• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Frozen (steamed) vegies any good?

Dshwam

Im trying to get a searve of vegies in each day at tafe so iv been trying the mcCaines frozen vegies, inbetween breckie and lunch. What do u reackon.. is there a better way of getting a good hit of vegies? V8 juice maybe?

Heres whats in it

Collapse table Expandable table

Servings per package - 2
Serving size 210g Quantity
per serving % Daily Intake**
(per serving)

Quantity
per 100g Energy743kJ (178 Cal)8.5%353kJ (84 Cal)Protein5.3g10.6%2.5gFat, total (*1.7%)
- saturated3.6g
0.8g5.1%
3.3%1.7g
0.4gCarbohydrate
- sugars 28.4g
4.6g9.2%
5.1%13.5g
2.2gDietary fibre4.6g15.3%2.2gSodium672mg29.2%320mg** Percentage Daily Intakes are based on an average adult diet of 8700kJ. Your daily intakes may

IMHO
wouldnt it be better if u prepare salad before hand and bring it to work?
i dont really trust frozen meals...

fresh is not best
research has shown some frozen vegies are actually fresher then "fresh" vegies

fresh is not best
research has shown some frozen vegies are actually fresher then "fresh" vegies

Upg, when the Chef speak; I listen. Resarch and studies we can all get from the net and from books etc. We're here because we're after the real deal. I see what you're saying but answer me this. Have you really analised the study you're talking about or have you just taking the lab result for it? Which carrot would you say is better for you, the one you've just picked out of the ground or the frozen one you've purchased from the supermarket freezer?

I'm sure you'd have an answer for me Upg and you're going to say it's all relative really. And that's exactly what I as well as Chef Kyle are basically saying here; it's all relative. In other words it's not black or white. There's plenty shade of greys in between the two camps. That's all. So you are right, but Kyle is also right.

Fadi.

The Choice article doesn't say that preserved vegies have more nutrients than fresh ones. It says,

"By the time you eat them, fresh vegetables can have lower levels of important nutrients, such as vitamin C, than their frozen counterparts."

Which I would not argue with. You should have your fresh fruit and vegetables fresh. If you do one shop a fortnight and eat your vegies only after they have turned limp in the fridge, then yes, they will do you less good than if you got some frozen ones.

But if you buy them and eat them within a few days while they're still crisp, then they'll be better for you than the frozen variety.

"We also retested the fresh vegies after storing them (uncooked) for one week in the fridge (at 4°C). They lost nutritional value in this time — especially the green vegetables (broccoli, green beans and spinach). So unless you use up your fresh veg quickly you’re better off with frozen."

I don't think you'll find any chef, professional or amateur, who'll say that vegies that have been sitting in the fridge for a week are going to be really good for you. If you went to a restaurant and asked, "are these vegies fresh or frozen?" and they replied, "they're fresh! they've been sitting in the fridge for a week!" what would you think?

Honestly, unless you're living in the outback somewhere and so must store months of food, then if your vegies are in the fridge uneaten for a week - you're not eating enough vegies. As a couple (and about half the time, a third guest), we have a standard-sized fridge, it gets filled with vegies twice a week. 2.5 person household, 1kg fruit and vegies each daily, that's 17.5kg weekly.

Fresh is best. Fresh - not sitting around for a week. Fresh.

It's frozen packs of mixed microwave steam vegies for me, because eating these is better than not eating any at all.

I have a very busy schedule and hardly get the chance to go shopping for food.

Frozen are definitely better than none, yes.

fresh (today) > frozen > "fresh" (week old) > processed > none

Just eat heaps of 'em.