• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

10-15kg possible by january?

Your diet writeup is useless because we dont know serving size or protein/carb/fat breakdown. Add that.

Your workout is also a waste of time. Do a full body workout 3 times a week like the one I suggested.

well yeah as i said i dont take down serving size or protein/carb/fat etc etc i guess i should start

thought it was better to do 2 muscle groups a day then a different muscle group the next, thanks for the sugestion...

i know of still got alot of learning to do, thanks for the time and patience

You need to do legs more often. As Nick said, do all compound movements and your full body in every session.

Voice of experience not good enough for you? I would listen to a guy heaps bigger and stronger than me. But if you like, let's have a look at science instead.

"Exercises stressing multiple or large muscle groups have shown the greatest acute metabolic responses. For example, exercises such as the squat, leg press, leg extension, and bent-over row have been shown to elicit greater rates of oxygen consumption than exercises such as the behind-the-neck shoulder press, bench press, upright row, and arm curl. In addition, these exercises have elicited the greatest acute hormonal responses. Deadlifts, squat jumps, and Olympic lifts have produced greater acute 22-kDa growth hormone and testosterone responses compared with exercises such as the bench press and seated shoulder press.

"[...] We have shown the importance of the total-body resistance training (as opposed to upper-body-only training) in women [and men] for improving overall muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, and physical performance.

"[...] Considering that multiple-joint exercises have been shown to increase muscular strength, hypertrophy, and power, maximizing performance of these exercises may be necessary for optimal gains."​
Put in plain English, big compound lifts make you bigger and stronger the fastest, and doing squats, leg press and the like will actually help to make your chest and arms bigger.

ok so i should drop the program im currently doing and do the below 3x a week instead?

i should also add that i have had a pretty bad injury to my left knee and have only been walking again for the last 4 weeks and have been not walking for almost the past 3 before that

Squats - 1x20, 1x15
Military Press - 3x10
Stiff Leg Deadlifts - 3x15
Bent Rows - 3x10
Bench Press - 3x10
Dips - 3x10

If you have or are recovering from an injury, talk to your physiotherapist before lifting even a little pink dumbell, mate. A physio can advise on if it's the time to return to exercise, and if so what exercises will best help you recover your injury, and/or work around it.

That is a good routine for a medically healthy person. I would substitute regular deadlifts for the stiff-legged ones, but that's because as someone with back troubles I am more than usually cautious about people's backs.

Talk to your physio.

I know everyone has to start somewhere, but geez. This hurts to read.

I remember having a class in year 10 called pd/h/pe (personal development/ health/ physical exercise). Part of this class was weights training to educate you in the area of exercises, diets, drugs etc.

Does this class not exist anymore?

We all have something to learn, mate. And some of us have things to unlearn, too, since the classes at school are not the only place we were taught things.

Something that might Help

Down this road, in a gym far away,
a young man was heard to say,
"no matter what i do, my legs won't grow"
he tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses , too
trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do.

from the corner of the gym where the big men train,
through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain
where the noise is made with big forty fives,
a deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees.
a very big man with legs like trees.

laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack
chalking his hands and monstrous back,
said, "boy, stop lying and don't say you've forgotten,
the trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN'. "

I know everyone has to start somewhere, but geez. This hurts to read.

I remember having a class in year 10 called pd/h/pe (personal development/ health/ physical exercise). Part of this class was weights training to educate you in the area of exercises, diets, drugs etc.

Does this class not exist anymore?

sorry were not all gym experts, talk to me about a subject i no heaps about and i bet ill make u look like uve got no idea...

why dont u point out exactly whats wrong with what im asking

if u dont have anything helpfull to say why waste ur time

I already said my helpful thing: go to your physio! They know what is good for you and your injury, we don't. Our knowledge is limited to general advice only.

Knowing the limits of your knowledge is the beginning of wisdom, so they say ;)

ive alreaddy contacted my phsio about this, thanks heaps for ur helpfull advise kyle

It's pretty simple man, you need to eat more, ALOT more. I don't know portion sizes or any other breakdowns of your diet, but I am sure it is NOT ENOUGH. You need to be eating a much larger breakfast, a protein shake won't cut it. I never have a protein shake by itself except for after a workout, and I usually eat about 20 mins after that anyway.

Here is a good start to the day -

2 cups full cream milk
1.5 scoops whey protein
100g oats
1 banana
1 tblsp honey

~1000 cals, 80g protein, can't remember carbs and fats right now for some reason. Add berries or other fruit to taste.

Scrap your routine as well and do what has been advised, I wish someone gave me this advice when I started because i would be much further along.

yeah im open to advise, and i understand the eating more thing, i pretty much have to double what i eat now,,,

whats not exactly clear to me is the type of program i should be doing now that people have advised me what im doing will not benifit me as much

Trust me, it may be hard to get your head around. But you WILL work yourself harder with the compounds program, I did one for the first time tonight. No shit after 1.5 years of lifting I have never done something as hard.

I've seen that poem before Aussieballer, cant quite put my finger on it though lol

Welcome aboard Sean

Hospital Grade Sustagen or a bodybuilding stack powder that has heaps of calories.

Nah, supps are not needed when you can eat good quality food that is much cheaper and better for you than supps.

That poem is actually stuck up on the wall next to the squat rack at the gym i go to