• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] When a final knockout is needed for stubborn fat...

Thats it, I just purchased a couple of stainless steel drink bottles to replace my plastic sports bottle!

I have noticed a plastic taste if water is left sitting in them for too long. Also if I used them for a flavoured drink the flavour tends to hang around in the bottle and I can taste it for a long time afterwards. I never buy bottled drinks(just beer in glass) but I do use my sports drink bottle a lot!

Though I wonder what sort of issues stainless steel containers have?

Last edited:
Yeah plastic bottles can be abit dodgy. I work for a major drink manufacturer here and one of the products bottled is water. I am their truck driver and have to pick up the plastic bottles from the manufacturer about a week before they will be used so they can cure, otherwise chemicals can leech into the final product. Still a bit sketchy if you ask me. The smaller preform bottles that most companies use are different again, they are like a small version of the big product, heated and blown into shape on the line, then filled, so who knows what chemicals will come through.

This was discussed in this thread,
http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/8510-plastic-glass-containers.html

Read the story in the link and make up your mind.I don`t use plastic in the micro wave,with boiling water etc. just to be on the safe side but don`t believe something just because you heard it.Make up your own mind.
As this article states the only study that was supposedly done wasn`t and I haven`t seen any studies published.

I believe it is possible but i have never seen proof.
If anyone remembers that whole story about plastic baby bottles bleeding toxins when being heated,it has been debunked.All the info was crap.the study was never done as claimed and the supposed uni that did the research didn`t exist.
But,as I said, it sounds more than possible so I wouldn`t discount it.

Edit; found it

'Toxic' plastics by-product of poisoned pen › Dr Karl's Great Moments In Science (ABC Science)

Though I wonder what sort of issues stainless steel containers have?

None really - except that it isnt flexible! SS is used in lots of applications for food storage, and processing - especially in the food industry(a lot of wine producers and basically all milk processing now uses stainless steel vats and storage). Its also used for medical/surgical instruments. Its non leeching and toxic free, and lasts for centuries so supposedly better for the environment too(no need to replace them!). It doesn't retain flavours or smells.

This was discussed in this thread,
http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/8510-plastic-glass-containers.html

Read the story in the link and make up your mind.I don`t use plastic in the micro wave,with boiling water etc. just to be on the safe side but don`t believe something just because you heard it.Make up your own mind.
As this article states the only study that was supposedly done wasn`t and I haven`t seen any studies published.

There have been a lot of studies if you search - the well known one about dioxins was found to be false, but we're talking BPA and other chemicals that leech out of plastics which is different.

This article is interesting:

Q&A: Bisphenol A and Plastics

I sniffed around the web looking for research on zinc supplementation and impact on menstruation (from the perspective of how much zinc could be too much and potentially interfere with hormonal cycles). It's not scientific but was interesting:

One study found that 83 percent of women were not meeting the very minimum requirements of zinc. This serious deficiency seems to be due, in part, to our culture's fat free mentality.

When women stopped eating meat and eggs because they thought it would raise cholesterol levels, increase heart disease or make them fat, a major zinc problem was created since these foods are excellent sources of zinc.

Zinc is the precursor to progesterone and progesterone is the precursor to other steroid hormones like testosterone, estrogen and essential stress hormones made by the adrenals. I think that is crucial for women to start supplementing their diet with the raw materials the body needs to make hormones...in this case, the need for more zinc. That can come in the form of a vitamin supplement that provides at least 25-50 mg of zinc on a daily basis. It's very hard for vegetarians to get enough zinc. This is also true for those women who may be eating lots of soy products. Soy has shown to block the absorption of zinc and also has high levels of copper which is an antagonist to zinc. Couple that with the Birth Control Pill, the copper IUD and over-dieting which affect adequate zinc levels and it's no surprise that many women are very deficient in zinc. By the way, zinc is also an anti-viral , anti-anxiety and a bone-building mineral.

So a zinc deficiency is not only affecting not hormones but also the immune system as well has preventing osteoporosis. We aren't aware of the importance of zinc because our culture puts such an emphasis on calcium that women miss the importance of zinc. I think we should all be thinking zinc. The highest source of zinc is found in lean red meat, eggs, and pumpkin seed.

Source: Vibes Fitness - The Power of Creating Life Balance

DIM has been shown to help reduce excess estrogen levels that lead to symptoms that are associated with estrogen domiance and fibromyalgia. For example:

Joint and muscle pain
Sleep disturbances
Migraine headaches
Memory loss
Foggy thinking
Depression

http://www.iherb.com/DIM-Plus-Estrogen-Metabolism-Formula-120-Capsules/4117?at=0

The reason I’m mentioning this brand in particular is because it’s the brand I’ve used to prevent gynecomastia, (a condition where excess testosterone can aromatise into estrogen at the nipple area). I also ordered it for someone whose aim was to loose fat around the midsection area. It worked for both of us.
Fadi,

Many thanks. I've ordered a bottle from iherb online. Should be here in a couple of weeks. I suffer from a lot of those symptoms including mild gynecomastia and stubborn midsection fat. I also get migraines, joint pain, memory loss and foggy thinking. That's enough for me to give it a go and see if it helps.

