• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Hey PTC, speaking of squats maybe you can help me with something; i'm wondering if it's better to go Really heavy even if I don't go all the way down, or should go to a weight that allows me to go as low as possible with full control.

Cheers

Full ROM is best for 99% of lifters.

As an advanced technique when you are seeking to improve an already heavy squat, partials are beneficial.

Aim for 1.5 x bodyweight x 20 first.

You can opt many training techniques, but you need to find out the best that can be helpful and supported by your body. So you should consult a good trainer who can help you in achieving what you are up to.
---------------------------
Designers Blog

Last edited:
I should point out my advice is for those actually seeking to get stronger/faster/leaner.

Not overly fussed about anyone NOT seeking this.

Markos I tried the press on your knees the other day... And I've never felt my shoulders being worked that good..

So do you recommend me pressing every day?

I only press 35kg 3x8 and bench 80kg 5x5 so
I think shoulders are limiting me... Do you agree?

Cheers

Any good routines with military press other then hepburn?

ive been doing sets of 5 lately, adding weight if i get a good 5x5 or just adding reps and sets if i cant

I feel alot better doing MP with higher reps at least 10/12 but thats mean i didnt make much progress on 3x6 or 3x8.

AS for daniel, isnt your bench press higher then your squat? I think you answered your own problem.

If you can squat more, you'll press more.

I reckon vary the reps on MP as much as you can, do some 20 reppers as well as singles, and everything in between. When I was using over 100kg I was repping 60kg x 40

I used to do the same with BP back in the day, 100kg x 20 as well as singles

Most nowadays neglect high rep work

i've been watching some of dorian yates' training program on youtube. has anyone used his style of training for their body building routine? he only does 1 heavy work set of 6-8 reps on the positive and then has a spotter to go to failure on the negative. he does all sorts of lifts but they're all 1 set.

Tried it and didn't work for me. I need higher volume, but not excessive. Check my diary.

Marko, I tried that a few years ago, it's not it my log. I was reffering to the fact that I use higher volume which is in my log.

Thanks

Just lately, well for some time I think most just dont really grasp the the difference between demonstrating strength versus building strength and the methods used and the bickering between the PL fans, BB fans and the lifting hobbyist, which most here are.

So I try to understand it.

When an person wants to demonstrate strength, it’s important to create conditions that will best allow that demonstration.

The person should take every “shortcut” possible, working to minimize the distance the weight is moved other methods involve improving leverages in the involved bodyparts, altering body position and utilizing equipment that makes the lift as “easy” as possible, wearing apparel that provides maximum support to the involved parts, and of course, being as well rested and mentally prepared as possible.

Now the confusing misunderstood component.

In order to build strength, one must make each and every repetition as difficult to do as is possible.

No supportive gear, safest body position should be pursued, the lifter should not attempt to maximize the possibilities of making each rep.

In other words once an exercise is chosen to strengthen the targeted muscle groups, the harder each rep of each set is the “better,” the harder, and the more productive the workout will be.

It is clear that the more time taken between sets, the more rested and mentally prepared or “psyched” the lifter can be.

Again, this is great if one’s primary goal is to demonstrate the strength that’s already present and which has resulted from and should be from *previous well constructed workouts*.

If the goal is to continue to build strength, each all-out set which has preceded the one being done, will have taken something away from the trainee’s energy and strength levels.

In a very tough workout, the psychological edge will also be worn thin, with the athlete fighting to concentrate on each rep of each set.

This is in stark comparison to the lifter who stalks the gym between sets, tightening his wraps, pulling up the straps on the supportive suit, sniffing ammonia or amyl nitrate, getting slapped by his training partner after eight minutes of rest following the preceding set.

Obviously, it’s almost impossible to maintain a high level of intensity if one takes the time to fully recover between sets.

At one extreme, and this is what I do with myself once a week and others I help is, no rest is taken between sets, other than that necessary to go from one exercise to the next, and properly and safely position oneself for that particular movement.
For the uninitiated, this is a very difficult way to train, and it’s true that cardiorespiratory deficiency will reduce the ability to exert maximal muscular effort, at least at first.
However, in a very short period of time, the body adapts to the stimulus. Reducing the time of identical workouts increases the intensity of the workout.

