• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I smashed a PB today

PowerBuilder

I'm still not sure where to actually put this post. I figure i"ll post it here & if an admin or mod want to move it, they will (& hopefully tell me where lol).

I got up this morning all excited. I was pumped. I was ready. I thought "today is the day that i'm going to try & smash the 77.5kg BP barrier that i've been facing for what feels like foreve". During the course of the day, which involved a scenic drive, visiting relatives with the girlfriend & eating (like a horse), i kept picturing myself breaking the record, doing 80kg for example.

When I got into the gym, I did a warm up routine that i hadn't tried before. It's simple..

50% x 8
60% x 5
70% x 3
80% x 1
90% x 1
100% x 1
102%x 1

When it came to the 100% x 1 rep, I got a friend to help me with taking the bar off the rack, so i could conserve energy & use what i could to move the iron. And what do you know, i benched 80kg with difficulty, but it was smooth. It didn't bounce off my chest, it rested & then was pushed up. My mate then suggested putting an extra 2.5kg onto the bar. After a 5 minute rest, i tested 82.5kg & once again, benched it corrctly, no bounce. All the way up & down. My arse never left the bench, my feet stayed planted to the ground.

Today I benched 82.5kg while my previous record was 77.5kg. ONwards & upwards. I want that 100kg bench (raw)

Well done! You now bench exactly what I do :D

Where you should post it is in your gym journal thread.

Yes, you should have a gym journal thread.

Also in your sig.

Well done. I'm hitting 75kg at present, but can do about 6 decent reps. I'm always a bit concerned about going too high with the weight as I never have anyone to spot me. Is it normal to ask a stranger at the gym to spot you?

Pretty sure I could squeeze out one or two reps at 80kg. Might have to give it a go tomorrow! Thanks for the inspuiration.

S-B

Yes, go ahead and ask someone to spot you. If they want to train entirely alone they'll buy a home gym.

Just make sure to tell them that you want a spot to prevent injury, not to help you finish the set - or you might find yourself part of the Two Man Combined Bench Press Barbell Row event.

If your gym has a squat cage with safety bars, you can also drag a bench into it and arrange the bars so that they stop the bar dropping on you if you fail.

If you can do 6x 75 then you can almost certainly do 3x 80kg. Just begin with 1 rep :)

Well done. I'm hitting 75kg at present, but can do about 6 decent reps. I'm always a bit concerned about going too high with the weight as I never have anyone to spot me. Is it normal to ask a stranger at the gym to spot you?

Pretty sure I could squeeze out one or two reps at 80kg. Might have to give it a go tomorrow! Thanks for the inspuiration.

S-B

mate that's not a problem, I'm glad i supplied you with a bit of inspIration.

It's fiarly normal to ask a stranger for a spot. Prolly a good idea to ask somebody who is a fair bit stronger than you, as you don't want to be part of the 2 man combo that Kyle spoke of. In truthfulness, then guy that gave me the spot, is more of...some guy i see at the gym training, he's fairly strong & a lot taller than me, so i assumed it was a safe bet.

It's almost the polite thing also, if somebody was to come up to you & ask for a spot. In my book, it'd be pretty bloody rude if i asked Kyle for a spot, example...and he said he didn't want to & that he wanted to complete his 15th set of bicep curls

Train hard & heavy. The only way is up

Thanks fellas. All these little nuggets of gold are a big help.
Prepare yourselves for my 80kg post shortly!

That's true, but... then the gym might bin some of the treadmills and buy a second rack! Supply and demand, mate.

My gym has a LOT of people wanting more squat racks, and heavier DB's, even the trainers are posing as members and writing notes in the suggestion box, but at staff meetings they say "No, we need to get better cardio equipment" :(

My gym has a LOT of people wanting more squat racks, and heavier DB's, even the trainers are posing as members and writing notes in the suggestion box, but at staff meetings they say "No, we need to get better cardio equipment" :(

Give them my email, I'll convince them otherwise.:)

Fadi.

Gents, I managed a mighty 2 reps at 80KG this morning. 2nd one was a bit wobbly, I was going to tempt a third, but I had no spotter.

Onwards and upwards!

Good job mate, I find it very hard to progress with Bench Press if I have no spotter.