• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

"Diet" #1: A 2200 CALORIE FOOD PLAN

Fadi, so much wisdom, if anything, too much for my novice brain to comprehend at once.

I would love to personally pick your brain sometime.

Eating & nutrition is currently one of the (main) things that I am struggling to wrap my head around. I am looking to put on some size, approx 10 - 15kg's to start with, but must learn to crawl first, then walk.

Currently weigh approx 68kg, down from a peak of 120kg. I've just joined up at my local gym, and have been given a 3 day split program to go on. Not sure how good or bad it is, but I guess it's a start.

I seem to be going around in circles at the moment. This whole 'eating to put on weight' is new to me. :D

-Rob.

Mate if you just starting out, I would ditch the split, Stick with the begginer program in the sticky, And eat at 10- 15% over your maintanace.

sounds simple huh? Ive learnt its best not to over complicate things.

Okay. I assume you mean something like this?

And in regards to calculating my maintenance to begin with, is there something on here you could quicklink me to? I'm at work, and as much as I am trying to browse around the pages, I will more than likely have missed it. Structure of my meals, what and when to eat, and how much -- these are all things that I'm currently stumped with.

My mind is like a sponge at the moment, I am willing to absorb any information I'm given. I'll continue to browse these pages any chance I get. This community is a gold mine of knowledge to me.

-Rob.

Okay. I assume you mean something like this?

And in regards to calculating my maintenance to begin with, is there something on here you could quicklink me to? I'm at work, and as much as I am trying to browse around the pages, I will more than likely have missed it. Structure of my meals, what and when to eat, and how much -- these are all things that I'm currently stumped with.

My mind is like a sponge at the moment, I am willing to absorb any information I'm given. I'll continue to browse these pages any chance I get. This community is a gold mine of knowledge to me.

-Rob.

Hi Rob,

You can calculate your caloric intake using sophisticated ways, or you can do it the rough and uncomplicated way by following this:

Fat loss = 26 calories per kg. of bodyweight
Maintenance = 33 calories per kg. of bodyweight
Weight gain = 40 calories per kg. of bodyweight

No, it doesn't take everything into consideration, but one thing for sure, it's as accurate as your off the mark scale. What do I mean by that? I mean, if your scale at home is (say) 5kg out, but you only weigh yourself on it and only on it, then you would know if your bodyweight is increasing or decreasing, irrespective of its accuracy.

Stick with a particular number from the above then gauge how you feel in order to make adjustment, by either increasing or decreasing calories. The above is basically a point from where you can launch and nothing more really.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thanks, once again, Fadi.

So using your above formula, this would mean that I would roughly need to up my intake to approx 2,720cal (68kg x 40cal).

So now that I've got that magical number down, the next part is the real challenge. The food intake, what, when & how (much). I have gone through your 2,200cal plan quite a few times, however there is still something that I feel I'm missing....

I'll apologize now in advance, for any future questions I ask. I'm sure you've had to answer them dozens of times. I have many questions in my head, but can't find the right words to communicate them.

-Rob.

Also; in the formulas above, you list the first and third in KG, and the second in LB. Is this correct?

You're welcome.
So using your above formula, this would mean that I would roughly need to up my intake to approx 2,720cal (68kg x 40cal).
Correct.
what, when & how (much).
Real food, when you're hungry, and stop before you stuff yoursef so much that you can't breath.
I have many questions in my head, but can't find the right words to communicate them.
You may be overthinking the most natural thing that comes to a human mind. But then again, I do not place the blame on you so much, since there's so much misinformation about what constitute real healthy food out there. For the most part of my eating, I am a nutritarian. That is, I focus first and foremost on the micro nuttients before I look at the macros, i.e. Fats, Proteins, and Carbs. Is that how bodybuilders approach their diet? No. They first and foremost think about the macro nutrient that is protein, then they work out what they need after that to arrive at their desired caloric count. Does what I've just written fly in the face of how bodybuilders view and approach eating? You bet! Hence, I'd rather leave the diet advice to someone who wishes to speak about it from a conducive muscle building point of view.
Also; in the formulas above, you list the first and third in KG, and the second in LB. Is this correct?
It was an error which I have corrected, thank you Rob.

Fadi.

So now that I've got that magical number down, the next part is the real challenge. The food intake, what, when & how (much). I have gone through your 2,200cal plan quite a few times, however there is still something that I feel I'm missing....

