• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
1. To take the emphasis off my fake tan and waxed chest
2. So I can wear a bumbag without being teased
3. So I can grow a rat tail and put blonde highlights in my hair
4. I don't like my neck and want my ears to join straight into my shoulders
5. Because you can never have too much Everlast clothing

Well, they might be some of the negative connotations that Joe Public has of Gym goers, but here is what keeps me coming back time after time:

1. I get out what I put in - theres no coaches opinions or passengers and no cheating. If you don't work hard, you dont get results
2. Benchmarks - theres no better feeling than meeting goals you have set, no matter how insignificant. Being able to do 10 successive full dips was a great milestone at the time.
3. Physical Change - I remember the feeling of embarrassment when taking the shirt off at the beach. Not any more kids.
4. Stress relief - I can walk into the gym in the worst mood in the world. When i walk out 2 hours later, I'm as calm as the dalai lama.
5. There is no finish line - You can aim as high as you like, there are no limits. Reach your goals, then set higher ones.

I'm not sure if there is another thread on this, if so can the mods please merge. We all have I think pretty basic reasons for training:
Strength
Appearance
General fitness
Sport specific fitness
Competition
To get the ladies or whatever.

Mine are appearance, strength and general fitness in that order.

However after our session tonight Gauch and I were discussing whether there were any deeper psychological reason as to why we put in so much effort. Gauche had his reasons which were valid ( he can post if he wants to).

Deep down I train because I want to be a strong figure for my kids. I love the fact that I am my sons hero, and would like to think that if god forbid the need ever arose I would be able to use my strength training to protect him. Whether it be a physical attack, preventing an accident or something heavy on him that I need to move I want to know that I could help him. This was apparent tonight when he fell (see my log), I was able to pick him up easily and carry him up the stairs and hold him in my arms whole standing for a good couple of minutes. I dare say a lot of dads would struggle with this. Also when he is a teen I don't want to be a big fat dad drinking beer and yelling and carrying on while he is playing sport. I see this alot and it's a shit look.

My question is: do you have reasons beside the obvious listed above as to why you train?

Hopefully, if I get in, my job will require me to be fit and strong. It should also make it safer. The best way I know how to accomplish this is to lift heavy.

I also like being bigger than others. :p

I grew up playing sport. I love it, its part of my life. I don't feel complete without doing some physical exercise, whether its footy, martial arts or now PL.
I sometimes think "yeah i wanna look good for the beach" or "yeah i wanna be big" but overall its just a custom for me. I hope it stays that way.

great thread.

Hey,
I train just because its somewhere I can forget everything, and for those hours, just me music, and iron. sounds wierd but yeh i like it.
+ and i want to compete naturally before turning 20 (Im 18),
cheers

I train for strength and appearance, leaning very slightly towards appearance. I would not want to look like Paul Anderson even if it would mean I had his strength and I would be embarrased to look like Arnold and be out lifted by someone of my current strength level.

I want to be able to hurt people and the power that comes with that ability.

If you want to be able to hurt people then your lifting weights for the wrong reason. Go learn how to fight, you can be as strong as you want, your still going to get your ass whipped by an experienced fighter if you dont know what your doing eg. Mariustz Pudzianowski's attempt at an MMA career.

My reason as Matt stated was fear. It's nit the actually reason why I train but deep down I'm scarred of getting fat again so I train. That what keeps me motivated.

As far as what I actually train for I would say:
1 appearance
2 strength
3 good excuse to use steroids :p

I am surprised no one has put health as number one. The fact you guys think your appearance is more important than good health is absolutely idiotic.

I train to lead a healthy lifestyle and achieve my goals.

You dont have to lift weights to be healthy. My grandad is 87 and he has never lifted weights in his life. I have also never even seen him get a cold. :)

The main reason i started lifting weights was for my appearance and to lose weight. Now that im not a fat fk i lift to get huge. My goal is to have to walk through doors sideways.. :D

Mine are appearance, strength and general fitness in that order.

Deep down I train because I want to be a strong figure for my kids. I love the fact that I am my sons hero, and would like to think that if god forbid the need ever arose I would be able to use my strength training to protect him. Whether it be a physical attack, preventing an accident or something heavy on him that I need to move I want to know that I could help him. This was apparent tonight when he fell (see my log), I was able to pick him up easily and carry him up the stairs and hold him in my arms whole standing for a good couple of minutes. I dare say a lot of dads would struggle with this. Also when he is a teen I don't want to be a big fat dad drinking beer and yelling and carrying on while he is playing sport. I see this alot and it's a shit look.

My question is: do you have reasons beside the obvious listed above as to why you train?

im the same as that appearance, strength and general fitness plus also being different to everyone else. but as you wrote with as being a hero to kids i think that to. i dont have kids or anything but i dont want to be in a situation where i was helpless. as in if a friend was stuck under a big log or whatever i would want to rescue/help that person and i wouldnt want to fail just because i was weak. obviously if its a massive tree id never move it but if it was something that could be lifted id want to lift it.
theres more but couldnt be bothered typing but its similar to Matt77.

For me in order from most to least.

Strength - Sport specific fitness (Powerlifting, Competition)
Appearance - To get the ladies
General fitness not sure if i rate this over appearance

I train for strength and appearance, leaning very slightly towards appearance. I would not want to look like Paul Anderson even if it would mean I had his strength and I would be embarrased to look like Arnold and be out lifted by someone of my current strength level.

If you want to be able to hurt people then your lifting weights for the wrong reason. Go learn how to fight, you can be as strong as you want, your still going to get your ass whipped by an experienced fighter if you dont know what your doing eg. Mariustz Pudzianowski's attempt at an MMA career.

So true ^ ^ being big say 110kg or more, it dosn't mean shit, if your into MMA and K1 you would know what I mean, bob sapp vs cro crop, actually bob sapp in general lol, if you don't have any sort of fight training (boxing,mma,bjj) a guy who has been doing a martial art as long as you have been lifting will actually kick your ass

How often on a Saturday night do you see a guy getting laid up by a guy that looks like he's a mma fighter? Lol it usually comes down to strength and luck.