• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] When a final knockout is needed for stubborn fat...

Fadi

Ok, so you’ve been slugging it out in the ring for 10 whole rounds. The other guy’s face looks like a squashed tomato; but he still won’t go down! A final knockout punch is needed to finish the job and collect the million bucks.

When you’ve reduced your weight down immensely but still can’t see the abs slab, you may need something other than green tea extract and whatever made your metabolism faster in the beginning.

You may need an estrogen hormone regulater.

There are several drugs on the market that will take care of reducing estrogen, whilst others can go all the way to eliminating all estrogen from the body; not a smart thing to do. However, I won’t be dealing with the drug side of it but rather the natural side. So here goes...

Now remember this before we delve in deeper: fat cells are the primary source of estrogen, and the estrogen produced by fat cells is called estradiol. Estradiol production is very dependent on aromatase. Inhibiting aromatase IS a very effective way to reduce estrogen levels.

ZINC:
Zinc is necessary to maintain normal serum testosterone. Inadequate zinc levels prevent the pituitary gland from releasing luteinizing and follicle stimulating hormones, which stimulate testosterone production. Zinc also inhibits the aromatase enzyme that allows conversion of testosterone into excess estrogen. One reason for the progressive weight gain with age is that fat cells contain aromatase. More fat cells mean more estrogen which means more fat deposition. This is further aggravated by alcohol consumption, which lowers zinc and increases estrogen, and so magnifies the problem.

As far as which brand to buy, I buy the cheapest brand on the market because I see no point in getting ripped off for purchasing the same thing. It’s by Cenovis, from your local supermarket store, woolies etc...for $7 or so. It comes in 25mg/tab, no need to take more than that because with zinc, it can become a case of too much of a good thing. Also, you have it on full stomach. If you want to go all natural, then Oysters are by far the king of all food when it comes to zinc at approximately 40mg/100g raw or 90mg/100g canned. It would be wise to take 1mg of copper to balance the 25mg of zinc tablet whenever you are on a prolonged zinc intake.

THE ASPIRIN CONNECTION:
Ok, I can hear you say, but he said no drugs mum! Well just this one. This is not a recommendation, so please check with your doctor before embarking on aspirin. At 1 aspirin a day, you can help stop the production of estrogen through the prostaglandin pathway. Prostaglandins are used by the body to manufacture estrogen – aspirin inhibits prostaglandins production. It won't totally stop production, but can be used as a very simple and inexpensive part of an anti-estrogen regimen. A natural alternative to aspirin would be White Willow:

http://www.iherb.com/White-Willow-Standardized-60-Capsules/2058?at=0

DIINDOLYMETHANE: D...what?!!!
DIM is a phytonutrient found in cruciferous vegetables including broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and kale.
Supplementing with Dim can help overcome the need to eat 3 pounds of broccoli per day and can effectively shift the balance of sex hormones. Taking DIM not only promotes healthy estrogen metabolism, it can also promote a more desirable action from testosterone. “Testosterone supports energy and mood and helps sustain interest in sex for both men and women”, according to Dr. Zeligs, M.D., co-author of the “All About DIM” book.

Dim is not only beneficial in reducing symptoms of estrogen dominance in women such as, fibroid tumors, fibrocystic breasts, endometriosis, breast pain, moodiness, and loss of sex drive, it can also benefit men by improving estrogen-dominance related health issues such as hair loss, atherosclerosis, prostate problems, lowered libido, man boobs, and impotency.

DIM works by promoting more “free” testosterone that can help maximize the body’s response to weight training and dramatically changes the fat-burning ability of men. When a man is estrogen dominant, the body produces a protein that testosterone can bind to, and then it is no longer considered to be in its “free” beneficial form; bound testosterone can have undesirable effects similar to that of excess estrogen. For example, low libido, excess weight gain, impotence, and depression.