I'll apologize now in advance, for any future questions I ask. I'm sure you've had to answer them dozens of times. I have many questions in my head, but can't find the right words to communicate them.

-Rob.

Now you have your rough cal intake guide, Get something like my fitness pal. Custom your macros. Usually 2g Protien per KG body weight, 1.7 G fat. ( i think) and the rest carbs.

Start logging everything you eat, You will soon learn what you need to eat to hit your macros. You will usually find your undereating alot.

Calorie dense foods like olive oil, natrual PB, nuts are good for added calories and great fat source.

Vegies with everymeal....And meat meat meat...All sorts.

Best advice...Weight your food on scales so you know waht your eating.

Get a good WPC. a couple scoops a day and you will be on a great start.

One more word of advice. Be consistant....Its been my biggest let down.

P.s weight your self every 3 weeks, and ajust intake, Add more if your not gaining, Add less if your gaining fat to fast.

Can I just clarify two questions if I want to use the formula above to calculate my calorific needs for the day for fat loss, eg 26 x 77 = 2002 cal:

1) Does this means I can eat 2002 cal of whatever I like as long as it adds up to 2002?

2) If I do a workout that equals 700 cal expenditure (according to my heart rate monitor), do I then have to add this 700 to 2002, ie 2702?

If I do a workout and then go for a jog afterwards, I can burn up to 1600 cal. Eating just 2002 will make me pretty hungry by bed time!

Can I just clarify two questions if I want to use the formula above to calculate my calorific needs for the day for fat loss, eg 26 x 77 = 2002 cal:

1) Does this means I can eat 2002 cal of whatever I like as long as it adds up to 2002?

2) If I do a workout that equals 700 cal expenditure (according to my heart rate monitor), do I then have to add this 700 to 2002, ie 2702?

If I do a workout and then go for a jog afterwards, I can burn up to 1600 cal. Eating just 2002 will make me pretty hungry by bed time!

1) No, See the MINIMUM requirements, Usually Protine 2g per kg. 1 gram = 4 calories FAT has minimum requirement. Read through this thread its mentioned many times. 1 G fat = 9 calories, Then your Left with Carbs, There is no minimum. So fill the rest of your calories with carbs 1 Gram = 4 calories.

No short answer No you cant eat whatever you like. Hit minimum marcos then fill the rest with whatever you like.

2) Depends what you are trying to do, But exersise expenditure should be indluced in the calculation to begin with, Exersise as you like then ajust up and down untill your loosing or gaining at a steady rate.

Wow Fadi after reading all this my head is about to explode. and looking through it all I can see why im so lethargic most days ans conserve my energy for the gym going on 26cal per kilo to lose weight im around 1000cal below what i should be eating... but do i distribute it evenly or do i fill out small meals and snacks?

ive spent years running on one or two meals a day and this 3 meals plus snacking i struggle to finish a meal without wanting a power nap lol

ive recently noticed a huge bump in my lift capacity after knocking off around 30kg on almost pure weight training and light cardio (walking 4 kilometers to work and 4 back) and fell into the trap of pre workouts with 1.3d that i have been cycling with a less stim based pre workout and i even tried oxyelite pro which i loved the boost in energy for the day but it made it even harder to get down even small amounts of food without wanting to hibernate

lol Monstar, Fadi's been on extended leave of absence for a little while. Maybe some of the guys on the boards can help you with suggested food plans & meals.

Everyone does things slightly differently & varied things work for different people. If you're already struggling to eat what you posted, you may have to think about ways to make your meals more calorie intense, rather than adding anymore meals?

Some of the boys eat 5+ meals a day.
Some eat 3 standard & supplement with shakes on top of that.
Some follow the Lean Gains method

There are indeed a million ways to eat, you just have to find the one your body responds to best?

Congratulations on your weightloss! Terrific effort!

Did you read the Max Brenner Sticky's? There's ratio's for amounts of protein for a man of your size etc, I'm fairly certain if you increased protein portions to what you're body requires, you'd make up alot of those missing calories?

Bazza is great at eating calorie dense food & has a magnifique physique! Hopefully he can chime in & assist you in some way too!

