to it quickly and it gives you alot more pace with less effort as your propelling yourself further.
i was running 21km's in 2 hours and 10 mins about 5 months ago... since i have been following a weight lifting program and i went for a 7k run on thursday night i definately feel like a lump...... needless to say i cant do much about my long distance anymore untill i atleast reach my lift goals... then maby a bit more running.... no more 21ks tho lol

Thanks for the input. I also changed my running style as well to what you suggested and am finding it a lot easier. However my calves were really paining after the first few sessions. I am basing my running style off the below link.

http://ausbb.com/running-walking-jogging/10068-evolution-running-system.html

Ah, I would have shown you that about six months ago, LJ ;)

The forces entry training I've given has three phases. That's part of phase 2.

Glad you're on the way to achieving your goals.

Ah, I would have shown you that about six months ago, LJ ;)

The forces entry training I've given has three phases. That's part of phase 2.

Glad you're on the way to achieving your goals.

Thanks Kyle. I need to do it in 13 mins to meet basic training for my age. Would like to do it in 12 mins, this is for 18 to 24year olds.

In early November I did it in 12'15".

You can do it in 11'00" ;)

Oh and don't go by the treadmill. The treadmill is to a track run what machines are to free weights. Not useless, but not the same thing, and in raw numbers you'll perform much better on one and have a harder time on the other.

You just have to pound the pavement, ain't no way around it, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
A RAAF Officer told me I should aim to do it in 10mins. :D Don't think thats going to happen!

You'd be surprised what you can do when pushed.

11'00" is a fair goal for a young bloke with no medical issues.

Results I have seen in working with people going to enter the forces, the five so far, only one got under 12'00" at first, a week before the test he got 9'48", took him 13 weeks of training - he could have done better but he loves his beer and fish and chips, crap nutrition. The worst was 19'15", after 8 weeks he was 12'56", only just squeezed out 7.5 on the beep test, but this was the guy who was in the beginning about 15kg overweight, and so unfit during one session I thought he had undiagnosed asthma and we grabbed a taxi to the doctor.

I give them a 4kg dumbell to carry to simulate the rifle, and a rehydration pack with 3lt water to simulate the webbing and other crap they'd have to carry for the 2.4km run during recruit course.

Anyway, train or be trained properly and you'll make the times easily.

i try and do a couple of 4 km fun runs a year. the only time i ever run for training run is 4 weeks out and then i do approximately 3 - 4 sessions a week over approximately that difference.

the last one i did (and only event one really) was the mothers day classic and i did it in 18 minutes and 10 seconds and that was when i was still smoking.

for the training i picked a couple of street courses about the same distance - the first 2 sessions i walk at a fast pace but sprint across intersecting streets + 20 m past. The next 2 sessions i do the same but as far as i can sprint past. THe next two i run from the start as far as i can at a quick pace (not sprinting). catch my breath whilst walking and then jog home once i have my breathing under control. by the next session i've always been able to run the whole distance even if my run has slowed down a fair bit.

Now not smoking and I'll give myself 6 weeks for training i'm hoping to get close to 15 minutes for the 4 kms. I don't know much about running but if you're trying to increase your time a fair bit why not try some sprint and interval work (on the road)?