DIM has been shown to help reduce excess estrogen levels that lead to symptoms that are associated with estrogen domiance and fibromyalgia. For example:

Joint and muscle pain
Sleep disturbances
Migraine headaches
Memory loss
Foggy thinking
Depression

http://www.iherb.com/DIM-Plus-Estrogen-Metabolism-Formula-120-Capsules/4117?at=0

http://www.energeticnutrition.com/books/all-about-dim.html

Avoid estrogen precursors such as plastic bottles.

The reason I’m mentioning this brand in particular is because it’s the brand I’ve used to prevent gynecomastia, (a condition where excess testosterone can aromatise into estrogen at the nipple area). I also ordered it for someone whose aim was to loose fat around the midsection area. It worked for both of us.

Here's another player for you: Stinging Nettle Root.

SHBG, have you heard of it? It’s another way the male body protects itself from too much testosterone. Testosterone attaches itself to this protein called Sex Hormone Binding Globulin and therefore becomes bound rather than free. What we want to do is free it so it can help us build some muscles. Is there something out there that has the access key to perform that magical act for us? You bet there is, and it comes in the form of a herb called stinging nettle root. Root and NOT leaf; that is used for something else. Nettle root attaches itself to the SHBG protein and by doing so, prevents testosterone from binding, hence freeing it to muscle us up. Please note that I’m simplifying this for the purpose of the forum. It’s up to you the reader to now go and do your bit by investigating this herb. Unfortunately nettle ROOT can only be obtained from the US. Let me know when you decide (if you decide) to purchase it and I’ll point you in the right direction.

The second thing that this herb does for us is it exerts its effect on testosterone by stopping its conversion into dihydrotestosterone.This effect of nettle root on DHT levels has made it a treatment for hair loss, as male pattern balding has often been linked to an excess of DHT, as has hair loss in women too. As bodybuilders and weightlifters, we do not want to get rid of or stop the conversion process completely. Why? Because DHT is an essential element for muscle growth. It’s only when it is found in excess that we begin to see and suffer its negative symptoms (oily skin, pimples, loss/thinning of hair and BPH- Benign prostatic hyperplasia etc)

A DHT injection (which is NOT something a bodybuilder would want to take in my opinion) plays its positive part in the neuromuscular department. Many of the strength related effects of testosterone and other steroids are due to neuromuscular stimulation by way of DHT. It will allow for dramatic strength increases over a short period of time. Combined with the fact that it cannot aromatise into estrogen, makes DHT a winner for Olympic weightlifters trying to make a weight class. The weight gain is minimal, and all of it muscle, and your strength shoots through the roof.

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/steroid-profiles/dihydrotestosterone.htm

Fadi.

thanks man.
Interesting info.

So does DHT actually help in muscle growth? Because I heard it's more potent than normal testosterone but doesn't bind to androgen receptors in the muscles.

BoyFromAus,
Thank you for your question. For the purpose of this post, testosterone is the primary active androgen in muscles. However, both testosterone and DHT bind to identical androgen receptors on their target cells. Whilst testosterone exerts its anabolic effect on muscles, DHT exerts its effect on androgen receptors that deal with male-pattern balding and the sebaceous glands (oily skin/pimples etc). That is not to say that DHT has zero anabolic effects on muscle growth, it's just not the drug of choice if building muscle is your goal.

Let's not turn this forum into a drug forum okay...

Fadi.

Strong for its specific targeted receptors (which are not muscles). Again, I'm generalising here. So yes you're right.

Fadi.

After reading your post, looked into DIM online. Someone mentioned it shouldn't be taken at the same time as caffeine. Is this correct?

I always take zinc, just because it is great for your skin and overall immune system and was thinking of aspirine because I have poor circulation and it can help with this.

After reading your post, looked into DIM online. Someone mentioned it shouldn't be taken at the same time as caffeine. Is this correct?

Not sure about that Bree and I haven't heard or read it. In fact some supplement manufactures include the two ingredients in question here in the same capsule. That doesn't mean it's right, but it would mean a total waste of money and results if one was going to cancel the effect of the other.

Fadi.

Can you really only get nettle root from the states?

