• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] The “F” word!

Fadi

Are you guilty of it? Come on, you can tell me. I promise I won’t tell anyone. Which were you guilty more of; saying it or doing it? I confess to you right here and now that I was more guilty of doing it than saying it. I could not help myself you understand; the feeling of reaching that pinnacle point drove me wild. I craved the stimulus it gave me, I was so hooked on it; my body could not recover for days on end. It caused me severe trauma and pain, but I mistook it for pleasure. Oh what a fool I’ve been!

Thank God I came to my senses in time. For had I not done so; pain would’ve been my frequent friend. Now I’m here asking...no, pleading with you my friends, to join me in leaving this joint wrecker, this inhibiter of your recovering ability...what did you think I was talking about? You’ve got to be kidding, right?! It’s failure that I’m talking about. Going to failure on every set of every exercise of every workout and on and on and on...That's the “F” word.

Going to failure results in more muscle fiber microtauma, which in turn serves to delay your recovering ability and ultimately muscle growth. Once a muscle is stimulated with few sets (2-3), it can not be more stimulated. Have you ever gone for a muscle pump; achieved it, loved it, then thought one more for the road since “I’m in heaven right now”, only to have your muscles deflate before your very eyes? Basically what you have done here was that you have annihilated what you have earlier stimulated. All in the name of “no pain no gain”, or “I have to go to failure otherwise I won’t grow.”

Well, I don’t know of any sport where its athletes employ such tactic in training; not even in weightlifting or powerlifting. So why it is those bodybuilders think they are the exception to the norm? I know, I’m a bodybuilder like you and believe that we are a bunch of very unique athletes indeed. However, I sincerely believe that we are causing more harm to ourselves by choosing to be isolated rather than included in the whole realm of scientific literature that is at our finger tips. But no, we somehow know better. I ask you, were you given a different program than I was given 25 years ago? The answer is more than likely the same old rubbish: “Do 3 to 4 sets of 10 reps and know that no pain is no gain, Ok Charlie!” All of us at one point or another felt our chest, pressed slightly and went: Ouch, yeh I must’ve had a good workout last night! We mistakenly understood deep pain or inflammation to be some sort of positive indication of a good workout that we had had the night before.

That my dear brothers and sisters, was nothing more than the result of some excessive microtrauma. Delayed recovery is another by-product of this die-hard habit of going to failure with high volume training. Had the results been a guarantee of more muscle growth, I’d be the first one to continue with it. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I mentioned above that weightlifters do not go to failure; however as a former weightlifter, I did just that for about two weeks back in 1984. Training to failure with low reps and heavy weights is much more taxing on the CNS than training to failure with higher reps and lighter weights. I must say, all ten weightlifters at the AIS at the time broke down simultaneously. We were literally begging our two coaches for mercy. I kid you not! We began to loose interest and our recovering ability went through the floor. Looking back at it now, I believe we were been used as guinea pigs to find out our CNS threshold.

That was a single two weeks occasion in a span of 3 years, (not bad). Bodybuilders on the other hand seem to be consistently going on a roller coaster ride of feeling great one week, and crashing not long after. Bodybuilders need to look at the periodisation system employed by their cousin sports: weightlifting and powerlifting. No bodybuilder should ever have to suffer the yo yo effect of an unscientific training protocol. We all deserve the very best science has to offer, NOW!

Fadi.

I think it´s important to listen to your body and vary your training, it´s good to make a year plan with light training, heavy training, failure traning and don´t be scared to rest a week if you feel tired and the motivation is gone.

/Mattias

The guy with the best-looking physique in our course, the best combination of muscularity, low but not "ripped" bodyfat, and the various parts in proportion is... a guy who does weightlifting, not bodybuilding.

I'll have to ask him about his training. I do know he'd never done a bench press before our course, we had to show him when we tested the 1RM on it, he still pressed more than his bodyweight, and still has great pecs :D

IMO weightlifting is the pick of the strength sports. Bodybuilding is not funtional enough for me, powerlifting has too much equiptment for my liking. Weightlifters for the most part look great, are extremely strong and very explosive which is a huge benifit for any other sport.

Here is the first 4 day a week weightlifting program I was on for the last 4 weeks.

EXERCISE Sets/Reps

Day 1

Drop Snatchs 3x3
Snatch 4x3
Snatch Pulls 5x3
Back squats 5x4
Good Mornings 5x6

Day 2

Power Cleans 4x3
Squat Clean 3x3
Front Squats 5x4
Push Press 3x3
Front Squats 4x3

Day 3

Power C&J 3x2
Squat Clean 3x3
Clean Pull 5x3
Front Squats 5x3

Day 4

Snatch 3x1
Clean & Jerk 3x1
Back Squats 4x3
Good Mornings 5x10
Presses 4x3

I also do 2 bench press only session per week.

