• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
yep if you are going to dead.

Warm up
Start lighter then get heavier in each session.
Dont go balls out unless you have been doing it a while, sure the muscles have grown and adapted, but tendons, and ligaments can take a lot longer to develope, as do the attachment and origin points on the bones.
Ensure uou have been shown correctly and have teh correct technique.
If it is too heavy to maintain that technique, practice more with lighter weights.
Chalk is awsome for grip, and can add 20 or more kg to your deads, if it is your grip that is failing you.
Have paper towel or similar handy the knurling on the bar can reak havock on your shins, and knee caps.., clean the bar and disinfect if you end up bleeding.

Just a few things I have found help, but by no means a comprehensive list.
I dont use any belts or grip type wraps, when I dead, I do strap my wrists as my right wrist "ulnar" tends to sort of pop out of the joint when pulled at.

This is a contentiuos subject, but I guess your not planning to ever compete, so whats the point of having the strength to pick up an object if you cant grab it.

I was just reading through this thread again to see what the general consensus was and I came across this comment. Now I understand you are talking about using straps etc. but that is a bit silly to say in my opinion.

If I am visiting Queensland Raceway frequently and trying to bring my own times down in my car and not competing against anyone but myself or in any racing series am I wasting my own time? I don't think so, I am learning a skill and learning to better my driving and progres in a positive way.

The same for Deadlifitng, even though I don't plan on "competing" I am still constantly trying to improve and better my own personal goals. This is to bring up my deadlift without the use of straps.

Just so were clear on this, please go to a website and understand what a deadlift actually is.

It will tell you how it is performed. It is a competition lift. No wraps. What you guys decide to do is ultimately up to you.

Deadlifters are not allowed to wear wraps in competition, so they develop a strong grip, its a must.

Its no different to squatting shallow or not touching your chest on bench. Ultimately you guys will do what you want, so do it.

Stop stressing.

If you chose to use assistance gear or not perform a lift correctly, your not hurting anyone else.

u said it josh, ill never stop deadlifting my back is better then ever because of it. as for the mixed grip i reckon it once you know your hand placements and weight distribution your flying and yes ive heard all those storys about bicep tearing but like Josh said ive seen way more ppl injure themselves on the bench and other various lifts if you dont deadlift you aint got no back

just wondering PTC you always answer with other ppl figures like so in so lifted this blah blah we dont really care about names youve pulled out of your ass what do you lift? im just saying your clearly an expert on everything gym related, im pretty sure i know how to deadlift the thread is about deadlifts not how you tell us we dont know s h i t thanks.... tell us something we dont know?

try wrapping a towel around the bar to increase diameter
or
use those pads that people use for squats

i dont find wrist curls anywhere near as effective as the other exercises

Yep, seems you guys are all over it like black on Shaq lol

Why do you think people don't understand what a deadlift is? I have worked on my deadlift with PT's (friends, never paid a PT a Dollar) and also studied Mark Ripptoe's techniques etc in deadlifting.

I know the Deadlift is used in Power Lifting comps etc, though it is a very beneficial compound lift that works basically your whole body. I started this thread by saying I am having some issues and I would like to see what other people do to push past their "issue" point. I want to do it without any assistance (wraps, belts etc.) though I still wanted to see what people use.

Now it has turned into some holier than thou bullshit. "None of my guys have issues lifting that weight, girls can lift that weight easily blah blah."

All I have really got from you is, If you don't want to compete why bother doing it correctly? That is seriously closed minded man.

true that Josh just cos some ppl arent 100% sure about deadlifts doesnt mean we dont know what were talking about

I think PTC is a good bloke and he knows his stuff obvioulsy. But when you join a forum to talk about lifting weights and start a thread about improving your deadlift I don't expect to be told I can't do it properly, or I am wasting my time if I don't plan on competing etc. For someone in his position I would expect alot different, he should be encouragin not discouraging.

Hell, hardly anybody at my gym even deadlifts. They think it is a waste of time and it takes away from building Pecs and Biceps. If someone wants to start deadlifting, or deadlifts in general you should be stoked for them as not many people seem to do it in the "Health Club" scene.

HAHA, I don't know.

I think it was me saying it is silly to say don't bother Deadlifting if you are not competing.

The reps are dependant on your goals, but the straps are simply masking a weakness.

This is a contentiuos subject, but I guess your not planning to ever compete, so whats the point of having the strength to pick up an object if you cant grab it.

If you do plan on competing, ditch the wraps. Not legal at powerlifting or Olympic lifting.

Josh, I have quoted Markos' post above. Looking at it, I don't think Markos ever said "don't bother deadlifting". From his quote, it sounds like he is saying to work on the grip if you're going to deadlift, rather than use assistance gear.

Deadlifts = shite, Tricep dumbell kickbacks for the win! *runs*

I know what you mean by clinging on for dear life. Once I hit a certain weight I am basically hanging on for dear life for each rep.
Do you do chinups at all? I don't deadlift, but with lat pulldowns I was losing my grip before my muscles got tired, I changed to doing chins, my grip strength has improved immensely. Of course you may have more grip strength than me to begin with, but it's a thought...

I do 4 sets of pull ups, 2 normal and 2 wide grip sets. All sets are 12 - 15 reps depending on how I am feeling. The wide ones SNAP me!

I do pull ups on my back day (WOW what a surprise). I either do them just before or just after deadlifts, depending on how I am feeling. When I do them before deads my deads suffer obviously, though when I do pull ups after deads they suffer a bit too. I alternate them. I used to be able to do quite a few reps on pull ups, but now I have issues with stamina due to lifting heavy with less reps.

I find chalk helps heaps, stops slippage. Can get painful though. Learnt the hard way- do not slap chalk. You end up suffocating in white particles. Rub chalk.