• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Because he is not training to improve his muscular strength as such, he is training so that he will be able to cruise through the physical aspects of Recruit Course. And you train as you'll work. Nobody will put a barbell on his shoulders during Recruit Course, they'll ask him to drop and give them 50, or climb a rope, etc.

If he can squat 3x 10x 30kg then he should be able to do 20 bodyweight squats in one go. However, beyond about 20 reps of bodyweight stuff it's not strength really but more endurance. On Recruit Course, his endurance will be pushed to the limits far more often than his strength will be. Recruits do 200-600 pushups in a day on average throughout those weeks. He could bench his bodyweight and still have trouble with that, because muscular strength and endurance are different things.

Train as you'll work. I wouldn't join a gym at all to prepare for the military. I'd be out in parks and along roads training. "But what if it rains?" Trust me, PTIs won't cancel runs and pushups because it's raining.

Not all at once :)

Your hours will be 0600 to 2230, that is you have a 16 hour day every minute of which is scheduled and accounted for. You may get excited when you hear of an hour or so of "personal maintenance" time in each evening, however that will be taken up with things like ironing, repairing uniforms, polishing boots and brass, etc. There's every chance you'll have a letter from your girlfriend or mum in your pocket that's still unread after a week, or if read not replied to - by the time you have time you just want to lie down and sleep, and anyway what will you say? There's both everything and nothing to tell them.

During a 16 hour day you can easily do hundreds of pushups. If you can do 20, well 20 in each hour over the 16 hours, there you go that's 320. Usually there are few after dinner, though, they happen mostly during the day. It's generally 20 a time for punishment in the first week, then 30 in the next, then 40 after that, and then 50 for a couple of weeks. Once everyone can knock out 50 without trouble, they drop it down to about 30 for maintenance.

You don't get situps for punishment as it messes up the uniform too much. So the PTIs will make up for it in the PT sessions, along with jumping jacks and burpees and all the rest.

Again, I can prepare you for this. I'd suggest a weekly visit to the city for a casual jaunt around the park.

Aah, thanks for yet another insight into the army! Gee - good luck LJ, glad it's you doing it and not me! :)

Well I just did 100 squats, 20 pushups just and only 33 sit-ups (disappointed in myself for this).

Chin-ups and VO2 max at the gym today.

Kyle I'm up for a session in the city with you if the offer is still open. I couldnt do the VO2 max as it said I need a HR belt????

It said that? Most decent treadmills have heart rate sensors in the handles, you must have a cheap crappy one.

Fire me an email and we'll sort something out, see PM.

For the fit test on the treadmill, you choose a walking speed, 4.0-6.0km/hr.

All treadmills stop measuring heart rate at 8.0km/hr because people are running at that speed and it'd be dangerous to hold on. Some measure at 6.1-7.9km/hr, but not all.

So you can do the test at 6.0km/hr, that's a quick walk for most people.

Like I said, fire me an email and we'll sort something out.

Kyle got 48.7 on the fit test. Tried to do some chin-ups and I failed big time. Only managed 1. Oh my God.

LJ,

See if you can do 100 burpees in 12 minutes. Break it up into as many sets, reps, and resting intervals. Have you not seen the 100 burpees challenge we've got here on the forum? Go for it; I'm betting it'll be harder than your 2.4km run. Give it a go and let us know how you go. If you can crack the 12 minutes,then I'd say you've got your 2.4km run covered.

It took me 15:52 seconds the first time I did it. I'm sure you can kick my butt with such a lousy time. Go for it mate.

Fadi.

Kyle got 48.7 on the fit test. Tried to do some chin-ups and I failed big time. Only managed 1. Oh my God.
That's a good level for your VO2 max. Now you must develop your ability to sustain that maximum oxygen input for a long time.

Send me an email and we'll organise something.

good insight into army life ive just appiled and i have a interview in coming weeks, im a tradey so i applied for metal smith, combat engineer and commando of course, thanks for the info Kyle i have been meaning to ask u a few things..

I have never been in the Army, but I played football at a pretty high level 30 years ago lol

Anyway, I had a flat course I would run, it was 3.2km ( 2 miles ) and I managed to get my time down to 11 minutes flat. I weighed 72kg, and my training was very scientific lol

I would do that run 3 times a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner time. Every day. I would try and beat my time every single time.

I now know I could have achieved the same result with smarter training, but in the end, I got an okay result for a guy that dislikes running.

So my messge to you is, put in the effort, the results will come.

Markos is right.

If you put in enough effort, you'll get results. Some efforts will get you more for less or less for more, but in the end if you just get out there and run, you'll get fitter. Takes a lot of willpower, though. I offered to help... :)

I did well today. I ran at 10km/h for around 10mins which is good for me. I was on a roll to beat my best time, 2.4kms in 15mins 42s but the treadmill overloaded and stopped. I even increased my pace to 14km/h at the end.

I really need to get out on the road as I have heard the treadmill is a lot easier.

My shin splints have gone. I believe my squatting was out and instead of driving through my heels I was driving through my toes which added load to the muscles around my shins. I have corrected my form, rested from the treadmill for over a week and I mentally relax my muscles when I run and the shin splints have thankfully not returned.

Anyway, I had a flat course I would run, it was 3.2km ( 2 miles ) and I managed to get my time down to 11 minutes flat.

I really admire you for being able to do this. People who can run, and run the distance and do it quick, I really have to take my hat off to, because I am finding it very hard. The hope I have is that after around 1 month I have improved dramatically so I am hoping to continue to improve. But 3.2km in 11mins seems so far away for me now. :)

It seems further for me lol

I was 17, I'm now 47, I'd need a car to get that time now, I may have run 5 times since I played football, but all 5 girls got away lol