Last edited:
Fadi, i have always gone to failure as i have always associated pain with a good workout (as you mentioned above). i should specifiy i only go to failure on my last set of each exercise, and usually don't ever need a spot.

my question is, if you don't go to failure, what do you do? i mean, do you just finish your 10 reps at a weight comfortably then? how do you push yourself? and with regards to volume, what is too much then?

i have posted my current training program up in the page 3 of my thread http://ausbb.com/member-training-diaries/9297-pistachios-10wk-short-term-plan-3.html

i would very much appreciate it if you could give your opinion on this and whether i am causing more harm than good!

cheers

Fadi, i have always gone to failure as i have always associated pain with a good workout (as you mentioned above). i should specifiy i only go to failure on my last set of each exercise, and usually don't ever need a spot.

my question is, if you don't go to failure, what do you do? i mean, do you just finish your 10 reps at a weight comfortably then? how do you push yourself? and with regards to volume, what is too much then?

i have posted my current training program up in the page 3 of my thread http://ausbb.com/member-training-diaries/9297-pistachios-10wk-short-term-plan-3.html

i would very much appreciate it if you could give your opinion on this and whether i am causing more harm than good!

cheers

I am in the same boat as you..

Today i upped weight in squats to 120kg and got 3x5 and failed on next one i was stuck on 100kg for a long time until i just started rmaping up the weight hard and foricng my self to deal with it..

I dont know if its the right thing to do but its working for me and i am seeing results so it cant be that bad. Mind you i dont do it alot only when i plateu.

cheers

Pistachio (what's your name by the way ?). Here's what you wrote at the end of your post:
so i guess my question is, is it worth doing what i am doing below? or should i do something else to prime myself for new gains and for a new program? considering my poor training effort over the last , i think i am likely to make some gains no matter what i do, but i really don't want to waste any more time. i've just turned 23 and i really thought i would have achieved my goals by now :(

Have you not seen my article on Lose fat/Maintain muscle? That should prime your muscles with bigger and denser capilliries which will facilitate future growth not to mention get you back into shape after taking it easy for a while.

After you've done that, then we can talk about performing some 1RM from which we can build a program upon.

i've just turned 23 and i really thought i would have achieved my goals by now
Says who? You should know best what you've been putting in in ALL aspects that make a bodybuilder what/who he is. That's why I always imphasise having a diary. I ask you, what did you do when you were 19? Or what did you do when you had your best ever gains and for how long were you training by then? How many days were you training then as compared to now...

Fadi, i have always gone to failure as i have always associated pain with a good workout
So has many others;that's why plateauing has become the mastered art of bodybuilders. I know of no other athletes who have matered it so well...:(

You don't have to answer my questions; they're for you to ponder over.

All the best.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Pistachio (what's your name by the way ?). Here's what you wrote at the end of your post:

Have you not seen my article on Lose fat/Maintain muscle? That should prime your muscles with bigger and denser capilliries which will facilitate future growth not to mention get you back into shape after taking it easy for a while.

After you've done that, then we can talk about performing some 1RM from which we can build a program upon.

Says who? You should know best what you've been putting in in ALL aspects that make a bodybuilder what/who he is. That's why I always imphasise having a diary. I ask you, what did you do when you were 19? Or what did you do when you had your best ever gains and for how long were you training by then? How many days were you training then as compared to now...

So has many others;that's why plateauing has become the mastered art of bodybuilders. I know of no other athletes who have matered it so well...:(

You don't have to answer my questions; they're for you to ponder over.

All the best.

Fadi.

hi Fadi, I will send you a PM so I do not hijack this thread of yours

cheers

Great narrative Fadi, really well thought out.

My question is pretty much along the same lines as pistachio.

Does this theory then apply to supersets, happy to be corrected if I'm using your word out of its intended meaning, wouldn't the constant use of the same muscle group constitute microtrauma?

Great narrative Fadi, really well thought out.

My question is pretty much along the same lines as pistachio.

Does this theory then apply to supersets, happy to be corrected if I'm using your word out of its intended meaning, wouldn't the constant use of the same muscle group constitute microtrauma?

Hi Mr. King,

If you superset the same muscle, then you're obviously working the same muscle and therefore increasing the intensity. Please note, in my writing here on the forum, I don't say that going to failure is going to kill your muscle; it's your recovery that is going to suffer. Not many pay close attention to this. After all, it is at this time (the time of resting and recovering) that supercompensation takes place.

Now if you perform supersets in an antagonist way, then as far as the muscle is concerned; it was not a superset (in the context of going to failure). Only you perceive it as such.

You've got your drop sets which I think are amazing especially for the shoulders as in side laterals. Can you go all out and burn the hell out of your side delts? Yes, as long as they are recovered by the time the next workout time comes. Is it a good idea to subject the muscle to such a brutal principle of training: yes but rarely.

It's the excessive microtrauma that we're concerned with here. Even by stopping 1 rep short of failure, the muscle still receives a huge blow to its fibers at the micro level. That's the tightness you fell the next day or the mild discomfort. Unlike that feeling you get when you had some time off training and then you hit the iron with a mighty vigour that nearly cripples you the next day (excessive microtrauma). We're after mild soreness not inflammation. We want a nice sun tan that we build through gradual exposure to the sun; not a burnt lobster due to a one long exposure!

Fadi.

Last edited:
Good analogy there Fadi, I think its clearer thanks for breaking it down.