I also thought the plastic bottle thing was a myth. What do you use instead? (Don't say a glass lol, I need something that can safely and securely transport the water too)

Can you really only get nettle root from the states?

I also thought the plastic bottle thing was a myth. What do you use instead? (Don't say a glass lol, I need something that can safely and securely transport the water too)

Not all plastic bottles are created equal. Some are very thin and some already have that plasticy taste to their water content. Stay away from these as there could be a risk from estrogen contamination.

Never never apply heat or buy water bottles that you know have been standing in the sun.

When buying milk (if you drink milk), buy it in carton containers and not plastic. In the old days the dairy industry used to use formaldehyde in place of pasteurisation because formaldehyde coagulates protein and denies putrefactive bacteria a growth medium. That's the chemical they use on dead people by the way aka embalming fluid, (my apologies to anyone eating). A trace of the formaldehyde in the plastic leaches into the milk and you ingest it when you drink the milk.

http://www.worldhealth.net/news/are_you_drinking_water_from_a_plastic_bo

Fadi.

great reading Fadi, Looks like i might have to organsie some Zinc, Asprin and Dim.

Fadi, when to take the Aspirin? Do we take it before bed?

I see no problem there Rasika. It may make you a little warmer but it's not a stimulant.

Always check with your doctor if you're planning on taking aspirin long term. It’s always advisable to get a professional opinion from a Doctor who knows your history.

Fadi.

Very very interesting, I'm going to google DIM a little later. I already take 1/2 a tab of aspirin, for circulation. And I remember my mum making me take Zinc for oily skin and pimples, long time ago. Think I'll get some more.

I don't think you mentioned the doseage or when to take Dim, I've not heard of it before except as comp mem, lol.

So if you dont mind, how much and when?

Cheers
Mike.

Very very interesting, I'm going to google DIM a little later. I already take 1/2 a tab of aspirin, for circulation. And I remember my mum making me take Zinc for oily skin and pimples, long time ago. Think I'll get some more.

I don't think you mentioned the doseage or when to take Dim, I've not heard of it before except as comp mem, lol.

So if you dont mind, how much and when?

Cheers
Mike.

Thank you Mike. Although the manufacturer recommends the following:
"Take 2 capsules twice daily with food." I'd take 1 capsule twice daily with food and the reason for taking this decision Mike is the fact that I'm going to be combining zinc, aspirin AND dim. So as you can see, a synergistic effect would have to occur somewhere down the line. The product I'm recommending was the product that I decided on after doing some research, if you can find something better, then by all means go there.

http://www.iherb.com/DIM-Plus-Estrogen-Metabolism-Formula-120-Capsules/4117?at=0

Fadi.

Thanks for the info Fadi, I have another question if you don't mind.

1x Zinc tab 25mg and 1 cap Dim with breakfast
Your, Green tea, coffee and 1/2 tab aspirin with lunch
Green tea, coffe and 1/2 aspirin and 1 cap Dim with dinner

Total of 2 x dim 2 x tea 1 x Zinc and 1 x Aspirin per day. Is that the sort of thing you you had in mind?

Cheers
Mike.

Thanks for the info Fadi, I have another question if you don't mind.

1x Zinc tab 25mg and 1 cap Dim with breakfast
Your, Green tea, coffee and 1/2 tab aspirin with lunch
Green tea, coffe and 1/2 aspirin and 1 cap Dim with dinner

Total of 2 x dim 2 x tea 1 x Zinc and 1 x Aspirin per day. Is that the sort of thing you you had in mind?

Cheers
Mike.

Looks fine to me Mike. Please insure zinc is taken when your stomach has food in it. If you like green tea (and there are so many flavours these days) then don't be shy and dig right in, it's great for you in every way. As the evening hours approach, please be aware of the small amount of caffeine in tea (if not decaf) that may give you less than optimum sleep pattern. Otherwise, all's fine my friend.

PS: Mike, you'd be glad to know that because of you and the misunderstanding you and I had before, now I'm an avid user of those "icons" we have at our disposal here. Thanks a million my friend...
:)

Fadi.