• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to jump higher?

upg

I have started to play sport again and feel im not able to jump as high as i used to. i play mixed indoor beach volleyball and aussie rules football occasionally. i feel i cant jump as high due to my increased weight and inactivity.
anyone got any good tips to increase my vertical jump?

cheers

Last edited:
Markos (PTC) is really the one to answer this, he does a lot of work with people playing recreational sports.

However, I can say that in January I was 83.6kg and now 78 or so, and that in the meantime I've done some squats - not even very big weights, as you can see from the sig. And in that time my vertical jump has gone from I think 43 to 48cm. Losing some (fat) weight and doing some leg work has made a difference.

I'm sure deadlifting, powercleans, sprints and so on would also make a big difference, but I'm not experienced in that as it's not something I've ever tried to train for.

I don't know the exact methods, but there are heaps of effective programs you can find when you do a google search. There are certain exercises to do which will give you a great increase in 6 - 12 weeks.

I tested mine the other day because there was a special measuring tool for vertical leap at the gym.
I got 30 inches/76cm at 183cm tall and 85kg, but it's not something I'll be training for.

I would love to know this too as I play competitive mixed basketball... and being a shorty (1.64m) girl, it would be nice to actually annoy the tall guys as they're taking a shot, rather than making waving motions around their chins :)

Had my vertical jump tested too, 43 cm. Hulk - 76cm is awesome stuff! You should play bball :)

Plyometric stuff is good eg. squat jumps, box jumps, etc.

How do you test your vertical leap? I assume it's no step.

You should check out a program called air alert on DVD. Other than there's plyometric box jumps, split squats, repetitive jumping - like going down into a squat position and doing repetitive jumps, hulk jumps, stepping up onto a bench and exploding up off it and landing on two feet, scissor lunges, weighted calf raises.

My favourite baller - Vince Carter 36 inch vertical leap whilst dunking a basketball is awesome.

[YOUTUBE]vVC3yBHjNvo[/YOUTUBE]

Interested in testing my vert leap.

I am not tall - 173cm and played alot of basketball when I was younger. I was a guard and used to have quite a good vertical leap, I can't remember exactly what it was but I could touch a 10' hoop when I was around the 165cm mark.

Yes I was young, but the way I increased my leap was to jump up and touch everything that I saw. I would jump and touch everything all day, signs, ceilings, trees etc. This really helped improve my leap.

Train explosive lifts (powerclean, snatch, high pulls, squat cleans) olympic weighlifting style. Weightlifters have amazing leaps.

I have started to play sport again and feel im not able to jump as high as i used to. i play mixed indoor beach volleyball and aussie rules football occasionally. i feel i cant jump as high due to my increased weight and inactivity.
anyone got any good tips to increase my vertical jump?

cheers

20 rep squats done explosively. Controlled on the way down followed by a real explosive effort on the concentric phase of the lift. I used to watch the field athletes as well as sprinters at the AIS train in that fashion. Obviously the weight is neither too heavy nor too light. It's speed x explosive power in the shortest amount of time possible to get the job done.

Better still; see a strength coach...a la Markos.

Fadi.