• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squatting 140kg @ a BW of 66kg

PowerBuilder

Today when heading into the gym I had a mission & a plan. I was focused & driven. I was committed to doing something I had previously done & had some good results. I was also unsure if it would produce the same results as earlier.

Most powerlifting methods are done on your 1RM. What you can lift in relation to your 1 rep max. ie if 100kg was your 1RM bench press, 85% would obviously be 85%. Theres a method of training when you use over your 1RM, ie 20% over your 1RM.

So after a good bit of warming up I loaded up 140kg (3 wheels) onto the bar. I then placed the pins in the safety rack so that i was only moving down an inch or 2. I then went onto do 4 sets of 20 reps.

I can hear some of you thinking that sounds like complete bull shit to me. Well..maybe it is, maybe it's not. It's a method used by Paul Anderson, called Progressive Movement Training.

The concept is, to progressively increase the ROM (range of movement) of the submaximal weight so that the CNS gets use to moving an incredible amount of weight.

So for example...in week 1, i would squat 140kg, for 4 reps @ 20 reps, moving only a few inches. Week 2, i would lower the pins & still squat 140kg, doing 4 sets three times a week, but only doing 15 reps. Week 3...you guessed it, squatting 140kg @ 4 sets, for about 10-12 reps, avoiding fatigue at all costs. The idea is to continue on for as long as possible while lowering the pins & weight & pins to increase the weight moved.

I squatted 140kg for 20 reps :)

LOL.....great effort, we use it heaps, but their not called squats.

I even did a newsletter about it a few issues ago with pics.

Only problem is, your not using enough weight. When doing 1/4 squats, which is there actual name, your meant to really amp the poundage, not just 20%. My 68kg lifter uses 250kg as an example, my big guys use well over 300kg.

Well done on doing something different though, just dont call them squats.

theres 1/4 squats, 1/2 squats, bench squats, box squats etc.....but theres only one squat.

Oh, and Paul was a country hick, he never gave ANY of his training a name, especially not one like Progressive Movement training lol, the "experts" did that.

Paul just lifted more weight than any other human being.

So what do you call what Fadi has me doing, just doing the arse-to-ground to parallel, the bottom part of the motion?

Yes I knew that bit.

But "Hard Goddamned Work, 4x 3x 50kg" would look silly in my gym journal :D

I'm afraid so lol On paper it would look....out of place, but with the knowledge that your doing the latter part of a squat, we'd know better

With your lifters doing 250kg movements (1/4's as you say), are they juz lifting the weight off the safety pins, or are they unracking it, then standing above the pins THEN racking it? I'm unsure if i could (right now) move 250, I'm more than happy to give it ago tho. I'm going to tell my gym to make an order on more wheels lol

I do this but on leg press, my gym doesn't have a cage, so its safer.

400kg leg press partials ftw.

1/2 a ton, that's massive. One problem with machines is that their all different, due to each company having a patent on their machine, so while you can do 500kg on your leg press, you may struggle to do 450 on mine.

Although there isn't a direct carry over effect from the leg press to the squat, 500kg is still quite a lot of weight to move, for ANY distance! Rep's for you

If they're the 45 degree leg press you whack regular old plates on, they'll all be the same.

It's just the machines that are different. I mean, on the machine in my gym I have done 10x 180kg without too much trouble. Then I came to the 45 degree leg press at the school gym and I was struggling to do 8-10 with 125kg - effectively only moving 86kg or so, remember.

That is very different. If the machine really was offering the equivalent of 180kg of resistance, I should have been able to do something like 240kg on the 45deg leg press - twice as much!

And I used the machine for a couple of months, doing as I said up to 180kg... but I struggle arse-to-ground on 60kg squats.

I think the 45 degree leg press is very useful, though not as good as squats, but that the pure cables and plates machine is not much good at all.

I'm not qualified to speak of 1/4 squats and the like, I'm only just starting with trying them out.

With your lifters doing 250kg movements (1/4's as you say), are they juz lifting the weight off the safety pins, or are they unracking it, then standing above the pins THEN racking it? I'm unsure if i could (right now) move 250, I'm more than happy to give it ago tho. I'm going to tell my gym to make an order on more wheels lol

PowerBuilder, moving up to such a huge weight takes bit of time and patience, both physically and psychologically. Do what you're doing with the 140kg now; you're doing fine mate.

Fadi.

Weight on the spine is the key, leg press equals greatest failure of all time. No stabilizer muscle gets worked whatsoever. Useless, its merely a towel rack.

We dont have a cage at PTC either.

Please remember, that partials should be used sparingly. Full squats should be the basis of your workout 90% of the time.

Simply stick to the basics, you cant go wrong.

On the advice of Fadi, I am doing the full squats in each workout, but adding the bottom-side partials in, too - since that's my weakest part, from the bottom to parallel. Seem reasonable? I figured I would try it for a month and see what happens.

My brother and I have been doing sets of 15 - 20 of 60kg once we finish all of our working sets. We do partial ones and only work from ATG - just above parrellel. Man it stings and we are mainly doing them to finish our legs off, so not sure if there would be any benefit. I have noticed I have more power coming out of the hole since starting them.

1/2 a ton, that's massive. One problem with machines is that their all different, due to each company having a patent on their machine, so while you can do 500kg on your leg press, you may struggle to do 450 on mine.

Although there isn't a direct carry over effect from the leg press to the squat, 500kg is still quite a lot of weight to move, for ANY distance! Rep's for you

400, not 500 man.

Weight on the spine is the key, leg press equals greatest failure of all time. No stabilizer muscle gets worked whatsoever. Useless, its merely a towel rack.

We dont have a cage at PTC either.

Please remember, that partials should be used sparingly. Full squats should be the basis of your workout 90% of the time.

Simply stick to the basics, you cant go wrong.

Weight on the spine depends on how your sitting, the weight is on my ass.

Talking about weight on spine, box squats and actually sitting on the box, that's weight on spine.