Thanks again,
Mike

The highest source of zinc is found in lean red meat, eggs, and pumpkin seed.

Thank you for this information Mini. If my memory serves me right, I recall that the #1 zinc food is oyster. Oysters are the equivalent to Liver when it comes to the amount of one particular mineral’s quantity. Iron for the liver and zinc for oysters.

Please note also that zinc is so so good that it can get you into deep trouble if you're not careful with its dosage. I remember when I was in my late teens taking 30mg of zinc gluconate and suffering from a suppressed/weakened immune system which manifested itself in me being extremely lethargic because of it. My blood test showed a high count of white blood cells (all trying to fight whatever infection I had at the time). The only thing was that I had no infection but was over doing it in the zinc taking department. Cut back the zinc and within few days my energy level was back to its normal speed. I also learnt from that experience that certain salt carriers are much more efficient in delivering zinc to its targeted area than others. For example I can take 25mgs of zinc amino acid chelate but only 15mgs of zinc gluconate. It’s always a great idea to learn the language your own individual body speaks with you.

PS: Please, I’d be disappointed if I was to be understood in a way that I was somehow underestimating zinc usage or anything of that nature. My aim was simply to highlight that we at times, can have too much of a good thing; and zinc is one of those good “thing” minerals. Thank you.

Fadi.

Fadi, with the Aspirin, can we take it while consuming a relatively high fat?

I'm taking 12 fish oil tablets a day at 1000mg. Amongst that are my egg yolks etc.

Thank you, Fadi. It's always interesting to read research and surveys, but it's infinitely valuable to read how personal experiments turn out. I find the balances in the human body fascinating but confusing at the same time when thinking of adjusting one element and its possible impacts on many others.

A friend and I once tried iodine supplementation to boost our thyroid functions and hence metabolisms to shift some fat. The result was that we both gained weight. The 'free' iodine we were adding to our diets appeared to slow our thyoid function -- fail on the experiment but we learned something in a hands-on way.

Thank you, Fadi. It's always interesting to read research and surveys, but it's infinitely valuable to read how personal experiments turn out. I find the balances in the human body fascinating but confusing at the same time when thinking of adjusting one element and its possible impacts on many others.

A friend and I once tried iodine supplementation to boost our thyroid functions and hence metabolisms to shift some fat. The result was that we both gained weight. The 'free' iodine we were adding to our diets appeared to slow our thyoid function -- fail on the experiment but we learned something in a hands-on way.

Wow, who would have thought!!!? I thank you so much for sharing this info with us Mini. You may have written words small; but their effect was writ larger than large. Thank you Sir.

Fadi.

Fadi, with the Aspirin, can we take it while consuming a relatively high fat?

I'm taking 12 fish oil tablets a day at 1000mg. Amongst that are my egg yolks etc.

No problem there Rasika, egg yolks well, you know they're my favourite of all!

I'd like you to do some research on the benefits of DHA as opposed to EPA please. I stopped taking fish oil altogether and mainly take DHA at about/between 1-2gms a day. I've written about this already and have posted some links also. And no, that does not mean you throw out the fish oil and start panicking. Finish what you've got then go DHA from there on...

Fadi.

No problem there Rasika, egg yolks well, you know they're my favourite of all!

I'd like you to do some research on the benefits of DHA as opposed to EPA please. I stopped taking fish oil altogether and mainly take DHA at about/between 1-2gms a day. I've written about this already and have posted some links also. And no, that does not mean you throw out the fish oil and start panicking. Finish what you've got then go DHA from there on...

Fadi.

thanks for the info Fadi. Ive just read up on EPAs... it seems they thin blood as well as cause other gastro problems like constipation etc.

thanks for the info Fadi. Ive just read up on EPAs... it seems they thin blood as well as cause other gastro problems like constipation etc.

Try immune system suppression Rasika. I like my DHA to exceed my EPA at 6-7:1. If you look at a can of tuna, you may find in a 100gms, 120mgs DHA to 20mgs EPA. This is nature talking now and not some manufacturer.

Fadi.

Last edited:
alright... Thanks Fadi, once again for the great info. I'll finish my supply of fish oil tabs for now, and then move on to DHA supps. But Fadi, at the moment i'm taking 12 fish oil tablets a day... is this an overkill? Because i was reading that too much omega-3 can cause thinning of blood.

