• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
You always say this Markos, but I (we?) are doing 10-12 reps, not a 1 rep max. I'm sure I'll be able to do to a 1 rep max of much higher then that.

Black R34 GTR. mmm mmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! I am tossing up about what my next car is going to be once I finish uni. It will either be R34 GTR or an Evo 8MR or 9GSR. 471AWKW!!! Holy moly that would have been intense. Was that with twins or a big single? Do you do events in your cars as well?

Well, I have just purchased a PAR 5 speed box for my GTiR as I have damaged 2 gearboxes while competing.

Then I hope your happy with your grip strength Howzit, keep doing what youre doing.

Josh, my 33 had a Greddy T88H -38GK, full Trust kit. No events, just my every day driver...seriously.

Mixed grip is one palm forward, one back?

I read that there is a decent risk of tearing your bicep and that it puts uneven load on the shoulders. I have been able to lift more with that grip but it also feels akward as i can never get the weight to feel evenly distributed in each hand.

Does anyone use the hook grip for deads? I've tried it but just end up crushing my thumb and its too much of a distraction.

I never intend to compete and im sick of my deadlift sets being ruined by grip failure. its so frustrating. I'm gettin sum straps. I guess the point of doing it with straps is to work every other muscle adequately, other than the forearm

I saw a vid on youtube of someone tearing their bi. Looked nasty, that's why I don't do heavy weights with mixed grip anymore.

Do you guys Bench Press? Because I have seen heaps of accidents on youtube with people failing and smashing themselves. Though it hasn't stopped me. If I didn't do things because they are "too dangerous" or "you can hurt yourself" well I would be a fat cvnt sitting on my lounger watching tv etc. F U C K that! Harden up and push it!

Do you guys Bench Press? Because I have seen heaps of accidents on youtube with people failing and smashing themselves. Though it hasn't stopped me. If I didn't do things because they are "too dangerous" or "you can hurt yourself" well I would be a fat cvnt sitting on my lounger watching tv etc. F U C K that! Harden up and push it!

The way i see it that is not a fair comparison. If im being sensble and benching and i fail i can usually squirm to get the bar up, or someone around can help me get it back up. worst case scenario is its stuck on my chest and the plates go one way or the other and bar goes other way crashes with a bang and much embarrassment. I'll bet a case of a bench press gone wrong is due to poor form, not experienced, too much weight. basically a user error.

But you can do a deadlift with a mixed grip, using proper form, just going for a pb and because of the uneven load on the bicep, you tear it and have a pretty serious injury. Not for me thanks. I keep doing deads btw, i dont say "They are too dangerous im not doing them", i just choose the safer option over putting a few extra kgs on the bar.

But hey, you keep "going hard" man, maybe u can have ur own you tube vid too.

Last edited:
Howzit, I forgot to mention that some cockmuncher from WA accused the lifters at PTC of only doing 1RM on another forum.

I'm guessing you havent read the latest newsletter, so I'll just put up these lifts for you. Understand I have 100 clients and I cant post what they do for every set, but rest assured, we do stacks of high rep stuff.

As for deadlifts, hows this

James 200kg x 11
Louie 200kg x 10
Kelly 200kg x 7
Simon 200kg x 5

No wraps, no belt, no problem. Spiros was piss farting around the other day and did 180kg x 10 while WARMING UP. Twenty would be piss easy for him.

Is that enough grip for you?

Injuries will always happen. Vince Taylor tore BOTH biceps pumping up with 15lb DB's at a Pro show, I'm guessing all you guys still curl.

I severed my right pec benching, I still bench.

Funny enough, never had an injury squatting and deadlifting.

But hey, you keep "going hard" man, maybe u can have ur own you tube vid too.

It's funny though, how many people use mixed grip for deadlifts, Rows etc and never have an issue with a bicep tearing? I bet it is a VERY small amount of people who actually end up doing that. I am always careful with form and technique and always listen to what my body is telling me.

