• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Oh man, this shit is sounding so good. You could really smash people with that last one. I think I'll start off with the bar thanks.

Sounds like the Bear Complex in crossfit - check out this vid, would love to hear thoughts...

YouTube - The Bear Complex WOD

Thanks for that katie. You've given me an idea that will go a long way to help you guys here remember something and hopefully do it. Now based on the above clip, if I was to take that lady's power clean as the norm for all fitness/bodybuilding athlete and compare it to a weightlifter's powerclean, what would be the diference between the two groups, i.e. what's the point of difference between that clip and an olympic weightlifter's powerclean.

PS: Markos and Nick, you're out of this riddle (because you know the answer already). I would like others to learn something form this today. Thanks.

Fadi.

Fadi, is it because she doesn't jump off the ground when bringing the bar from her thighs up to her shoulders? Also, I noticed that she is not doing it in one fluid motion when it gets heavier, though it may be that she is getting tired?

Fadi, is it because she doesn't jump off the ground when bringing the bar from her thighs up to her shoulders? Also, I noticed that she is not doing it in one fluid motion when it gets heavier, though it may be that she is getting tired?

Good try and you're on the right track, so please do have another crack at it Josh.

Fadi.

Maybe she is using to much arms and not enough shoulders? It would be easier to see if it was slower.

Maybe she is using to much arms and not enough shoulders? It would be easier to see if it was slower.

I'm a little bit surprised that this is turning out to be a Josh/Fadi thread. Doesn't anyone else want to have a go? Josh, I'll give you a hint based on elimination from which you can deduce. Shoulders and arms are not used in cleans or powerclean except as hooks and resting platform (apart from traps which are used at the finishing point of the pull). Hooking the body to the weights with the arms, then resting the bar across the collar and front deltoids (mainly).

Does that make it any easier now Josh that I've eliminated arms and shoulders for you? Don't forget, I'm asking about the point of difference between that clip and an Olympic weightlifter's powerclean. Trust me, when I give you the answer and you follow it, your powerclean will instantly jump up by 20kg! I'm dead serious here Josh.

PS: You and anyone else is free to check YouTube for any Olympic weightlifter performing a clean and jerk etc just to make it easier for you to spot "that" point of difference.

Fadi.

Last edited:
It's a josh/fadi thread because I have no idea! I did look up a weightlifting clean and jerk and still am bemused...

weight lifters do the first stage the clean explosivly with their legs to get a good momentum going, they tend to have their hands much wider apart on the bar also, so the arms stay straiter.

she seems to be pulling the weight up with her back rather than pushing it up with her legs...

thats my guess.

EDIT: well today I tried those Judds, or bear things...my term for them will be E.F.S
evil, f***ing, s**t...Lucky evil is addictive..

They seriously destroy you, didnt think I was THAT unfit, and I wasnt even doing the timing part, just doing as many as i could, which wasnt many.

Last edited:
The first pull is slow and controlled, weightlifters DO NOT use momentum off the floor, the second pull, once the bar PASSES the knees is the explosive one.

In all fairness, CrossFit is designed for cardio bunnies. I had a Crossfit instructor train with me again this morning, I spend most of the time correcting his poor form, even on dips lol. He cant clean, dip, chin or squat correctly, has little muscle, but is quite fit as long as the weights stay light.

Glad you liked the Bear, I only have one lifter who can do it with bodyweight, 2-3 around 5kg off.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on Crossfit Markos. I looked into it, but was really concerned with the techniques I saw being used. Seems that just getting out as many reps in as quick a time as possible is the focus rather than doing it correctly. have done some modified Crossfit workouts- always a killer!

Thats exactly what I found. They do use great exercises for the most part, but appear uninterested in performing them correctly.

A video of what they call "chins" is all thats needed. I dont see the point of taking the load off the muscle you should be focusing on just to get extra reps.

I do respect their fitness though.

Seems Crossfit is just another thing that's new for the sake of keeping clients interested. Over on the bb.com thread about why PTs don't teach the basic lifts, many answered, "but then what would we do for the other 11 sessions?"

Setting aside the issue that it takes a shitload more than 1 session to learn half a dozen big lifts, this shows the idea of novelty for the sake of it. "But won't my clients get bored by doing the same thing all the time?" I would say, if they're bored then they're not lifting heavy enough.

For example, doing Tabata thrusters the other day, well squatting down and then standing up with my arms in the air with kettlebells on is not particularly interesting. But I was too shagged to be bored. I was too busy sweating and swearing to be bored. When I think of doing it again, I don't feel boredom but dread.

Whereas, when I think of bicep curls, I feel only boredom.

It seems to me that Crossfit, like fitballs and a zillion other things, is just there as novelty for the sake of it. "Look at this fancy new thing we're doing! Look at us flap our arms and legs!" Yes, thankyou Richard Simmons.

At least you have to be fit to partake in Crossfit. It is bloody hard work, very much in the whole commando training vein. And I admire anyone that can do muscle ups. Can't say that about Richard Simmons! Wonder if he has ever tried to do a muscle up?

I wish my pt would teach ME the basic lifts - i've read about them but am to scared of injuring myself learning them alone.

I go to gym alone unless its with my personal trainer and have no friends with the knowledge to show me how.

I will definitely be requesting to learn these lifts when my trainer is back from holidays in a months time though :)

Getting sick of isolation excercises that seem fairly pointless considering i'm still 10kg away from my goal weight and don't intend on toning yet

If you have a PT and he has not taught you Squats, Deadlifts or Military Presses it is time for you to get a new PT. He is wasting your time and money.

I didn't use a PT when I started and did isolation stuff for a while, though I also did squats, deads, mil presses etc.

Last edited:
If your PT refuses to teach you the basic compound lifts then get another; if they haven't taught you, maybe they just thought you didn't want to know. Most clients won't want to, at least not at first.

There's also a school of thought in the industry that deconditioned (ie unfit, weak and clumsy) clients ought to begin with machines and bodyweight movement, it's better for them at their stage, and they can progress to free weights later. I don't entirely agree with it (it depends on the client), but that's the idea floating around.

Yes, I know.

I can't control the trends in the whole industry anymore than you can, though. But that is a subject for my PTI school thread :)