• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Hulk

Active Member, Site Advertiser
I'm talking bodybuilding or other weight training activities.
To keep it under control, please limit answers to 5 most relevant reasons.

My answers:

To gain muscle mass and desirable body for sex appeal (for women, gays can look but no touch).
To compete with others at the gym I train at (crossfit style).
To increase my functional strength.
To improve my overall athletic ability to the maximum level.
To maybe compete at some sort of sporting activity, maybe athletics (not bodybuilding) at masters level (over 40's) as I do not/have not had the opportunity to compete now.

1) My mental health. I have suffered from depression in the past and exercise helped get me out of that black hole. Also provides great stress relief.
2) Vanity. I have a choice- starve or exercise. I like food to much and being hungry sucks.
3) I'm good at it. I'm not built for running. Ankles are stuffed and I get impact injuries. But I am naturally strong and have the perfect build for lifting.
4) Strength. I am super short and having strength makes me feel less vulnerable. Also useful for everyday life. I don't want to be the girl that can't change her own tyre because it is too heavy.
5) Competition. I like to lift more than others and get a buzz when I beat my own targets.

1)To feel good about myself
2)To keep middle age at bay
3)To look good
4)To keep active
5)I love to learn-at this point in my life about the body,the science of it,diet and nutrition etc.

1). Sense of achievement in the long run (personal growth..physical and mental)
2). To feel good in the short run (the feeling after the a rough gym workout... better than sex!!)
3). To look good
4). To be physically more superior (strength, size)

1. To get rid of my stick arms and spaghetti legs - to look great in singlets and shorts this summer
2. The 4 hour buzz I get after training
3. The confidence strength gives me
4. Stress release - I love boxing/kicking
5. Overall health and well being

Last edited:
"Why" does not enter my equation. As Oxygen is my life line, so is training. It comes with the territory without a second thought.

Fadi.

same as fadi... I live this... it is a part of my being... hence why i get so emotional over it.

Fadi, there must be a reason/reasons why you train.

We all have to breathe to survive.
We all have to eat/drink to survive.
We all have to sleep/rest to survive.

Training is not necessary for survival in ordinary life.
So there must be reasons or feelings you have, to choose to train.

Adrian, every word you wrote and every reason you gave is more than valid. But I'm giving you what I'm feeling right now at 44. Had you asked me when I was 17, 25, or 35, my answer could have been different, not now.

Let me sum it up for you in a spiritual type of terminology:

True devotion is to loose the faculty of being conscious of your devotion; for someone who identifies devotion in his devotion is a person whose devotion is in need of devotion.

Fadi.

- Overall Health
- Self esteem (socially and in work)
- Sex life improves
AND finally Teaches me discipline to put towards everything in life.

• I hate the way i look in an untrained state
  • I am addicted
  • It gives eating a whole new purpose
  • I am addicted
  • I still have not acheived a look that i am 100% happy with
  • Oh and I am addicted. :rolleyes:

I read through all the above responses and I found so many of them struck a chord! So my response is likely to sound like an amalgamation of all of the above answers, without deliberately intending it to be so...

1. Training allows me to eat more food without guilt :)

2. I am naturally competitive and I enjoy trying to better myself by lifting heavier weights or running faster. Also hubby is an excellent rockclimber so I like to try to climb as well as him too, or better (we have a healthy competition going on)

3. Still not 100% satisfied with my appearance now - that's what training is for!

4. Keeps the "black dog" away, or the blues

5. Stress relief

1. Fitness and Health (So I can keep up and be a good role model for my Son and to have a long healthy and abundant life).
2. To learn about the body and to constantly challenge myself to see what can be achieved and what I can achieve (This is a lifestyle choice for me).
3. To look good for my partner and myself.
4. To build strength and also agility to be able to use in everyday life.

Oh yeah, Shrek just prompted me for my fifth point.

5. I AM MASSIVELY ADDICTED!!

I started training to get big and look good. Now I am purely focussed on strength, speed and power. I want to beat the strength athletes in the morning then run rings around the cardio bunnies in the afternoon.

to become fit and healthy the way i was 4 years back...
to look good in clothes... LOL
to be more flexible...
to train up so i wont get injured easily in contact sports...

1- Feel great in the mornings. The day after training I feel the greatest.
2- Self improvement.
3- Better posture
4- Size
5- Two Year Plan to compete in Natural Body Building.