Injuries can happen with anything, I don't let "my mate's, mother's, dog's, girlfriend's, uncle" injured himself doing that get to me. I can definitely see what you are are saying Tony in that it can happen, but so can many other excersizes like tearing a Pectoral muscle as PTC has said. He still benches though.

And both howzit and i still deadlift. we just try to reduce our risk of injury when doing it. It is the excercise that you use the most weight for in the end. I think deadlift probably has the most potential for injury so you may as well put the odds in ur favour if you can. Plus you could argue that a non-mixed grip :) is better for developing grip anyway. I was just reacting to ur "harden the fark up" tone.

I guess the reason why I wrote harden up also stems to another comment I made about a PT saying not to deadlift because of a stupid accident he saw someone have when deadlifting. If people always worried about that stuff they wouldn't progress, progression is about risk and managing the risk and pushing yourself.

I probably didn't read right myself and for some reason had it in my head that you don't deadlift because of it. At the end of the day, each to their own. If you are prepared to take on some risk for some gain, you should make sure you are paying close attention to what you are doing.

Okay, interesting subject.

I stand to lose a lot by having a client get injured. An injured client cant train, so I dont get paid, my mortgage doesnt get paid and my kids dont eat.

I have a fine balancing act of getting clients stronger WITHOUT injuring them.

My pec tear by the way happened in 1996, long before PTC lol

In 20 months, with over 200 people lifting at PTC, I have had 2 hamstring and one thigh injuries, thats it.

A 60yo client had a hamstring pull while deadlifting 100kg, and 2 others pulled muscles sprinting.

Now when you consider the fact that 36 lifters have pulled 200kg in the gym, its safe to say that deadlifting is NOT dangerous. In fact its the safest of all 3 major lifts.

If anything goes wrong, the bar falls to the floor, not the case with squats and bench press.

I was reckless when I lifted, a real strength junkie, too much weight was always never enough. I'm 47 so I survived, i've still benched 150kg with only 1 pec lol

I am far more cautious with my family, frends and clients.

Everyone deadlifts at PTC, this is the best insurance policy I have against getting injured. And we deadlift maximum weight.

Howzit, I forgot to mention that some cockmuncher from WA accused the lifters at PTC of only doing 1RM on another forum.

I'm guessing you havent read the latest newsletter, so I'll just put up these lifts for you. Understand I have 100 clients and I cant post what they do for every set, but rest assured, we do stacks of high rep stuff.

As for deadlifts, hows this

James 200kg x 11
Louie 200kg x 10
Kelly 200kg x 7
Simon 200kg x 5

No wraps, no belt, no problem. Spiros was piss farting around the other day and did 180kg x 10 while WARMING UP. Twenty would be piss easy for him.

Is that enough grip for you?

Injuries will always happen. Vince Taylor tore BOTH biceps pumping up with 15lb DB's at a Pro show, I'm guessing all you guys still curl.

I severed my right pec benching, I still bench.

Funny enough, never had an injury squatting and deadlifting.

Ah nice, that is impressive then :) I did some dead today, 140kg without straps for a few sets. After I just hanged off the pullup bar with 20kg strapped to me till failure, ouch!

Yeah, deadlift is safe, if you have the technique good. If you don't you should be working on an empty bar :p

How long did you do the dead hang for, howzit?

My next goal is 2 mins but I do them without weights strapped to me (never thought of that till now!!)

So no one uses straps then?

I do, they are the greatest things for holding onto the bar. I use the loop and tail ones, as opposed to figure 8, much prefer the tail, dunno why, probably just in my head!

I'm going to give 3x3 deadlifts a go with no straps and see how i go. If it's no good i will go back to 5x5 with straps.

i had problems gripping 1RM 120kg, added chalk and mixed grip and have no problem with deadlift grip anymore and i dead much more for reps now. i think the knurling on the bar can make a bit of difference if your not using chalk too. straps i would never use just on the basis that your covering up a weakness, your hands will never strengthen if the straps are doing the work for you.

seriously though since i started using chalk the only fear i have is one of my callouses tearing off!

I really need to get some chalk. Is it a matter of just slapping it on your hands?

I too would prefer to not have to use straps.