I wouldnt be worried about too much fish oil lol...

worrying aobut it is worse for you.

RELAX

i took 3 asprin today to do that exactly, thin blood!

I wouldnt be worried about too much fish oil lol...

worrying aobut it is worse for you.

RELAX

i took 3 asprin today to do that exactly, thin blood!

n00bs, is there a medical reason which is prompting you to take such measures with aspirin usage or...? Sorry if my question is personal my friend, you obviously don't have to answer it. Thank you.

Fadi.

alright... Thanks Fadi, once again for the great info. I'll finish my supply of fish oil tabs for now, and then move on to DHA supps. But Fadi, at the moment i'm taking 12 fish oil tablets a day... is this an overkill? Because i was reading that too much omega-3 can cause thinning of blood.

What you were reading has only giving you half of the message I'm afraid Rasika. It's not simply omega 3 that thins the blood, but rather the epa part of omega 3. Most all the benefits that are attributed to omega 3 are DHA related.

As of now, you're having 2160mgs of epa; I'd cut it by half.

Fadi.

Wow, who would have thought!!!? I thank you so much for sharing this info with us Mini. You may have written words small; but their effect was writ larger than large. Thank you Sir.

Fadi.

Psst, I'm a girl ;). We also conducted Co-Enzyme Q10 experiments but had horrendous nightmares and larger-than-life bowel movements with no noticeable impact on our cycling performance (apart from the negative impact of fatigue having half a dozen dreams a night of being pursued and murdered).

MikeW said:
I also get migraines, joint pain, memory loss and foggy thinking. That's enough for me to give it a go and see if it helps.

Mike, would be fascinating if you post your progress when the DIM arrives.

Psst, I'm a girl ;). We also conducted Co-Enzyme Q10 experiments but had horrendous nightmares and larger-than-life bowel movements with no noticeable impact on our cycling performance (apart from the negative impact of fatigue having half a dozen dreams a night of being pursued and murdered).

Mike, would be fascinating if you post your progress when the DIM arrives.

I'm so sorry Mini; no excuses period.

Fadi.

n00bs, is there a medical reason which is prompting you to take such measures with aspirin usage or...? Sorry if my question is personal my friend, you obviously don't have to answer it. Thank you.

Fadi.

I have seen alot written on it about increasing performence. I needed everything i could to get trhough squats bench and deads yesterday.

EDIT

Ok skratch that theory

When you workout your body sends signals (i.e. releases hormones) which "tell" your cells that damage has occurred. Many of these hormones work by attatching to a receptor and then starting a signal cascade which activates "local messengers" and "secondary" hormones (i.e. prostoglandins and cAMP).
One group of local messengers are called prostoglandins. Prostoglandins are inflamitory hormones which signal the cell that the tissue has been damaged and to begin synthesizing protein. In the case of muscle tissue... lifting causes and inflammatory response to the tissue damage done by lifting. This causes prostoglandins to be synthesized and these prostoglandins continue the messege cascade, "relaying" the message to the nucleus to start DNA transcription, and thus protein synthesis. This is a good thing... it is one of the things that makes us grow.

Now a little about how prostoglandins are synthesized. They are synthesized from an essential fatty acid called Arachnidonic acid. It is called essential because your body cannot produce it from scratch. Most of the arachnidonic acid is made by converting your dietary intake of Linoleic acid to Arachnidonic acid. Most of this arachnidonic acid is stored your cells phospholipid bilayer. When you workout induced hormone (I don't know the specific hormone) attatches to the cell surface receptor, it causes phospholipase 2 to become active. This enzyme then liberates Arachnidonic acid from the phospholipid bilayer. Cyclooxygenase enzymes (COX1 and COX2) then catalyze the conversion of Arachnidonic acid to the eicosinoids PGG2 (via COX1) and this is then converted to PGH2 via COX2.

Aspirin is a covalent inhibitor of these enzymes. This means it actually attatches to the active site via an actual bond. Once it is attatched the enzyme is said to be "inhibited" and can no longer catalyze the reaction. Thus, prostoglandins cannot be synthesized, and the messege will not be sent to the Nucleus to begin protein synthesis. This has been confirmed in several experiments that show COX inhibitor administration (this includes aspirin, acetominophin, and ibuprofin) knock the exercise induced 76% rise in protein synthesis back down to baseline levels.

Thus my suggestion is to not take ECA within 5 hours of your workout. If you feel you must take a stimulant pre-workout, make sure it does not contain aspirin or any derivitave (white willow bark, et. al)

So lets recap...
Hormone signal -> phospholipase 2 active-> release of AA from membrane-> COX conversion of AA to prostoglandins(this is where aspirin stops the pathway) ->signal for protein synthesis-> protein synthesis