Keep reading up Monstar, you have a heavy workout structure, your body needs those missing calories to be able to adequately function. You have to feed the furnace, if you want to start a fire ;)

Wow Fadi after reading all this my head is about to explode. and looking through it all I can see why im so lethargic most days ans conserve my energy for the gym going on 26cal per kilo to lose weight im around 1000cal below what i should be eating... but do i distribute it evenly or do i fill out small meals and snacks?

ive spent years running on one or two meals a day and this 3 meals plus snacking i struggle to finish a meal without wanting a power nap lol

ive recently noticed a huge bump in my lift capacity after knocking off around 30kg on almost pure weight training and light cardio (walking 4 kilometers to work and 4 back) and fell into the trap of pre workouts with 1.3d that i have been cycling with a less stim based pre workout and i even tried oxyelite pro which i loved the boost in energy for the day but it made it even harder to get down even small amounts of food without wanting to hibernate

Aslong as you eat the min required in a 24 hour period it does not matter, Weather you eat all you calories in 1 single meal, Or 20, What ever suits you best,

Aslong as you eat the min required in a 24 hour period it does not matter, Weather you eat all you calories in 1 single meal, Or 20, What ever suits you best,

Even then 24hrs is just because that is what's easiest for us to measure :)

Having trouble getting the cals in:

Hit min macros then

Sanitarium_Natur_4dce2327c337f.jpg

ist2_2890967_spoon.jpg

Hi all, I have just joined this forum after lurking over the weekend. I have decided it's time to get fit again! I left the army 10 years ago and have progressively put on 20kg.

I am 33 and 98kg 173cm :( not ideal, when I left the army at 8o kg and good all round fitness.

I have jumped on this 2200 cal diet and seems it is more than what I am used to eating, so I hope that I was just not eating enough before.

I am following the training regime and just using my small gym in my estate ( a few machines but covers all the muscle groups) if I see results after 2 months, then I will join a proper gym and purchase a road bike for some long cardio rides.

I am training Mon/Wed/Fri and Burpees Tue/Thur - currently can only hit 40 burpees :( hopefully that will increase to 100 over the next few weeks.

I have not seen any reply to this thread for some time, is this still a great beginner program? Is this diet still suitable?

I have ordered some WPI and Oatmass online and that should arrive in the next week or so which will make hitting the calories easier - especially the Pre and Post WO drinks.

Looking forward to some quick gains and improving my appearance :)

Hi all, I have just joined this forum after lurking over the weekend. I have decided it's time to get fit again! I left the army 10 years ago and have progressively put on 20kg.

I am 33 and 98kg 173cm :( not ideal, when I left the army at 8o kg and good all round fitness.

I have jumped on this 2200 cal diet and seems it is more than what I am used to eating, so I hope that I was just not eating enough before.

I am following the training regime and just using my small gym in my estate ( a few machines but covers all the muscle groups) if I see results after 2 months, then I will join a proper gym and purchase a road bike for some long cardio rides.

I am training Mon/Wed/Fri and Burpees Tue/Thur - currently can only hit 40 burpees :( hopefully that will increase to 100 over the next few weeks.

I have not seen any reply to this thread for some time, is this still a great beginner program? Is this diet still suitable?

I have ordered some WPI and Oatmass online and that should arrive in the next week or so which will make hitting the calories easier - especially the Pre and Post WO drinks.

Looking forward to some quick gains and improving my appearance :)
welcome to the dungeon.
Good luck with the diet.

I thought I'd rather bump this thread than the 3200 cals one, as it's a few years old.

I am 5'11", 78kgs. Body fat estimate is probably 18-20%.

My goal is to build strength and mass, I have always been small framed. I was about 73 kgs when I started.

I calculated my calories needed as about 3150.

I worked it out to be roughly 170-200g protein, 88g fat, 388g carbs.

Seem to be getting a bit of a gut and the rate of growth is too fast, so I will cut it back about 200 calories.

I'm naturally quite skinny, but I think my bf% would be around 19, this feels a bit high and I definitely don't want this to increase too much. How long should I bulk for, I'd be looking at maybe 85-88kgs then start cutting, although I'd prefer to put on as little fat as possible.

Any suggestions? I can post a moc of my diet up if that helps a bit more.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey Kramer how did you come to 3200 calories? Your stats is similar to mine yet I calculated 2300 calories for bulking. Maybe your calorie count is too high? BTW my stats is 5' 11" 72.5 kgs 20% bf 40 years old

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk