• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

"Diet" #1: A 2200 CALORIE FOOD PLAN

Fadi, I tend to agree with Noobs as well. Being 76kg I have at a minimum 200g of protein a day and usually more like 300g. I know that is more than I need, though it is what comes with the calories I am consuming.

I thought 2g per KG was at least needed for building muscle.

Last edited:
I've linked to this before, but the AIS, who we might expect to know something about building muscle - they helped build Fadi, after all - tell us that,

"In most cases, a high-energy diet that provides 1.2-2g of protein per kilogram of body mass will ensure that protein needs are met. These protein intakes are easily met by consuming a varied diet that meets your energy needs. Consuming protein above this level does not have an anabolic effect. Excess protein will be oxidised as an energy source and may contribute to gains in body fat."​
At 76kg, the 50g over about 150g protein is just turning into fat or being pissed or pooed out, Josh.

Unless you've a personal or family history of kidney disease or gall bladder issues, the extra is unlikely to do you any harm; but nor will it do you any good. So if you get it for free and it makes you happy, keep going. But if you have to pay for that protein, well I'd just have some carbs instead, cheaper and more likely to actually fuel your workouts.

Remember also that this is a 2,200kcal diet, for most active people it'll be a "staying lean" diet, so we expect the pro/fat/car quantities to be (relatively) low. So Josh in bulking you'd be better to look at the 3,800kcal diet to compare to your own.

Last edited:
Basically i thought it was max protien then work out the rest.

THe more protein the more amino acids and the more benefit they have.

for example "L-arginine"

• Precursor for the synthesis of nitric oxide (NO)
  • Stimulation of the release of growth hormone.
  • Improves immune function
  • Reduces healing time of injuries (particularly bone)
  • Quickens repair time of damaged tissue
  • Reduces risk of heart disease
  • Increases muscle mass
  • Reduces adipose tissue body fat
  • Helps improve insulin sensitivity
  • Helps decrease blood pressure
  • Alleviates male infertility, improving sperm production and motility
  • Increases blood circulation throughout the body, including the sex organs
  • Improves reproductive ability
As opposed to sacraficing these for extra carbs that are purly just an energy source.

At the AIS, we encourage athletes to consume a snack providing 1g of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight plus 10-20 g of protein within 30 minutes of finishing training. Suitable snacks are shown below:

80kg Athlete
200g fruit yoghurt + 2 cereal bars
200g fruit yoghurt + cereal bar + 400ml sports drink
200g fruit yoghurt + cereal bar + 250ml juice
200g fruit yoghurt + cereal bar + banana
75g PowerBar Protein Plus Powder in 250ml water + cereal bar
60g PowerBar Protein Plus Powder in 250ml milk + cereal bar
200ml flavoured milk + 2 cereal bars
200ml flavoured milk + cereal bar + 200g fruit yoghurt
200ml flavoured milk + cereal bar + banana
None of that hardly souds optimum too me and im not an expert. It looks to be about as good as the advice on the sides of the kellogs box.

Last edited:
I agree with what you are saying Kyle, I was not comparing my diet to this diet. I was more just looking at the protein content. I passed this diet on to a mate of mine who weighs a bit over 100kg, I told him to have a Protein shake or two with water as he needs more protein than 120g I believe.

You can doubt the AIS, n00bs, but they've produced world-class athletes, and most of those athletes had to build some muscle, many had to build lots. So your doubt should have a very sound basis, not just your gut instinct.

Notice the AIS gives the protein in a range, 1.2-2g. Basically there's a limit to how much your body can process. Some of these limits are individual due to your own levels of testosterone, and some are day-to-day - you need carbs to help process proteins, when you're tired from poor sleep you don't process stuff as well, for women their monthly cycle affects protein absorption, and so on.

That's why it's a range. If a 100kg guy taking 120g protein daily ups it to 180g, it doesn't follow necessarily that the extra 60g will be used, he might just piss and poo it out. If he takes 80g one day he's not going to start shrinking, and having 240g the next day won't balance things out. If he takes over 200g he'll definitely excrete it.

The human body is not a machine that follows precise rules and burns 10.26 litre per 100km, or whatever. It requires a mix of fuels, and the mix doesn't have to be precisely figured out except for athletes at the extremes, like people competing in the Olympics or bodybuilders a month before a competition.

