• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Compound excercises

jon

Compound exercises are exercises that target and workout a complete group of muscles rather than just working out a single muscle by itself .Doing compound excercises saves you time in the gym and they also stimulat a huge amount of muscle fibres. One example of a compound excercise is a sqat. A squat is a great excercise it targets your quadriceps,glutes, hamstring, calves, and lower back. So as you can it workouts a huge area
Other compound exercises are:
Squats
Lunges
Deadlifts
Push-ups
Dips
Bench presses
Pull-ups
Dumbbell rows
Shoulder presses
Leg presses

bicep curls as a compound movement, work on the bicep, side deltoid, rear delt, back muscles and fore-arms

Bicep curls work the bicep brachii, brachialis, brachioradialis, and anterior deltoid. Period.

Now in simple english, that means biceps, front delts, and a small part of the forearms.

No side delts, no rear delts and definitely no back muscles involved here. Unless you're confusing the stabilising muscles as opposed to the primary movers. Then that calls for another post altogether.

Fadi.

Now in simple english, that means biceps, front delts, and a small part of the forearms.

not forgetting, the abdominal walls, to keep yourself sitting / standing up straight.

I'm not trying to be **** , i just want to point out, that very few exercises ONLY work out a muscle group, ie the bicep...in this instance, you've said yourself the bicep curl works the bicep, front delt, fore arm & abdominals...a set of muscles

Last edited by a moderator:
power builder you are correct to a point but i think fadi was just refering to the targeted muscles, all exercises require stabilizing muscles... this is just about the targeted muscles.I am positive your abs will never give out while doing bicep curls!

I belieive however that lying incline db bicep curls are the best, as they stretch the two major muscles to a maximum range, while you are doing teh exercise, over the maximum range of motion. Because you are lying the core strength is mostly negated as your body is fully supported by the bench.

Also even if standing your core remians tight, but it is not, "getting a workout" maybe if you are doing bw military presses it is getting a blast.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be ******
Did you just call me that? Make yourself clear please because as things stand right now, I'm the least impressed.

Fadi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe PowerBuilder means the curls where you rock yourself back so you can move a weight greater than you can really handle, those use the traps and everything :p

Use bad enough form and everything is a compound exercise!

Maybe PowerBuilder means the curls where you rock yourself back so you can move a weight greater than you can really handle, those use the traps and everything :p

Use bad enough form and everything is a compound exercise!

:D thats the only way i'd call a bicep curl a compound movement

No. Fadi i was not calling you any nasty names. You obviously read it wrong. If i wanted to be mean to you, I'd come out & do it & not hide it

If i wanted to be mean to you, I'd come out & do it & not hide it

Knowing how to couch a criticism in flowery flattering language can be a very useful skill indeed. Unfortunately some of us have not yet mastered the art.

Fadi.