For the young blokes that follow their Lifting heroes I just want to tell you that it's very important to spend time *exercising* programming a template that builds strength safely to enable you to lift for a very long time.

I have no serious injuries but I know many here much younger carrying and working through issues, if you have problems now, think about what you'll be like 10 years from now, 20 years from now.

You're advocating a style of training that certainly has its benefits Goosey, but I disagree with you on a few points. I tend to hoist the weight rather than control it, and take very long breaks between sets for some exercises. I also make the bench as 'easy' as possible using powerlifter style technique. Why?

- Benching like a powerlifter has been the easiest on my shoulders.
- Long breaks at around 5 minutes working 5 sets of 5 on my main lifts has yielded me the best strength gains.
- Training for maximum speed and 'explosiveness' with a fast eccentric again has yielded me very good strength gains.

I'm not incredibly strong but I've made good progress, from 70kg to 120kg bench in around 8 months. I vary it up, and often go for a slower tempo on lighter weights.

I don't think you should stick religiously to either controlled or explosive lifting if you don't want to plateau. Force is force. Training explosively on bench gives you a lot of strength at the bottom point to power through the movement.

Psychologically training fast isn't easy either. A moments hesitation or doubt at the bottom of a max effort lift will result in you failing to develop the momentum necessary to get through a sticking point.

One other thing... I opt for a slower speed on exercises where I feel they're higher injury risk - for me going for a 'dropped eccentric' on chins or military press is a very bad idea (good way to tear bicep or hurt shoulder).

Last edited:
Just lately, well for some time I think most just dont really grasp the the difference between demonstrating strength versus building strength and the methods used and the bickering between the PL fans, BB fans and the lifting hobbyist, which most here are.

So I try to understand it.

When an person wants to demonstrate strength, it’s important to create conditions that will best allow that demonstration.

The person should take every “shortcut” possible, working to minimize the distance the weight is moved other methods involve improving leverages in the involved bodyparts, altering body position and utilizing equipment that makes the lift as “easy” as possible, wearing apparel that provides maximum support to the involved parts, and of course, being as well rested and mentally prepared as possible.

Now the confusing misunderstood component.

In order to build strength, one must make each and every repetition as difficult to do as is possible.

No supportive gear, safest body position should be pursued, the lifter should not attempt to maximize the possibilities of making each rep.

In other words once an exercise is chosen to strengthen the targeted muscle groups, the harder each rep of each set is the “better,” the harder, and the more productive the workout will be.

It is clear that the more time taken between sets, the more rested and mentally prepared or “psyched” the lifter can be.

Again, this is great if one’s primary goal is to demonstrate the strength that’s already present and which has resulted from and should be from *previous well constructed workouts*.

If the goal is to continue to build strength, each all-out set which has preceded the one being done, will have taken something away from the trainee’s energy and strength levels.

In a very tough workout, the psychological edge will also be worn thin, with the athlete fighting to concentrate on each rep of each set.

This is in stark comparison to the lifter who stalks the gym between sets, tightening his wraps, pulling up the straps on the supportive suit, sniffing ammonia or amyl nitrate, getting slapped by his training partner after eight minutes of rest following the preceding set.

Obviously, it’s almost impossible to maintain a high level of intensity if one takes the time to fully recover between sets.

At one extreme, and this is what I do with myself once a week and others I help is, no rest is taken between sets, other than that necessary to go from one exercise to the next, and properly and safely position oneself for that particular movement.
For the uninitiated, this is a very difficult way to train, and it’s true that cardiorespiratory deficiency will reduce the ability to exert maximal muscular effort, at least at first.
However, in a very short period of time, the body adapts to the stimulus. Reducing the time of identical workouts increases the intensity of the workout.

For the young blokes that follow their Lifting heroes I just want to tell you that it's very important to spend time *exercising* programming a template that builds strength safely to enable you to lift for a very long time.

I have no serious injuries but I know many here much younger carrying and working through issues, if you have problems now, think about what you'll be like 10 years from now, 20 years from now.

I love you Goosey, even if you are a creepy old man.