Carbs and fat aren't "purely an energy source." You require bodyfat to be able to store certain "fat soluble" vitamins, and bodyfat is most easily made from fats, secondarily from carbs. Carbs help in the absorption of proteins, as I noted above. Without carbs there can be little or no fibre, and without fibre you can't digest your food properly, and will be uncomfortable in the toilet.

All you can do with a diet like this is try it out for a few weeks and see how you go. If it changes your physique and energy and health and you like the changes, stick with it; if you dislike some of the changes, adjust or bin it.

Last edited:
I never mentioned fats... And the needs for fiber is no doubt important..

I suppose the way i see it is eat lots of fruit veg forget rice pasta and bread and eat **** loads of meat natural fats and fish?

I'm still pretty in surprised that n00bs doubted the AIS. The premier sports body in Australia. That's like...i dunno what it's like....haha

i dont think he doubted them, just questioned them. theres a difference. anyway what they are suggesting post workout doesnt sound that optimum to me either to be honest.

i mean who has a big M, nutri grain bar and a yoplait as their post workout?? obviosly it works as they pump out world class athletes on a daily basis!

Last edited:
i dont think he doubted them, just questioned them. theres a difference. anyway what they are suggesting post workout doesnt sound that optimum to me either to be honest.

i mean who has a big M, nutri grain bar and a yoplait as their post workout??

What are they suggesting? I have no idea to be honest. Protein requirements vary from study to study. You can go from 2g/kg to 2.75/kg according to some. It's always best to try and find out what you feel great on.

For example; I feel great when I have 5 raw eggs mixed in with my favourite juice. Has anyone here got any idea how bad that can look to someone else who doesn't do it?

Diets can be very individualised according to one's needs and preference. By putting up few of my "diets" on the forum, I hoped to provide a base from which to take off from. We do that by modifying here and there until we get it just right for one's needs.

Nothing is set in stone here and nothing that can not be improved upon. Period!

Fadi.

Post work out nutrition reccomendation.

You tell me if that looks optimum.

Noobs, I see and respect your point that's why I took the time to write what I did. Again I see your point and would agree that we're not all the same and what may seem or be optimum for one; would/could be very inappropriate for another.

Now, can you see my point?

Cheers mate.

Fadi.

Coach, in reference to this diet, how would the figures (if any) change for me, who's tipping the scales at 67-68kg's ? I found a place i can get Oatmass!!!!!!!!!!

Yes i understand fadi...

Listen to your body.

If i dont eat enough i find my body is in pain post workout .. I have done this on purpose a few times.

I just dont think people should accept things because XYW said so. So the AIS said to have that post workout. It does not make that the most optimum or the best.

Coach, in reference to this diet, how would the figures (if any) change for me, who's tipping the scales at 67-68kg's ? I found a place i can get Oatmass!!!!!!!!!!

PowerBuilder,

First try it out for a week and guage what happens. It may be too little to feed your current lifestyle (training/other activities etc); or it may too much (which I doubt). So only you will be ablt to tell. 2200/2800 is about average of what people usually consume. In other words it's not an extrem type of calories here; 5000-7000 or so. I think I've put up a 4000 calorie testesterone boosting "diet" here, haven't I?

Oatmass is $14:95/kg just so you know. I don't want my friend to get ripped off.

Fadi.

Yes i understand fadi...

Listen to your body.

If i dont eat enough i find my body is in pain post workout .. I have done this on purpose a few times.

I just dont think people should accept things because XYW said so. So the AIS said to have that post workout. It does not make that the most optimum or the best.

I'm on the same wave length noobs. But even if you look at the AIS protein recommendations as Kyle has put up; they similar to what I've put up in the sense that both recommendations provide one with a range instead of saying: 1g/kg and never any more than that. So it's all good I say.

Fadi.

You don't have to accept what the AIS says just because they say so. You have to accept what they say because of the results they achieve. The AIS has built a lot of muscle. Consider what results have been achieved by other authorities you care to listen to.

Last edited:
You don't have to accept what the AIS says just because they say so. You have to accept what they say because of the results they achieve. The AIS has built a lot of muscle. Consider what results have been achieved by other authorities you care to listen to.

theres plenty of other sporting asociations around the world, im sure they wouldnt all recommend the exact same thing as the AIS. i reckon what they are suggesting on the website is a good all around post workout snack for "athletes" not one aimed specifically at bodybuilders or weightlifters which is what most people on this site are here for.