• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Fadi is doing a pretty good job with his answers, no need for both of us to post up the same thing. Cheers Fadi

I think i am getting confused.

Not long ago i was benching 65kg. I finally got 5x5 out so next session moved onto 70kg. I was strugling Managed to get 3x5 out but failed. Is this not what i am supposed to be doing? Am i supposed to sit a stagnent weight for a while?

You just build on it. There is not a human alive who can simply move through 5 x 5 every session with success.

Fat Dave found that out. He was flying through the 5 x 5 on Bench press. He got to 90kg and has been stuck there for 4 weeks.

He has another crack tonight.

In the meantime his 1RM has gone from 80kg to 97.5kg though, so as you can see, he is getting stronger.

I see i see..

Markos i have noticed when i am stuck on a weight though say 100kg like i have been for a while. I just started putting 105kg on and even if i failed or only got 3 sets i actually moved on as opposed to be stuck at 100kg. (If that makes sense)

I thought the body doesnt want to change we have to make it change. It must just be an experience thing i dont know if my body can handle the next weight or not unless i try it out and if i fial i fail i try again next. time..

I have now gotten 140kg 4x5 and 150kg 1x5 in one session. Do i stick with 140kg for another session or move straight onto 150 and force it out. I think i get confused with the line of Fail/effort and it just needs redefining for me.

Effort is the key, and it seems to me your doing fine in that regard

No harm in trying to get stronger, even if you fail. Not trying to get stronger is harmful

Fat Dave found that out. He was flying through the 5 x 5 on Bench press. He got to 90kg and has been stuck there for 4 weeks.

He has another crack tonight.

Do you believe in reseting? Like Fat Dave should go back to say 85 and go again?

Never. We do progressive resistance training, not regressive.

Tonight he got 90kg x 5, 90kg x 5, 90kg x 5, 90kg x 3, 90kg x 3.

Thats his best effort yet, he progressed. If he'd gone back to 87.5kg and made 5 x 5, he wouldve been going in the wrong direction.

this is the way EVERY program should be structured.

Eight months ago little Nick squatted 80kg x 1 at a comp, it was his PB. Tonight he squatted 80kg x 20.

Thats progress.

To be honest no.. lol

Noobs, do you or do you not know what your 1RM is. If you don't, then here's my suggestion to you. Take two or three days off training altogether, rest and eat well. When you feel ready, get down to the gym and go for your 1RM in the squats say. To do that you do not perform a million and one rep to get to that 1RM; you just warm up properly and start doing sets of 5, 3, 2s and then the big one. You take plenty of rest in between reps, like 3 to 4 minutes. Once that 1RM in squats is achieved and recorded, go home and eat and rest well.

Take a day off and come back on Wednesday say for a 1RM in deadlifts; then Friday for some bench an dmilitay press. Once all your 1RM are under your belt and recorded, then we can proceed with a program based on your 1RM in the above lifts.

There are few ways of doing this but let me give you a quick example here. Let's say for argument sake that you've squatted 150kg for a 1RM.

Week #1 Squats: 5x5 @ 75% of 1RM = 112.5kg 5 sets of 5 reps
Week #2 ; ; ; : 5x4 @ 80% of 1RM = 120kg 5 sets of 4 reps
Week #3 ; ; ; : 4x4 @ 85 %
Week #4 ; ; ; : 3x3 @ 90%
Week #5 ; ; ; : 4x2 @ 95% etc...
Week #6 ; ; ; : 3x3 @ 80% On Monday. Wed rest, Thursday 110-120% (new PB and a new 1RM)

Like I said, a rough example, but you get the idea. I don't like going to failure and I don't like to fail unless I'm performing a new PB of 110-120 % of a previous 1RM.

Fadi.

Your figures seem a little odd.

From personal experience, I feel you get very little in the way of strength with less than 85% of your 1RM.

The first 3 weeks are at 85% and under.

Secondly, if you can squat 150kg, you should be able to destroy 112.5kg x 5 x 5.

My son Max squats 155kg and can do 112.5kg x 12.

A six week program with 4 weeks being at or under 85% seems a little on the weak side.

I like set programs, but I like a little more effort in my sessions. Leaving 7 reps in the bank during weak ( Fruedian slip) one of the program doesnt seem right.

I've never tried this program so I cant say for sure. I'm only guesstimating by looking at the numbers.

I know its only a rough draft, but it doesnt appear to have enough hard work in it.

Your figures seem a little odd.

From personal experience, I feel you get very little in the way of strength with less than 85% of your 1RM.

The first 3 weeks are at 85% and under.

Secondly, if you can squat 150kg, you should be able to destroy 112.5kg x 5 x 5.

My son Max squats 155kg and can do 112.5kg x 12.

A six week program with 4 weeks being at or under 85% seems a little on the weak side.

I like set programs, but I like a little more effort in my sessions. Leaving 7 reps in the bank during weak ( Fruedian slip) one of the program doesnt seem right.

I've never tried this program so I cant say for sure. I'm only guesstimating by looking at the numbers.

I know its only a rough draft, but it doesnt appear to have enough hard work in it.

You’re quite right Markos; no argument from me coach. That’s not the way I write programs. It was to illustrate a point to Noobs regarding the changing of pace instead of sticking with 5x5 at 100% effort all the time, or as in his case, even going beyond that on a constant basis. That’s all. But point taken. Thank you for your observation Sir.

Fadi.

Hope this is the right place for this question...
I'm hoping that you guys might be able to help me with something... When I do my workout, the first superset (warm up exercises) are usually starting at 50% of my fail, and I increase it to 65% for 2nd set, then 80% on the 3rd. (percentages represent my 10th rep fail) and I wanted to know if the weight increases should be applied for my subsequent sets of ecersises too, or is it better for the rest of the exercises to do 3 sets of the same heavy weight (80-100%) and only increase the weight on next weeks workout? For example, 70kg deadlift x 3 sets today, and 72.5 next week?

Cheers,

Rick

Stop worrying about percentages. If your deadlifting 70kg and your not an amputee you have other problems.

By the sounds of it you simply need to put some effort into lifting heavier weights.

Before anybody comes on here and tells me Baz is a novice or its his first deadlift session, I had a girl and her little brother deadlift 110kg and 130kg respectively on their first ever weights session.

They have no idea what percentage of anything that was. They just picked it up. Its not supposed to be complicated Baz, pick heavy s h i t up, press it overhead.

last year a local very hardcore gym hosted a competition called 'the 500 squat challenge'.

Pretty easy format. Do 500 reps of 60kg. You could do it anyway you liked, 500 singles, 250 doubles, 50 sets of 10's, 25 sets of 20 reps. You could mix it up. All you had to do was 500 reps.

Ladies were able to use 30kg (i think).

Only a 3 guys were able to complete the full 500 reps. Many turned up to watch the great feat. A few people tried, a lot of them failed.

It took about 3 hours. One guys legs' were sore for a good 2 weeks afterwards

Max squatted 70kg x 500 in 1 1/2 hours at PTC. Stacks of witnesses. He weighed around 65kg at the time. His mum managed over 400 reps with 70kg in the same time frame.

Its a great challenge, mentally more than physically.

Fat Dave did 120 consecutive reps with 60kg earlier this year, he would get it done in 30-45 minutes. Nick and Ryan also did 60kg x 100 in one go.