• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Fadi on Bodybuilding

Hi all, I'm interested in reading a bit more about the 100rep stuff mentioned above. I won't be looking to try anything special any time soon (only really a beginner in terms of strength) but i do enjoy reading about different training philosophies. Could someone please provide me a link?
Cheers!

Could someone please provide me a link?
Cheers!
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I thought the OP was where I mentioned the 100 reps.

Please note: what I'm talking about with this 100 reps is not direct muscle hypertrophy but rather indirect muscle hypertrophy due to the increase one gets in his/her capillaries and mitochondria density. One would greatly facilitate muscle growth when nutrient dense blood's way to the muscle is also facilitated. If nutrients can not reach your muscles properly, then no weight program nor eating regime would be able to help your muscle grow.

1. Break it down
2. Feed it (supercompensate)
3. Digest/assimilate your food
3. Rest (recover) both your muscles as well as your nervous system, then...
4. Sit back and watch the magic happen before your very eyes.

Fadi.

thanks! i came to doing weights through MMA training and legs are the most important thing, due to the constant wrestling. which explains my leg strength and also my weight
Couldn't agree more. Generation of the power that is felt by your kick ass punch, had its very roots generating all the way down starting from your feet and travelling like thunder through your thighs, glutes, hips, then your upper body taking over... (and God help the opponent on the receiving end when that volcano of power erupts...in his face!).

Fadi.

My apologies, Fadi.

I read from the last post (page 19) to several pages earlier thinking the 100 reps discussion was only a new addition to the thread. Next time I will read the whole thread before asking for additional information!

Thanks for replying and being polite about my incompetence :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting read Fadi and thanks to those that contributed to the discussion.

The talk got a little ropey at about page 9 but it was good to see that all was forgiven between members in the end! :D

BigD, there's no need for an apology mate and there was no incompetence noted. I hope you've gotten something (no matter how small) from what I've written in the original post.

Take care.

Fadi.

Fadi you have inspired me (and given me the knowledge) to push through my current plateau. You're a legend!

Fadi you have inspired me (and given me the knowledge) to push through my current plateau. You're a legend!
Thank you so much for your wonderful words of expression. Looking at your numbers, they tell me that you're going places young man. So always think of two words when it comes to workout times: Effort & Consistency. You can't go wrong if you inject these two powerhouses into your workout regime Sir. I sincerely wish you all the very best indeed and again, I thank you for your wonderful demeanour.

Fadi.

Bit of a grave dig but I just wanted to build on what Fadi mentioned earlier; that being, the training and periodisation differences between Power lifters and body builders, and how steroid use is often the quick answer for smarter training programs.

Several years after I entered the world of bodybuilding, and after countless programs that never offered the kind of returns from the effort put in, I came to realise that all the good body builders, natural or not, had one thing in common - they built their base with low rep, heavy, compound movements, with many of them from powerlifting backgrounds.

Take a look around any powelifting gym and I guarantee you anyone there that has been lifting for a reasonable amount of time will have a thickness and width to them rarely obtained through general bodybuilding routines IE: higher reps, isolation work and sets to failure...typically running your muscles into the ground every time you weight train. And this is easily proved by just looking around your gym at those who train regularly; I'd bet London to a brick, for 99% of them, their body composition / size has hardly changed the whole time they've been there.

Consider this; If a house is only as good as the foundations it's built on, it makes perfect sense that, as bodybuilders, you build a solid base before putting the finishing touches on your body.
We are all guilty of it when we first start working out. We rush in with complete enthusiasm, pump our bodies with weights til bursting point and then repeat the same again over and over. And because you've taken your body from one extreme to the other, it's natural reaction is to rebuild itself bigger and stronger for the next onslaught and the gains come thick and fast so you're obviously doing it right, eh?

Then, as sure as the sun rises in the East, 6-8 weeks later, those gains have slowed or even stopped and no matter how much or how hard you train, there is little reward for such a huge effort. In fact, you might even notice a loss in strength and or size. You take a few days off due to feeling sick and then do it all over again for another couple of months until your back to losing strength, size and uncharacteristically sick... again. Welcome to over training.

The answer???
Anyone who is serious about gaining size and strength would do well to spend a bit of time in a power lifting gym. Take note of their training principles, the way they periodise their lifting loads, the way they rarely, if ever, train to muscular failure, they practice exceptionally strict form and, most importantly, they leave the gym tired from a solid training session but not so wrecked they can't back it up the next day. Yet they rock a body that is jamb packed with solid, powerful muscle, packed on like slabs of beef.

For the serious bodybuilder looking to make an impact on stage or, as Larry Scott is quoted as saying during an interview at Vince's Gym, Ryde circa 1975, "To be so huge I want to make people puke", incorporating the basic principles of powerlifting into your bodybuilding program will create the perfect base on which to mold and shape the body of your dreams.

Without a doubt my best gains in strength and size came from modified versions of programs in the book; Beyond Bodybuilding, by Pavel. And I had energy to burn after every workout.

Something to consider, comrades.

Last edited:
Bullshit, utter rubbish and typical.

Body types gravitate to the sport that suits them, and the saying, you can't make chicken soup from chicken shit is reality.

take a look at any gym, and you'll see big guys who didn't build their base from doing a powerlifting program or beginner programs, usually just splits. And then they're not even strong.

practice exceptionally strict form.. what

Train for your goals

.....This announced was brought to you by Power Lifting Australia and has no resemblance to actual persons living or dead......

take a look at any gym, and you'll see big guys who didn't build their base from doing a powerlifting program or beginner programs, usually just splits. And then they're not even strong.

practice exceptionally strict form.. what

Train for your goals

This is true. The once that make gains eat enough, progressively train, recover well and are consistent. People use many different programs but they all usually follow these basics. Some programs are more efficient and some less but if you have patience and understand the basic principals and actually apply them you get results.

That being said most gym goers would get what the want from a full body routine due to fitting their time limits and needs.

This is true. The once that make gains eat enough, progressively train, recover well and are consistent. People use many different programs but they all usually follow these basics. Some programs are more efficient and some less but if you have patience and understand the basic principals and actually apply them you get results.

That being said most gym goers would get what the want from a full body routine due to fitting their time limits and needs.

agreed big dave

but i wouldn't be training like a powerlifter if i was stripped for time, the resting between sets wouldn't be good if you have a time limit.
full body is good

Fadi how do you rate reverse grip flat bench with a wide grip as an upper pec developer?

If you had to choose a single free weight exercise to complement flat bench (done powerlifter style) what would it be?

Fadi how do you rate reverse grip flat bench with a wide grip as an upper pec developer?

If you had to choose a single free weight exercise to complement flat bench (done powerlifter style) what would it be?

What is reverse grip!?

Narrow grip (rather than the common wider grip) will create a longer ROM, which means the bar will need to travel further.

In my case, narrow grip the bar travels 575mm, if I move my hands out by 300mm the bar only needs to travel 500mm, so the narrow grip enables the pec's to receive more stimulus or mechanical work which is going to make my pec bigger which inturn creates an environment for tha muscle to get stronger.